The Jim Boeheim Show - before NC State | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before NC State

Exactly. Why does this faulty logic apply to Buddy but not to Bras? Had that game where he hit those 3's in the first half, then rode the bench all second half!
Jesse plays well and contributes one game, has an I guess "bad" practice, and watches Marek get big-boyed in yet another pathetic loss.
How about a concept of "Oh isht, this crap ain't working- we're getting shredded! So...let's try something else" for a change, Jim?

Yeah, I do think we shoot ourselves in the foot at times by trying to run out the string with the same lineup.

I think it was NC State last year where Bras came in and had like 13 steals in 2 minutes (not literally). Things happen in 2 minutes. He, Kadary, Woody - they don't even have to impact the game solely by making a shot/pass. It's why they're nice options on the bench.

Sometimes you learn something about a player by having him out there, sometimes you change up the pace of the game, more movement in the offense, etc...but we seem to just sit in dread and wait for the first mistake before going back to the lineup that all too often is NOT working.

All that being said, sometimes they'll come in, and SUCK, but that's why you sub - to find a solution (and hopefully not one that was pre-determined before we even started the game).

Last edited:
Thanks for the recap.

What I've learned is that Bourama Sidibe is a combination of Bill Russell and Shaquille O'Neal. But better.

Apparently losing him has been like the USA Swimming relay team losing Michael Phelps. Guy is a first ballot, hall of famer.

When we had DC, Owens, Douglas, Stevie — we were blowing teams out. Didn’t have to scratch out wins. Same for Michael Jordan at NC - his NC teams were winning easily, he can let the subs finish.

‘Also depends on who your next 2 or 3 guys are on the bench. How much drop off from the starters?
There's some truth to that. I don't think we had that many blowouts in conference play. It would be interesting to see whether those guys played 40 min in the tough games.

I long for the days when November-December was one cupcake after another and the critics would attack our soft schedule, never leaving home, etc. Now we're so soft nothing is a given.

Thanks for the recap.

What I've learned is that Bourama Sidibe is a combination of Bill Russell and Shaquille O'Neal. But better.

Apparently losing him has been like the USA Swimming relay team losing Michael Phelps. Guy is a first ballot, hall of famer.

When you exaggerate what someone said it suggests you don't have an argument against what they actually said.

He is just the biggest walking contradiction at this point...I take nothing he says serious these days
JB is clearly most comfortable with the designated starters on the court for as long as possible. With some exceptions, this has been his primary MO for 45 years. Kadary's play has forced his hand this year to a degree, so he is seeing minutes every game. The "reasons" he gives in the PCs, especially after loses, have increasingly sounded like rationalizations to support playing the starters. It doesn't seem to matter if those rationalizations are contradictory, inconsistent, not supported by stats, or nonsensical. I'd much rather hear him say: "I play who I play and those are the players I think are the best. Period. I'm accountable for the results tonight and at the end of the season."

When you exaggerate what someone said it suggests you don't have an argument against what they actually said.
I wasn't criticizing you, SWC.

Boeheim seems all in on the notion that our lack of center play is, by far, the biggest thing harming the team. It's a big factor, no doubt, but the impact that Sidibe might have had is being built up to legendary proportions, IMHO.

Boeheim seems all in on the notion that our lack of center play is, by far, the biggest thing harming the team. It's a big factor, no doubt, but the impact that Sidibe might have had is being built up to legendary proportions, IMHO.
My reply would be why there isn’t another option on the roster?

Thin skinned HOF that one

When we had DC, Owens, Douglas, Stevie — we were blowing teams out. Didn’t have to scratch out wins. Same for Michael Jordan at NC - his NC teams were winning easily, he can let the subs finish.

‘Also depends on who your next 2 or 3 guys are on the bench. How much drop off from the starters?
Last two games have been blowouts in two different directions yet we still see the same guys playing until the end. Seems like your logic may be flawed.

I was so prepared to stop joining the "Beating The Dead Horse" (BTDH) Syndrome that's afflicted this board, especially after that post earlier in the week about the same subject. But these comments by JB are honestly my worse nightmare.
He really doesn't seem to get it. HOF'er, greatest SU coach ever, face of the program, etc.- all well and good. Love the guy, but its starting to look like Dan Schayes' comments about him are on the money.

* BTW- does anyone have the direct Schayes quote? It was mentioned as part of a podcast I believe.

Everybody want's to be big tough guys and call me out about my question towards JB about nepotism with Buddy (my only critique on him) If so many of you are upsets with his comments call him up next Thursday and call him out on them.

Steph Curry and Klay Thompson do come out of games! His take on minutes distribution and playing time is transparently ridiculous. He should be playing Jesse in the middle and Woody or Braswell at the wing every game.

Someone needs to remind him on one of these shows that guys like Melo didn’t even play 40 mpg! It is demonstrable that over the past decade he’s started playing guys (even mediocre or one dimensional players) way more minutes than he used to. He’s regressed as a coach in this and other areas.
He should also be reminded that our championship team went 8 deep:
Melo, GMAC, Kueth, Forth, Hakim, Edelin, Pace, McNeil.

Everybody want's to be big tough guys and call me out about my question towards JB about nepotism with Buddy (my only critique on him) If so many of you are upsets with his comments call him up next Thursday and call him out on them.

I see what you just did, touché.

Sarcasm is a way of responding. JB uses it too.

"Sarcasm refers to the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say, especially in order to insult someone, or to show irritation, or just to be funny."

JB is clearly most comfortable with the designated starters on the court for as long as possible. With some exceptions, this has been his primary MO for 45 years. Kadary's play has forced his hand this year to a degree, so he is seeing minutes every game. The "reasons" he gives in the PCs, especially after loses, have increasingly sounded like rationalizations to support playing the starters. It doesn't seem to matter if those rationalizations are contradictory, inconsistent, not supported by stats, or nonsensical. I'd much rather hear him say: "I play who I play and those are the players I think are the best. Period. I'm accountable for the results tonight and at the end of the season."
Kadary only goes if Buddy or Joe are cold at the 12min mark. I guarantee if Buddy and Joe are both making 3s to start the game, we don’t see Kadary

Kadary only goes if Buddy or Joe are cold at the 12min mark. I guarantee if Buddy and Joe are both making 3s to start the game, we don’t see Kadary
I hear you. My point is that, unlike any other player on the bench, I don't think we will see a DNP after Kadary's name unless he is injured/sick. I agree, if Bubby and/or Joe are on fire, especially Buddy, they are going to see 35+ mins.

If Buddy is on fire all game, I totally agree with JB that he is too much of a weapon not to have on the floor. He distorts the defense in ways that Joe cannot. What I have a problem with is leaving him on the floor 38+ under the premise that he could potentially get hot at any time. There are a couple of infamous posters in this thread who think pointing that out is "despicable" or disrespectful of JB. That's idiotic at best. I also think that JB should play whoever the hell he wants. Just don't fabricate reasons for doing so.

I hear you. My point is that, unlike any other player on the bench, I don't think we will see a DNP after Kadary's name unless he is injured/sick. I agree, if Bubby and/or Joe are on fire, especially Buddy, they are going to see 35+ mins.

If Buddy is on fire all game, I totally agree with JB that he is too much of a weapon not to have on the floor. He distorts the defense in ways that Joe cannot. What I have a problem with is leaving him on the floor 38+ under the premise that he could potentially get hot at any time. There are a couple of infamous posters in this thread who think pointing that out is "despicable" or disrespectful of JB. That's idiotic at best. I also think that JB should play whoever the hell he wants. Just don't fabricate reasons for doing so.
All good points- though I’ll disagree that JB is fabricating reasons about his logic.
IMO, he’s just not wired like that- i think he believes what he’s saying.
Granted, I don’t think i ever heard a coach say; “Even though he’s 2-15, I left (fill-in-the-blank) in the game, because he MIGHT get hot”. And especially if they’re alternatives on the bench. It’s unnerving that he believes that.

The other team's defense also matters. if they are playing zone, we need shooters. if they are in man to man, we'll see more of Kadary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom