The Jim Boeheim Show- before Notre Dame | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show- before Notre Dame

Should I continue doing them?
Absolutely. Don't stop on my account at all. I can monitor my own mental health :)

Actually, I thought the most controversial thing he said was the 'critics' and 'fans' are two different kinds of people and no one can belong to both categories, similar to his statement last year that the critics never come to the games. Does he look around the Dome and say "Everyone here loves me and wants me to coach forever"?
Yeah, I noticed that, but honestly fine with it. he's bitter. If that's how he feels, ok.

Should I continue doing them?
by all means yes, I have a family commitment every Thursday night and rarely able to listen. I never am able to find it archived on TuneIn, Varsity and Twitch, maybe I am technologically challenged that way. I depend on SWC for his super reporting of these shows, in good times and bad times. To coin a phrase, yes Virginia there is a need, we need SWC on the job!

Thanks as always for your recaps, SWC, and adding some of the fact checking notes.

I'm starting to get concerned that JB can't even stay consistent in his excuses/lies about why Syracuse did not land impact players in the portal between his afternoon and evening radio appearances on the SAME DAY. In the afternoon, the problem was lack of NIL money and at night, the he thought the roster was good enough.

Also, his comments about freshmen on Illinois were troubling. In the afternoon, he said there was one guy who barely played. They had at least 3 freshmen play 15+ minutes, including Epps who scored 11 points and made 3 3-pointers. Does JB even read the scouting report at this point?

I don't know that we have a bad roster. I can see this group of talents maturing and coming together to form a good team. The problem is that, in modern basketball, that may not be possible. These guys might be on other teams when they fully mature. And yet, do we have the resources to put together a team of guys who can play at a high level immediately and will stay because they've already used the portal?
There is definitely talent on this roster. The question in my mind is how long will it take for the Freshman to get comfortable playing at this level and will the team be able to be competitive this season. I keep reminding myself we are only 7 games into the season. The Illinois game almost broke me.

Joe's play has been the most concerning to me. I figured Judah would hit some growing pains, but if he puts it all together this season we still have a chance to be decent. I think the ceiling for this team is a a double digit seed in the tournament. For that to happen Judah needs to be special. That means we would lose Judah, Jessie and Joe after the season. The rebuild would start all over next season. This is not where anyone wants the program to be.

The problem is that, in modern basketball, that may not be possible.
Nearly every other team in P5 has to work in the same environment with the exception of the same teams who had marked advantages before NIL - except now everything is out in the open. It's the mid-majors and low D1 schools who are becoming a de facto minor league to the P5. There is nothing that ~90% of the P5 schools are doing that Syracuse can't compete with.

Last edited:
C'mon...the answer is simple.
All he's saying is that The Orange just have to make some shots.

Do agree though on Justin Taylor having a great future (and pretty good present) and that developing 4 year players is the best way to go (good luck getting them these days).
It’s a great plan, for a mid major.

This is why what he says means nothing.

It's either willful ignorance, performative lies or he's so insulated in his own world that he truly believes the nonsense.

None of it is good.
I vote Alternate Reality.

To deny that we have trouble inbounding the ball against pressure is just ridiculous. Syracuse teams have had trouble inbounding for 40 years. The players change but the problem remains. Has to be the scheme used. Just copy what some other teams that are good at it do instead of doing the same old same old.

There is definitely talent on this roster. The question in my mind is how long will it take for the Freshman to get comfortable playing at this level and will the team be able to be competitive this season. I keep reminding myself we are only 7 games into the season. The Illinois game almost broke me.

Joe's play has been the most concerning to me. I figured Judah would hit some growing pains, but if he puts it all together this season we still have a chance to be decent. I think the ceiling for this team is a a double digit seed in the tournament. For that to happen Judah needs to be special. That means we would lose Judah, Jessie and Joe after the season. The rebuild would start all over next season. This is not where anyone wants the program to be.
Re: next season, Jesse could very well come back. Judah isn’t one and done. And, hello, like Fran said, you POUND THE PORTAL. Which everyone wanted JB to do last year. But you have to make the time and commitment to it. Fran also pointed out that one guy on the staff should be solely tasked with watching games and evaluating and identifying possible portal players to pursue in the off season. That’s what the best teams and coaches like Musselman, Bruce Pearl, Scott Drew, etc are doing. The NIL excuse is a smokescreen to hide JB’s disinterest in doing the work to succeed in the portal. If Providence and UConn can mine the portal to rebuild or supplement their rosters, we certainly can. I mean, the one transfer we landed in the off season (Hima) is already a shining success in my book as a really solid backup center with big upside. A lot more could have been done last offseason to find a really good small forward, which would have made this team alot better.

To deny that we have trouble inbounding the ball against pressure is just ridiculous. Syracuse teams have had trouble inbounding for 40 years. The players change but the problem remains. Has to be the scheme used. Just copy what some other teams that are good at it do instead of doing the same old same old.

JB once had a good reputation for designing plays out of a time-out. It hasn't been 40 years.

Re: next season, Jesse could very well come back. Judah isn’t one and done. And, hello, like Fran said, you POUND THE PORTAL. Which everyone wanted JB to do last year. But you have to make the time and commitment to it. Fran also pointed out that one guy on the staff should be solely tasked with watching games and evaluating and identifying possible portal players to pursue in the off season. That’s what the best teams and coaches like Musselman, Bruce Pearl, Scott Drew, etc are doing. The NIL excuse is a smokescreen to hide JB’s disinterest in doing the work to succeed in the portal. If Providence and UConn can mine the portal to rebuild or supplement their rosters, we certainly can. I mean, the one transfer we landed in the off season (Hima) is already a shining success in my book as a really solid backup center with big upside. A lot more could have been done last offseason to find a really good small forward, which would have made this team alot better.

JB obviously had the time and commitment to pound the high school beat. This is about where he chose to use it.

frankly i still tune in and listen when i can but much of what comes out of his mouth is pure pastrami anymore.
wise men say the first step toward enlightenment is realizing your own ignorance. JB seems to have lost the humility to admit he ever makes mistakes. therefore he has become unable to learn anything going forward.

Last edited:
I think this can be a good team before the season is over. I like the fact that we play defense well. That can keep us in games. I think I'd rather have to improve a bad offensive team, (especially with talented young players) than to try to improve a bad defensive team.

In fact, that might be a question for next week: which is easier to do?

I am not arguing with your blue print at all, it can work. But as you stated, that won't work with JB at the helm. I don't think Judah is one-and-done. However, all that matters is what Judah thinks is in his own best interest. Judah will get enough visibility at Syracuse to play professionally next season if that is the decision he wants to make. I sincerely hope Judah returns, but I never fault a kid for doing what he thinks is in his own self interest as it relates to his career.

I think NIL is a generational divide amongst coaches and is a major reason you saw Roy Williams decide to hang it up. These traditionally downtrodden SEC programs are now making it rain on all the top basketball recruits with just the scraps from their football earnings. The NCAA rules for recruiting are pretty much nonexistent at this point and I can understand why many coaches are very frustrated by the current recruiting landscape. Will Wade was caught on a federal wire tap offering money and still coached 3 more seasons at LSU. Bruce Pearl doesn't even bother to put his cash in a suitcase anymore, someone from the NCAA compliance office just drops it off for him. I am not apologizing for Boeheim's recent lack of success at roster building, but I can understand his frustration.

JB has never been one to give consistent answers. He has always compartmentalize each incident or event and subjectively explain them even though it totally contradicts himself when using the same argument twice in opposite logics. In the past I just assumed he got bored with questions so he just give lazy answers he could care less. Now I think it's just him saying things.

The whole post season matters argument started only after the program declined but he made a few surprise runs in the tournament. Back when we were always ranked with at large bids he never said tournament is the only thing that counts when we got knocked out early by Navy, Richmond or Vermont.

Last edited:
JB has never been one to give consistent answers. He has always compartmentalize each incident or event and subjectively explain them even though it totally contradicts himself when using the same argument twice in opposite logics. In the past I just assumed he got bored with questions so he just give lazy answers he could care less. Now I think it's just him saying things.

The whole post season matters argument started only afth

I hope you're OK.

PART 2

On this date, (12/1) in 1989 we beat Virginia Commonwealth, 100-73. Five days later, we beat 78-76. Duke in the first ever Big East - ACC challenge game. We were coming off a loss to Illinois the previous year in the Elite 8. JB: We didn’t get a rebound when we had a chance to run out and win the game.” Later someone named Edna called to say that she was there when we beat the Soviets in 1975 and Duke in 1989. Not many people were at both games besides her and Jim. [Especially since we didn’t beat the Soviets in 1975. We lost to them in 1976.]

They also reminisced about Manley Field House – and Ben Schwartzwalder. The building had bene built for his team as our first indoor practice facility, but the University decided they could make money off of it as an arena for other sports, as well. It had a dirt floor and the dust filtered over everything. “If you spit, it was dirt. Football would be practicing at the same time we were. But Ben didn’t like practicing inside and he’d hold outdoor practices in the snow. He’s come in in his snow suit and look at me in my shorts.”

Coach had 50 people over for Thanksgiving Dinner, including the coaches, their families and the players. He’ll do something similar for Christmas. They play the 20th and the players will go home on the 21st and have four days there before they have to get back.

On the national scene: “The really strong teams are Purdue, Arizona, Texas and Connecticut who is starting to look like their next great team. Texas is a really good team. They beat Arkansas by 30 in a scrimmage. Creighton also has a top team.” But Texas beat them 72-67 to go 6-0. “Connecticut struggled last year. They kept only 2 guys and lost 5. Then they brought in 5 new guys and they are a Top Ten team.”
Hmmm… They talked about Purdue’s Zach Edey, who is 7-4 295 and averaging 22.1p/11.4r. He’s from Toronto and went to IMG. “It took him 2-3 years to develop at Purdue, just like Jesse here. Neither was highly recruited.”

The NBA is actually calling traveling – one of those new points of emphasis that evaporate as the season progresses. “I’ve never seen more than two travel calls in an NBA game…the NBA will always be a player’s league. Greg Popovich is one of the best coaches ever and he’s in last place because he doesn’t have the players.”

Coach doesn’t understand why Tiger Woods refuses a cart. “He’s had a major catastrophic accident. He could play 8-10 tourneys a year.” The PGA wants Greg Norman to be fired from the LIV tour. “That’s the best way to insure that he doesn’t.” Coach also repeated that the majors will want all the top players in their tournaments. “They will have to come to an agreement and they will.”

Coach favors the 12 team playoff plan for college football. “They need the top 6-8 teams. There’s always going to be an unhappy team. If the 13th team is unhappy, that’s not a problem.” Does it water down the regular season? Jim laughed at that. “it’s not watered down for the top 12 teams. Michigan-Ohio State will always be for bragging rights. It will always be important... No matter how many teams they have, the best teams will get through.”

Is there anyone Jim hasn’t met that he still desires to meet? “I’ve met about everybody in basketball. I was happy to meet Tom brady, Tiger Woods, Michael Phelps and Rafael Nadal, who is a big Spanish baseball fan. Arnold Palmer was a big one, (pauses to contemplate it). I’ve never met Nicklaus. I met Ali when he was young.” [The 1964 Hurricane Classic?] “I’ve golfed with Bo Jackson. He’s bigger than life. Henry Aaron was always my favorite baseball player and I met him and Willie Mays at the same time!”

Part of the hard to hear Twitch segment was a discussion of the 20th anniversary celebration of our national championship team. There was a reference to Hakim Warrick and Gerry McNamara being both All-Americans and national champions who will be there.

Oh - don't tell anybody but Jim, a long time Patriots fan, has become a Bills fan and he was rooting for them to win last night. Frontrunner! :mad:

Last edited:

My fear is that anyone of these kids these greatly improves will hit the portal unless we get some serious nil money to keep them around. These days, you have to pay for everyone not just incoming portal players. If JB can't see that he's farther gone than we thought.

Is he wrong?

No he’s not. The 315 foundation which is more basketball associated didn’t get going until this past summer. Like he said there was no NIL.

LOL alot of fans are idiots... Its called Fandom.. Fans are very reactionary and extreme in their views one way or another and the media feeds into that. JB will be gone soon, He is close to 80 and I welcome a change but I sure do worry cause I have seen way to many times that following the legend is not easy. I don't love where we are right now but I am very thankful we are not Louisville or what Pitt has been and hope to never see that.
Open your eyes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom