The Jim Boeheim Show - after Oakland | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - after Oakland

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Monday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,
Thursday, March 5, 7:00 pm.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, you mentioned that our big men lack muscle and that’s why opposing big men are scoring and rebounding so much against them. It seems like we’ve had a lot of skinny big men in recent years. We used to have guys like Arinze Onuaku and Rick Jackson. Do you recruit for a certain body type? Would Arinze and Rick fit in with what we are doing these days?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

On the Oakland game: “We did a lot of good things. Oakland is a sound team, really good inside. They will make a run at their conference title and a spot in the NCAA tournament. The game was supposed to be a 10-12 point game. Their center is a 60% free throw shooter who went 8 for 8. Hill-Mais is a 70% guy who went 4 for 4. The half-court shot wasn’t a shot- it was a heave. That was the best defense we played all year. We even contested the half-court shot. He had to shoot it around someone. We missed our first 5-6 shots of each half but still scored 74 points and made 11 threes. We got enough good looks that we should have made more. I think we are now leading the nation in assisted field goals. Last year people complained that we didn’t pass the ball enough. Now they are complaining that we pass it too much. (We are?) We’ve got four guys with a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio. Most teams have 1 or 2. That’s unheard of in forwards and we have two of them. It’s incredible passing in terms of moving the ball. (Isn’t that what passing is?) it’s more complicated. We do 10-15 things to get open shots from three. Elijah’s got to get into the lane more. Tyus could get around anybody. We’re not going to overpower anybody unless we have one of those nights where we can’t miss.

On his controversial comments in the post-game presser: “The atmosphere in the Dome was so quiet it was sickening. You could hear conversations in the upper deck. I have no issues with the fans in general. People say they will come out and cheer when we are playing well. It’s when we aren’t playing well that we need you. We had at least 12,000 people. That’s more than enough to make some noise. When they started to do so, we got a couple of steals. I’m too old to be leading cheers.

On North Florida: “They are totally different from Oakland. Everybody shoots threes. They are 31 in the nation in the number of threes they’ve made and it’s not close.” Matt said that they are hitting 12.5 three per game and had 21 in one game. Jim said that they scored 80 on Florida State, “one of the best man for man teams in the country. “

Duke was playing Wofford, who had just beaten North Carolina. “They are a really good team. They move the ball. Duke will be rusty- they haven’t played a game in 12 days. Carolina is a different team without Cole Anthony.”

Josh in Colorado asked about all the #1 ranked teams that keep losing. He also wondered if the weakness of the ACC will hurt us. JB: “We might get fewer teams in the tournament but the league is still as strong as anybody. The top teams are weaker. Last year we had three #1 seeds. But the bottom teams have been pulling off upsets. Wake Forest beat Xavier, Notre Dame beat UCLA, NC State beat Wisconsin, etc. Every league has weaknesses. There’s no clear #1 team, although Gonzaga looks pretty good. Josh also asked about the James Weisman situation at Memphis. JB: “There might be more behind that than we know. The coaches seemed surprised at his announcement. They have a chance to win a national championship. He’ll go in the top 3 of the draft.

Captain J wanted a question that would get JB riled up at me because he couldn’t imagine that would ever happen. I thought maybe asking why we don’t have guys like Arinze Onuaku or Rick Jackson any more might do it. But I undercut that with some humor at the beginning of the exchange. I said that it’s a bad year to be a #1 team and I’m glad we aren’t one this year. JB laughed and said he still wouldn’t mind it- even if you lose you’re probably #7. Then I suggested that if he needed a coach to lead the cheers for the fans that maybe Roy Danforth wasn’t doing anything, (Roy famously led the Manley Zoo in cheered if they promised not to misbehave in a game against Jim Valvano’s Bucknell team back in the early 70’s). Jim admitted that Roy would be better at it than he is.

Being in such a good mood, Jim’s answer was very polite: “We are always trying to recruit good big guys. Paschal was big. He wasn’t wide but he was long and the other team’s big guys didn’t have big games because they were intimidated by him. We’ve been unlucky. Most of the top Big Ten teams- Ohio State, Wisconsin, Minnesota - don’t have good big guys. We just were matched against the two teams that did- Penn State and Iowa. Then Oakland had two good big guys. On one play, Hill-Mais bumped Bourama and bumped Marek and made a short jump shot. Bourama got 13 boards, which was big for us and 2-3 steals, (4 actually). I watched the tape and we did a lot of good things in that game.”

“Quincy made 2-3 good passes and was very aggressive. He tipped a pass and jumped for a rebound when he didn’t need to. It’s a learning process. It takes freshman a while sometimes. Joe Girard has a better than 2-1 assist to turnover ratio as a freshman. Our guards were pretty good on defense last night. It’s hard for them to rebound in a zone when they have to be out defending the three point line. We have three guys who can make 6-7 threes. A lot of teams push up on us but that creates areas of opportunity with no help defense. It’s a very valuable tool…I don’t know why people keep encouraging Marek to take threes. He’s not making them….Brycen is a tremendous talent but he’s still figuring it out.”

He is very excited about the year Elijah Hughes is having. “If you look at all his numbers, I’m not sure there’s another player in the country as productive as he is. He’s averaging 20 points a game, shooting 40% form three, 80% from the foul line. He’s averaging 4 assists, blocking shots and handling the ball.” Matt looked it up during a break and Elijah is one of two players who have played at least 10 games, 200 points, 40 rebounds, 40 assists, 10 blocks and 10 steals. The other is Cameron Krutwig, a 6-9 255 pound center for Loyola of Chicago. JB: “He (Elijah), has gone against some strong defenses. Virginia has the best defense in the country and Oklahoma State one of the best. Penn state, Iowa and Georgetown are also =very good on defense.”

A caller, (didn’t get the name), wanted to know the role of analytics in modern basketball. JB: It’s not as important as it seems to be in baseball. You can do it without talking about it. Quincy is 2 for 16 from three. Marek is 1 for 6 and it hasn’t been close. They’ve got to drive to get to the foul line. On defense you have to make sure their best 1-2 guys don’t get the shots they like. You don’t need a computer interface for that.”

Tom wanted to know why we play zone all the time: why don’t we play some man for man, too? (Tom has been living in a cave these last ten years.) JB: “We always used to play both. We’d play more man-to-man some years, more zone in others. It depended on the personnel, which was a little different in those days. It wasn’t just that we lost to LeMoyne. It was that we gave up 80 points to LeMoyne playing man for man and when we switched to all zone we beat North Carolina by 15 points. Playing one defense we can spend more time on it and get better at playing it. If we played man for man with this team, we’d be over-powered down low, (not like now). Once you are committed to one defense you can’t go back and start teaching the other in mid-season. I’m not being stubborn. The zone is the best defense for this team and gives us the best chance to win. As we go through the year our young guys will get better and better at it. We did some really good things with it last night.”

On Tom Coughlin: “When you don’t win somebody’s going to go. It’s not about what you did then. It’s about what you are doing now.”

Tonight’s trivia question was: who scored the most points for Syracuse in the decade from 2010-2019?

COACH BOEHEIM
We’ve got four guys with a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio. Most teams have 1 or 2. That’s unheard of in forwards and we have two of them. It’s incredible passing in terms of moving the ball. (Isn’t that what passing is?) it’s more complicated.

We do? Who are the four? Is he really counting Howard Washington?
Hughes works!
JGIII qualifies! Barely.
Uhhhh, who are the others? We seem like most teams.

“We are always trying to recruit good big guys. Paschal was big. He wasn’t wide but he was long and the other team’s big guys didn’t have big games because they were intimidated by him. We’ve been unlucky. Most of the top Big Ten teams- Ohio State, Wisconsin, Minnesota - don’t have good big guys. We just were matched against the two teams that did- Penn State and Iowa.

Unlucky?

Virginia has the best defense in the country and Oklahoma State one of the best. Penn state, Iowa and Georgetown are also =very good on defense.”

Penn State and Iowa are really good on defense? Huh.

Three pointers tend to produce more assists than drives to the basket because the player receiving the pass doesn't take a step closer to the basket.

(Now, if we would dish on drives to the basket, things might even up but our guys tend to try to go all the way because look who they'd be dishing it to. )

"It’s not about what you did then. It’s about what you are doing now.” Wise words from a wise man who cannot see the writing on the wall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom