The lack of athleticism | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The lack of athleticism

We have better “basketball players” than them, but they are really athletic.

It’s actually a mystery to me why they’re so wildly mediocre.

Clemsons athleticism even showed against Duke. They've had multiple players step up and have big games here and there, just don’t seem to be consistent.

If JB had their players he wouldn’t be 11-9. I wish we had a guy like Mack so badly.

This has been an issue most of the season. We have trouble creating shots because we’re generally overmatched athletically. It didn’t matter that we had a height advantage because they were better athletically at almost every position and off the bench. It also helped Clemson on the offensive end.
If Marek doesn’t foul out we still win despite the inferior athleticism.

Didn't want to start a new thread, but when Washington came in the score SU 8- Clemson 15 when he came out it was 20 all.

He did not get any run in the second half and yes he can't shoot 3s but he gets us into out offense better and he gets guys shots.

He had zeros across the stat sheet. so just cant agree here. He's just the bench guy people like this year. Not saying he's not worthy of minutes and I agree with you some games but he did nothing out there last night. Hughes got hot when he was out there. That's all it was.

He had zeros across the stat sheet. so just cant agree here. He's just the bench guy people like this year. Not saying he's not worthy of minutes and I agree with you some games but he did nothing out there last night. Hughes got hot when he was out there. That's all it was.
The defense to me is noticeably better with him in.

And this is a real concern against Duke on Saturday. I'm especially concerned about Tre Jones matching up against Girard. He doesn't do well when he's constantly harassed, and that's what Jones excels at. I also think Carey Jr. will foul out Marek, Sidibe, and maybe Quincy before the game is over.
Big time concern and their best athlete will shadow Buddy.

It’s a problem this year. Our ability to shoot has off set it recently.
But it’s still an issue.

I see a lot of people complaining about inbounds plays, defensive rotation and stupid isolation plays.

Tonight was a classic example of how our motion / screen offense was stopped by better athletes. That resulted in more isolation plays and generally tougher shots.

Everyone focuses on the ball, but if you watched off the ball tonight, you could see the trouble our players had getting free of defenders in the half court set.

They were beating us to the spot all night long.

Agree, but even with that there were plenty of good shots that they missed.

Buddy played pretty well against them in the ACC tournament last year. Duke doesn't face guard they will just run up and down. They will have matchup issues themselves and can't put Jones on everyone. Hurt has to guard someone on defense. If it's Marek he will pay.

This isn’t true. He had a rebound and a steal, in just six minutes. Same amount of rebounds as Buddy had in 40.

If Duke wants to shut off Buddy, then JGIII needs to make shots.
JG3 is due but I don't think he will have that many good looks. I think they will tell Jones to take JG3 out of the game. I think they shadow Buddy and take their chances with Eli and Marek knowing that Quincy and Sid won't outscore the big Frosh. Looking forward to see how we compete and stack up. Great opportunity and a great litmus test.

Buddy played pretty well against them in the ACC tournament last year. Duke doesn't face guard they will just run up and down. They will have matchup issues themselves and can't put Jones on everyone. Hurt has to guard someone on defense. If it's Marek he will pay.
Stanley is a different animal than Duke brought to the fight last year. Buddy will be tested.

If Duke wants to shut off Buddy, then JGIII needs to make shots.
Unfortunately it’s become clear that he’s not as reliable a shooter as the other two. He misses too many open looks.

Stanley is a different animal than Duke brought to the fight last year. Buddy will be tested.

K isn't putting Goldwire or Jack White on Hughes. Well maybe he does. He put White on Battle last year.

K isn't putting Goldwire or Jack White on Hughes. Well maybe he does. He put White on Battle last year.
I hope White plays 40. He was awful against us last year

Unfortunately it’s become clear that he’s not as reliable a shooter as the other two. He misses too many open looks.

thus the statement, he needs to make shots. He's more than capable of getting on a hot streak.

And this is a real concern against Duke on Saturday. I'm especially concerned about Tre Jones matching up against Girard. He doesn't do well when he's constantly harassed, and that's what Jones excels at. I also think Carey Jr. will foul out Marek, Sidibe, and maybe Quincy before the game is over.
Carey could get into foul problems himself with three of our guys going to the basket.

I'd attack Duke by attacking their worst man to man guy and having whomever he is guarding (not Sid though), bring the ball up. Get JG off the ball as a 2ish guy if he isn't bring the ball up especially if he is struggling on each possession bringing the ball up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom