The lack of athleticism | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The lack of athleticism

This team is massively improved from November. But within this winning streak, we didn’t play any super athletic teams - ND, VaTech, BC and UVA don’t have many high level athletes. Pitt has a few guys but they can’t shoot. Clemson was built more like Penn Stare and OK State with their long athletes and tough tenacity.

Duke has a few of these guys that will bother us. FSU is full of them.Louisville has a few.

As along as were equally athletic with whom ever were playing, we’ll be in good shape. If not, we’re in trouble.

Watch last night it was clear across the board how much more athletic Clemson was. The only guys we have that can match up with that is Q and Eli (and maybe Goodine?)

This team is massively improved from November. But within this winning streak, we didn’t play any super athletic teams - ND, VaTech, BC and UVA don’t have many high level athletes. Pitt has a few guys but they can’t shoot. Clemson was built more like Penn Stare and OK State with their long athletes and tough tenacity.

Duke has a few of these guys that will bother us. FSU is full of them.Louisville has a few.

As along as were equally athletic with whom ever were playing, we’ll be in good shape. If not, we’re in trouble.

Watch last night it was clear across the board how much more athletic Clemson was. The only guys we have that can match up with that is Q and Eli (and maybe Goodine?)

Yet we were in control the entire game until Dolemite fouled out and lost by 1. If it was as big an issue as some say wouldn't we lose by 20. And if athleticism meant everything UVA should have been crushed by FSU, yet they weren't.

Yet we were in control the entire game until Dolemite fouled out and lost by 1. If it was as big an issue as some say wouldn't we lose by 20. And if athleticism meant everything UVA should have been crushed by FSU, yet they weren't.
It's going to become a bigger issue as the season wears on. They have to fight a 1000x harder to get free off the ball against these types of teams. It's going to take a physical toll especially since JB only subs for foul trouble and otherwise doesn't sub in the entire 2nd half. They only have so much gas in the tank. To not pull out that win is incredibly deflating.

Huh? I'm not sure he was arguing athleticism is everything...UVA doesn't get blown out very often because they dictate pace and rely on defense. So, even when bad, like this year, they're still like previous versions of us where the defense is the primary focus. The years they kill it - will be the years where they can fill in the gaps with athletes, and can score.

Huh? I'm not sure he was arguing athleticism is everything...UVA doesn't get blown out very often because they dictate pace and rely on defense. So, even when bad, like this year, they're still like previous versions of us where the defense is the primary focus. The years they kill it - will be the years where they can fill in the gaps with athletes, and can score.

Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome were athletic? I'd actually argue this UVA team is more athletic than last years.

It's going to become a bigger issue as the season wears on. They have to fight a 1000x harder to get free off the ball against these types of teams. It's going to take a physical toll especially since JB only subs for foul trouble and otherwise doesn't sub in the entire 2nd half. They only have so much gas in the tank. To not pull out that win is incredibly deflating.

I agree they need to go to the bench more, but I'm over the athleticism thing. That's not why we lost last night. Seems like a crutch for people when we lose who predicted we would win 12 games. We will see if it is. We are going to be favored in most games down the stretch.

Sidibe came back in with under 2 minutes to play in the first and picked up his 3rd. Better Edwards there, then the last 5 minutes of the game. Sidibe dunks that pass from hughes.
JB really screwed the pooch on that decision... I saw it coming a mile away...

JB really screwed the pooch on that decision... I saw it coming a mile away...
and even at that - at halftime and the whole second half someone has to be in Edwards ear pumping him up, prepping and obviously baby stepping him. Everyone - fan, coach, player knew Sid and Marke weren't surviving once they had 3 each at the half.

and even at that - at halftime and the whole second half someone has to be in Edwards ear pumping him up, prepping and obviously baby stepping him. Everyone - fan, coach, player knew Sid and Marke weren't surviving once they had 3 each at the half.
JB has given up on Edwards for this season. He looked promising in December. He has some offensive skill and potential. He's gonna get overpowered but what I'm seeing out there now is a guy who's confidence is shot. Wish JB took some psychology courses back in the day.

Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome were athletic? I'd actually argue this UVA team is more athletic than last years.

They are both on NBA rosters. They were pretty good athletes, elite basketball players for sure. But they weren't stiffs.

Why do I care about Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome specifically? I said there best teams will be a combination of athletes and an ability to score. That's not rocket science since the defense is there most years.

You're just arguing things people aren't saying now. You have a strange all or nothing interpretation to posts based on what you want them to be saying. It's a winning strategy, but confusing nevertheless!!!

Why do I care about Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome specifically? I said there best teams will be a combination of athletes and an ability to score. That's not rocket science since the defense is there most years.

You're just arguing things people aren't saying now. You have a strange all or nothing interpretation to posts based on what you want them to be saying. It's a winning strategy, but confusing nevertheless!!!

Someone said they don't have good athletes and I argued they are more athletic than last year. So YES I was arguing something someone said. They can't score and sometimes that's what happens when you have guys who can just run and jump.

And this is a real concern against Duke on Saturday. I'm especially concerned about Tre Jones matching up against Girard. He doesn't do well when he's constantly harassed, and that's what Jones excels at. I also think Carey Jr. will foul out Marek, Sidibe, and maybe Quincy before the game is over.

No doubt. Perhaps we can bring Carey off the bench and knock him out like last years game at Duke as did Frank. ;) ;) I think it was 14-2 or something like that to start the game before he was injured.

I agreed that foul trouble was the reason we lost ...but our inability to beat people off the dribble (minus Hughes) allows teams with athletes to compete.

He had zeros across the stat sheet. so just cant agree here. He's just the bench guy people like this year. Not saying he's not worthy of minutes and I agree with you some games but he did nothing out there last night. Hughes got hot when he was out there. That's all it was.
He never pulls up individual numbers, it a team game he gets us in our offense quicker. When offense was bogging down in the 2nd half he should have gotten some run.

Guy was a great athlete.

Anyway, yeah. We've known we would struggle against elite athleticism because simply put it is not the strength of our team in any way, especially the back court that receives 90% of the minutes. Have to beat athleticism by playing smart and ball movement. We didn't do either particularly well last night. And this was Clemson. Sure they have some athletes and beat Duke, but they are very average as a basketball team.

He never pulls up individual numbers, it a team game he gets us in our offense quicker. When offense was bogging down in the 2nd half he should have gotten some run.

Defense clearly is better too. Clemson had 16 turnovers for the game to our 8. Most of Clemson's TO's came in the first half, I think they had 12 or 13, which allowed for some much easier baskets for us. Was it pure coincidence that Washington played some significant minutes in the first half and zilch in the second directly related to Clemson's cleaning up of same in the 2nd?

Defense clearly is better too. Clemson had 16 turnovers for the game to our 8. Most of Clemson's TO's came in the first half, I think they had 12 or 13, which allowed for some much easier baskets for us. Was it pure coincidence that Washington played some significant minutes in the first half and zilch in the second directly related to Clemson's cleaning up of same in the 2nd?
First play of the game for Washington was a pretty steal off an inbound play. He's disruptive on defense. That alone should get him a couple minutes each half.

Someone said they don't have good athletes and I argued they are more athletic than last year. So YES I was arguing something someone said. They can't score and sometimes that's what happens when you have guys who can just run and jump.
How? They lost their most athletic player in Hunter. Guy and Jerome are more athletic than Buddy/JG3. And they had Clark, Key, Huff, Diakite last year. So unless you’re saying Casey Morsell and Woldenwhatever are more athletic than Hunter/Guy/Jerome...then you’re just wrong

How? They lost their most athletic player in Hunter. Guy and Jerome are more athletic than Buddy/JG3. And they had Clark, Key, Huff, Diakite last year. So unless you’re saying Casey Morsell and Woldenwhatever are more athletic than Hunter/Guy/Jerome...then you’re just wrong

Nobody brought up Hunter. Their defense is better than last year. That is not debatable, and it is directly related to replacing Guy and Jerome with Morsell and Woldenwhatever.

Nobody brought up Hunter. Their defense is better than last year. That is not debatable, and it is directly related to replacing Guy and Jerome with Morsell and Woldenwhatever.
You literally said they are more athletic this year than last year

It’s a problem this year. Our ability to shoot has off set it recently.
But it’s still an issue.

I see a lot of people complaining about inbounds plays, defensive rotation and stupid isolation plays.

Tonight was a classic example of how our motion / screen offense was stopped by better athletes. That resulted in more isolation plays and generally tougher shots.

Everyone focuses on the ball, but if you watched off the ball tonight, you could see the trouble our players had getting free of defenders in the half court set.

They were beating us to the spot all night long.

What happened to the backdoor cuts we were seeing earlier in the year? Marek was hitting Elijah for 2-3 easy buckets a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom