The Jim Boeheim Show - before NC State | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before NC State

"Sarcasm refers to the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say, especially in order to insult someone, or to show irritation, or just to be funny."
Nowhere in that definition does it say "opposite." It says ironic. Exaggeration is also frequently used in sarcasm. Regardless, your response doesn't change my point. It is indeed one way a person can respond to another person and it is a way JB sometimes chooses to respond to others.

Nowhere in that definition does it say "opposite." It says ironic. Exaggeration is also frequently used in sarcasm. Regardless, your response doesn't change my point. It is indeed one way a person can respond to another person and it is a way JB sometimes chooses to respond to others.

It's under Frequently Asked Questions:

"Sarcasm refers to the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say, especially in order to insult someone, or to show irritation, or just to be funny. For example, saying "they're really on top of things" to describe a group of people who are very disorganized is using sarcasm. Most often, sarcasm is biting, and intended to cause pain. Irony can also refer to the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say; the "they're really on top of things" statement about the very disorganized group of people can also be described as an ironic statement. But irony can also refer to a situation that is strange or funny because things happen in a way that seems to be the opposite of what you expected; for example, it is ironic if someone who was raised by professional musicians but who wanted a very different kind of life then fell in love with and married a professional musician."

My point also remains: If you have to invent a statement that was not made in order to argue with or criticize someone, it implies that you are unable to argue with them or criticize what they actually did say. That is not sarcasm.

By his logic if Joe and Buddy are a combined 0 for 12, they will be due to hit their next one and it will start a run, totally ignoring the fact that the poor shooting probably contributes to being in a deficit

Shooting is a valuable asset but its not the only part of the game
he literally thinks they are Steph and Klay from the Warriors

Boeheim sounds like a guy with a gambling problem.

I wasn't criticizing you, SWC.

Boeheim seems all in on the notion that our lack of center play is, by far, the biggest thing harming the team. It's a big factor, no doubt, but the impact that Sidibe might have had is being built up to legendary proportions, IMHO.

Whether or not Boeheim really, really believes that is scary.

Because if he really believes it, and won't try one single actual scholarship player who is a center, when we've seen a few flashes, then that's just bad coaching, and even worse recruiting.

Why did you offer scholarships to not one, but THREE centers who aren't good enough to play? How do you really know?

I've been to a lot of your practices. So much of your practices are just drills. You can't tell shtt about how someone will play in a game from running drills. You have to see them live in games against a hostile team, not a 20 minute scrimmage against your teammates.

But the even more troubling part is that he doesn't acknowledge that Joe and Buddy together are a big weakness at the top of the zone. You need at least 1 quick guy who can get in front of an opponent who wants to drive the lane.

Also with our zone, it's better with tall rangy guys with lateral quickness up top. We have a couple of them on the bench, one of whom he only plays at forward even though he's only 6-5, and the other guy is 6-8, can shoot the three, has played the 2 in live games, and he doesn't play at all, even though when given the chance he has delivered.

It's the obviousness of what he's denying. It's right in front of all of us to see. You aren't pulling some Jedi mind trick, JB. We are watching the same thing as you. We just draw different conclusions.

When he says stuff like this, it sounds like he can't bring himself to fix it. And I'm sorry, but that means he must go. This stuff is so over. We're just killing time until he leaves.

What I don’t get is JB says RB is best defender on back line and one of the better shooters on team, yet he barely plays. He says he likes everything WN does, yet he barely plays. Says Edwards played great and won game for us, yet he barely plays.

Says AG cant play up top on D? He is the same size and type of athlete as Tyus? Not sure why we don‘t use more players and throw some full court /half court press in like we used to do in the old days. We only press now when we are down late in game.

Coach is becoming more stubborn in old age.

It's under Frequently Asked Questions:

"Sarcasm refers to the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say, especially in order to insult someone, or to show irritation, or just to be funny. For example, saying "they're really on top of things" to describe a group of people who are very disorganized is using sarcasm. Most often, sarcasm is biting, and intended to cause pain. Irony can also refer to the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say; the "they're really on top of things" statement about the very disorganized group of people can also be described as an ironic statement. But irony can also refer to a situation that is strange or funny because things happen in a way that seems to be the opposite of what you expected; for example, it is ironic if someone who was raised by professional musicians but who wanted a very different kind of life then fell in love with and married a professional musician."

My point also remains: If you have to invent a statement that was not made in order to argue with or criticize someone, it implies that you are unable to argue with them or criticize what they actually did say. That is not sarcasm.
What was originally said that you took objection to was sarcasm. It just was. If you can't see it, I can't help you. I honestly think you can but have just made the decision to dig your heels in because you didn't like the way in which someone chose to make a point. It may have been used because the poster could not develop a legitimate argument. However, I don't believe that to be the case because the poster has frequently made well thought out arguments in the past. It may have. Been used out of frustration. That's how JB uses it the most.

Quite a while ago I posted the minutes played for guys like DC, Owens, Douglas, etc. Those guys certainly played a lot of minutes, as they should have, but not as many as we see guys play now. Somehow player of the year candidates came out of games.

Michael Jordan played 31.7 mpg his junior year at UNC, and that was the most he played there.
College Jordan is a bad example.

Who's the only person to hold Jordan below 20 ppg? Dean Smith.

What was originally said that you took objection to was sarcasm. It just was. If you can't see it, I can't help you. I honestly think you can but have just made the decision to dig your heels in because you didn't like the way in which someone chose to make a point. It may have been used because the poster could not develop a legitimate argument. However, I don't believe that to be the case because the poster has frequently made well thought out arguments in the past. It may have. Been used out of frustration. That's how JB uses it the most.

Sorry if i came off as too strident and judgmental.

I'm just tired of people creating alternate realities and getting contentious over illusions.

The three problems with this team, in rank order IMHO are:

1) we lost our center four minutes into the season and our interior defense and defensive rebounding has been lacking, to say the least since then. It has nothing to do with Bourama being a superstar, just an important cog in the machine, as Arinze was in 2010.

2) A team full of talented shooters and passers is shooting 32% from three, 233rd in the nation. (But as JB points out when he's not being scarcastic, we are still averaging 78 points a game. The problem is, were giving up 80 points a game in our losses - see #1)

3) JB sticks with his starting line-up even when they are not scoring when he's got guys on the bench who have shown they can make a difference in the game. And he 's doing this in an era when guys who aren't playing are free to leave for greener pastures.

Those are enough problems to discuss. We don't have to make up or exaggerate anything.

Sorry if i came off as too strident and judgmental.

I'm just tired of people creating alternate realities and getting contentious over illusions.

The three problems with this team, in rank order IMHO are:

1) we lost our center four minutes into the season and our interior defense and defensive rebounding has been lacking, to say the least since then. It has nothing to do with Bourama being a superstar, just an important cog in the machine, as Arinze was in 2010.

2) A team full of talented shooters and passers is shooting 32% from three, 233rd in the nation. (But as JB points out when he's not being scarcastic, we are still averaging 78 points a game. The problem is, were giving up 80 points a game in our losses - see #1)

3) JB sticks with his starting line-up even when they are not scoring when he's got guys on the bench who have shown they can make a difference in the game. And he 's doing this in an era when guys who aren't playing are free to leave for greener pastures.

Those are enough problems to discuss. We don't have to make up or exaggerate anything.
Amen

College Jordan is a bad example.

Who's the only person to hold Jordan below 20 ppg? Dean Smith.
I don't see that as a reason for him being a bad example. He was the bedst player in the country. What another poster said about him coming out if games early because of blowouts is a better argument. It would be interesting to see how many minutes he played in their losses.

I don't see that as a reason for him being a bad example. He was the bedst player in the country. What another poster said about him coming out if games early because of blowouts is a better argument. It would be interesting to see how many minutes he played in their lo sses.
That was Dean Smith's MO. He spread out the minutes. Remember the Blue Team? He'd send his bench guys out there en masse--all 5 positions. They would go 2,3,4 minutes like mad dogs. Plus, he had Worthy and Perkins. :)

That was Dean Smith's MO. He spread out the minutes. Remember the Blue Team? He'd send his bench guys out there en masse--all 5 positions. They would go 2,3,4 minutes like mad dogs. Plus, he had Worthy and Perkins. :)
He didn't have Worthy the year I referenced. However, that was still a deep team.

I played on a rec league team years back that did hockey line substitutions. You'd go balls out for 5 or 6 minutes and then get a breather, and right when you felt recharged it was right back in.

It was a blast. It helped that we had two well rounded lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom