The Landscape has Changed, an Uphill Battle... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

The Landscape has Changed, an Uphill Battle...

This is not a bc rebuild, nor a miami or nc state rebuild.

People need to understand how far down our program fell and need to be realistic in what are realistic steps back to expect from dino in his first three years.

Dino’s surprassed the expectations, imo, for the first two years.

Nope.

Here are pertinent ratings for games played last season. I tried to group them by week.

Kent vs Akron Tuesday 11/21 rating unavail (242k)
FSU vs Florida Saturday 11/25 noon 1.2 (2.056m)

CMU vs Kent Tuesday 11/14 rating unavail (112k)
WMU vs N Illinois Wednesday 11/15 rating unavail (385k)
Toledo vs Bowling Green 1/15 rating unavail (175k)
UVa vs Miami Saturday 11/18 noon 2.1 (3.339m)

Toledo vs Ohio Wednesday 11/8 rating unavail (471k)
no ACC game with clean rating at noon

Miami (OH) vs Ohio Tuesday 10/31 rating unavail (276k)
Bowling Green vs Kent Tuesday 10/31 rating unavail (70k)
CMU vs WMU Wednesday 11/1 rating unavail (216k)
N Illinois vs Toledo Thursday 11/2 rating unavail (156k)
no ACC game at noon listed

Miami vs UNC Saturday 10/28 0.9 (1.419m)

UL vs FSU Saturday 10/21 noon 1.7 (2.580m)

FSU vs Duke Saturday 10/14 noon 0.6 (894k)

Wake Forest vs Clemson Saturday 10/7 noon 0.6 (864k)
no MAC games listed until 10/7

UMass vs Temple Friday 9/15 rating unavail (215k)
Okla St vs Pitt Saturday 9/16 noon 1.0 (1.621m)
UConn vs UVa Saturday 9/16 noon rating unavail (286k)

UL vs UNC Saturday 9/9 noon 1.5 (2.363m)
Northwestern vs Duke 9/9 noon rating unavail (161k)
Ohio vs Purdue Friday 9/8 8 pm rating unavail (403k)

Looks like when there is an ACC game on TV at noon on a Saturday, average viewership is 5 or 10 times higher than the midweek MAC games.

College Football TV Ratings For Every Game - Sports Media Watch
I love statistics. They can't be argued with.

This is not a bc rebuild, nor a miami or nc state rebuild.

People need to understand how far down our program fell and need to be realistic in what are realistic steps back to expect from dino in his first three years.

Dino’s surprassed the expectations, imo, for the first two years.
This all day.
A lot of people think these rebuilds happen in a vacuum. A lot of people also conflate a rebuild in college with a rebuild in the NFL. Not even close. No free agency, and no draft to turn your team around.
Instead you need to improve recruiting. Sounds easy enough, but I'll throw this scenario out there once again, so people who don't get it, can maybe make sense of it:

Pretend you're selling brand new cars(college football programs). The point of a car, is to get you from point A-B(from H.S. to the NFL). Any make, and any model of car will accomplish that. Some cars can accomplish that, and provide some more bells and whistles...a better stereo, gps, leather seats, and of course a boost in ego and status.
Now imagine your job is to sell the low end basic car(Syracuse). While it will do it's job and get you from A-B, it doesn't have the additional bells and whistles like leather, and a moon roof. Now pretend your customer, is also looking at a fully loaded Mercedes(Ohio State). It will also get you from A-B, but it will do it faster, it will do it more comfortably, it will do it more stylishly, and the Mercedes name carries great cache' and maybe even makes you feel a little more exclusive when you drive it.
Now imagine that both of those cars are free...it's going to be awfully tough to convince the 17 year old to pick the Hyundai Accent(Syracuse), when for the same price, he can drive the loaded Mercedes.(Ohio State)
For the record, I think Syracuse has moved out of Hyundai Accent status, and has moved up to Honda Civic Status. Look out Camry...we're coming for you next!!!

Last edited:
Nope.

Here are pertinent ratings for games played last season. I tried to group them by week.

Kent vs Akron Tuesday 11/21 rating unavail (242k)
FSU vs Florida Saturday 11/25 noon 1.2 (2.056m)

CMU vs Kent Tuesday 11/14 rating unavail (112k)
WMU vs N Illinois Wednesday 11/15 rating unavail (385k)
Toledo vs Bowling Green 1/15 rating unavail (175k)
UVa vs Miami Saturday 11/18 noon 2.1 (3.339m)

Toledo vs Ohio Wednesday 11/8 rating unavail (471k)
no ACC game with clean rating at noon

Miami (OH) vs Ohio Tuesday 10/31 rating unavail (276k)
Bowling Green vs Kent Tuesday 10/31 rating unavail (70k)
CMU vs WMU Wednesday 11/1 rating unavail (216k)
N Illinois vs Toledo Thursday 11/2 rating unavail (156k)
no ACC game at noon listed

Miami vs UNC Saturday 10/28 0.9 (1.419m)

UL vs FSU Saturday 10/21 noon 1.7 (2.580m)

FSU vs Duke Saturday 10/14 noon 0.6 (894k)

Wake Forest vs Clemson Saturday 10/7 noon 0.6 (864k)
no MAC games listed until 10/7

UMass vs Temple Friday 9/15 rating unavail (215k)
Okla St vs Pitt Saturday 9/16 noon 1.0 (1.621m)
UConn vs UVa Saturday 9/16 noon rating unavail (286k)

UL vs UNC Saturday 9/9 noon 1.5 (2.363m)
Northwestern vs Duke 9/9 noon rating unavail (161k)
Ohio vs Purdue Friday 9/8 8 pm rating unavail (403k)

Looks like when there is an ACC game on TV at noon on a Saturday, average viewership is 5 or 10 times higher than the midweek MAC games.

College Football TV Ratings For Every Game - Sports Media Watch

Rating unavailable? Not sure what that means? Hard to believe that only 150k watched a stand alone cf game during a fall weekday on a major sports network considering America's love of CF and gambling.

Best g5, regular season games usually involved army/navy, but that's not fair...
Regardless of time

Boise State/New Mexico. 1.05 mil
BYU/Boise State with 1.04 mil.
Temple/USF 922k

Almost every other g5 game had less than 500k, and looked like an average of 300k, at best.

Cuse, 2.8 mil, 2.0 mil, 1.7 mil

Rating unavailable? Not sure what that means? Hard to believe that only 150k watched a stand alone cf game during a fall weekday on a major sports network considering America's love of CF and gambling.
In case anyone is having trouble with this^^^ I'll translate: "Buddy, you're just pulling numbers out of your froghole."

It appears a rating number is not issued for games with tiny audiences.

You still maintain your original claim? That is what I find hard to believe.

It appears a rating number is not issued for games with tiny audiences.

You still maintain your original claim? That is what I find hard to believe.

Never let facts get in the way of a good argument... thanks Tom

In case anyone is having trouble with this^^^ I'll translate: "Buddy, you're just pulling numbers out of your froghole."

That # didn't come from me...

Well, here are some #'s. Again, not saying a huge shift in recruiting trend; but just in the last 7 days ,10 kids we offered chose 6 P5 schools and 4 chose Indiana (close).

Well, here are some #'s. Again, not saying a huge shift in recruiting trend; but just in the last 7 days ,10 kids we offered chose 6 P5 schools and 4 chose Indiana (close).
Damnit Mike Hart.

Last edited:
Numbers shmumbers. I'm the best.

Indiana is in the Big Ten. They are a P5 school. That doesn't support your argument that we are losing recruiting battles to G5 schools.

Last edited:
Indiana is in the Big Ten. They are a P5 school. That doesn't support your argument that we are losing recruiting battles to G5 schools.

Nor does it offer any evidence how many had commitable offers from us

Last edited:

So you're not going to at least admit you were dead wrong about the ratings now that we have evidence? And you sure all those guys had commitable offers from us?

Pretend you're selling brand new cars(college football programs). The point of a car, is to get you from point A-B(from H.S. to the NFL). Any make, and any model of car will accomplish that. Some cars can accomplish that, and provide some more bells and whistles...a better stereo, gps, leather seats, and of course a boost in ego and status.
Now imagine your job is to sell the low end basic car(Syracuse). While it will do it's job and get you from A-B, it doesn't have the additional bells and whistles like leather, and a moon roof. Now pretend your customer, is also looking at a fully loaded Mercedes(Ohio State). It will also get you from A-B, but it will do it faster, it will do it more comfortably, it will do it more stylishly, and the Mercedes name carries great cache' and maybe even makes you feel a little more exclusive when you drive it.
Now imagine that both of those cars are free...it's going to be awfully tough to convince the 17 year old to pick the Hyundai Accent(Syracuse), when for the same price, he can drive the loaded Mercedes.(Ohio State)
For the record, I think Syracuse has moved out of Hyundai Accent status, and has moved up to Honda Civic Status. Look out Camry...we're coming for you next!!!
I think what challenges most of us is that we aren’t a Hyundai, it’s more a run down 1990 Ferrari, that’s been used like a pickup truck since 2005, but it can still be repaired and cleaned up, and who doesn’t love Magnum PI? You get to drive that Ferrari every day. The Mercedes, you get the keys once every two years.

I think what challenges most of us is that we aren’t a Hyundai, it’s more a run down 1990 Ferrari, that’s been used like a pickup truck since 2005, but it can still be repaired and cleaned up, and who doesn’t love Magnum PI? You get to drive that Ferrari every day. The Mercedes, you get the keys once every two years.
I love the analogy. What I want is to trade in the 308 as a down payment on a Testarossa. Have to work with what we've got but it's also long overdue to set the bar higher and adjust norms and expectations. The elites are pushing Enzos and 458's, we need to step up, a small manageable step, if we are serious about competing.

We have at LEAST 407 offers out to class of 2019 recruits. Some will pick G5, some will pick Indiana, some will pick about 385 other schools. We're going to take less than 25 kids out of that 400+ number.

More people will watch a noon ACC game than a stand alone MAC Tuesday nighter.

blizz 's comments win the thread

76011267.jpg

I am very aware of that, thats why the 4 indiana commits were separated from the 6 G5 commits.

I just read that SU is ranked #84 and last in the ACC, in recruiting this cycle so far. wow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom