The lack of athleticism | Syracusefan.com

The lack of athleticism

Jake

Mod
It’s a problem this year. Our ability to shoot has off set it recently.
But it’s still an issue.

I see a lot of people complaining about inbounds plays, defensive rotation and stupid isolation plays.

Tonight was a classic example of how our motion / screen offense was stopped by better athletes. That resulted in more isolation plays and generally tougher shots.

Everyone focuses on the ball, but if you watched off the ball tonight, you could see the trouble our players had getting free of defenders in the half court set.

They were beating us to the spot all night long.

But it’s still an issue.

I see a lot of people complaining about inbounds plays, defensive rotation and stupid isolation plays.

Tonight was a classic example of how our motion / screen offense was stopped by better athletes. That resulted in more isolation plays and generally tougher shots.

Everyone focuses on the ball, but if you watched off the ball tonight, you could see the trouble our players had getting free of defenders in the half court set.

This has been an issue most of the season. We have trouble creating shots because we’re generally overmatched athletically. It didn’t matter that we had a height advantage because they were better athletically at almost every position and off the bench. It also helped Clemson on the offensive end.

We have better “basketball players” than them, but they are really athletic.

It’s actually a mystery to me why they’re so wildly mediocre.

Clemsons athleticism even showed against Duke. They've had multiple players step up and have big games here and there, just don’t seem to be consistent.

Unfortunately I don’t think the problem isn’t going away next year.

Richmond is very athletic. And Newton has athletic ability. But not sure either plays much next year.

Baring a surprise addition, next year’s team will be this year’s team minus Hughes.

With all that said, we were Marek or Sidibe going 30 more seconds without fouling out away from winning.
Its not just fouling out, once they were in foul trouble they were not going to be able to play as physical.

Most of they numbers came in the first half

Richmond is very athletic. And Newton has athletic ability. But not sure either plays much next year.

Baring a surprise addition, next year’s team will be this year’s team minus Hughes.

No chance Newton plays Center? Nobody has that job locked down.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but when Washington came in the score SU 8- Clemson 15 when he came out it was 20 all.

He did not get any run in the second half and yes he can't shoot 3s but he gets us into out offense better and he gets guys shots.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but when Washington came in the score SU 8- Clemson 15 when he came out it was 20 all.

He did not get any run in the second half and yes he can't shoot 3s but he gets us into out offense better and he gets guys shots.

great post.

Exactly. Moves the ball quickly. Gets Eli going. Joe does not.

Was really disappointed with Howard taking the three. Marek had the only defender walled off. Could have taken two dribbles and knocked down a 12 footer.

But it’s still an issue.

And this is a real concern against Duke on Saturday. I'm especially concerned about Tre Jones matching up against Girard. He doesn't do well when he's constantly harassed, and that's what Jones excels at. I also think Carey Jr. will foul out Marek, Sidibe, and maybe Quincy before the game is over.

It’s funny but I recall other years when I would think that our team’s pure athleticism was our best asset wishing we had more players who possessed basic basketball skills - pure shooters, better free throw shooters, passers, work ethic, motivation etc... Guess it’s that delicate balance all coaches try to strive for.

Guess it’s like what roseanne roseannadanna would say, ‘it’s always something” :p .

I have Been beating this drum to damm long too on this!

Which is why the staff needs to sell out 10000% to get a stud wing grad transfer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom