The Last Dance | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

The Last Dance

I think Phil was pretty much great his entire coaching career. He may not have been a fantastic X and O coach, but the guy was unbelievably successful and he seemed to be great at managing egos and getting buy in

Yeah but if they were from the Champion outlet the names might have been spelled wrong. I use to love going through their racks to find a deal.
They weren't. Only one.. Chris Jackson didn't have his name or number on the back.

I mean, Jordan may very well be the GOAT, but off the court...seriously? Dude was a degenerate gambler. And James has done, and continues to do, a ton for others.

For me personally, I don't even care that Jordan was a degenerate gambler. That was his money and he can do whatever he wants with it. I just think he's a bully, which I don't admire in a human being. A bully who just happens to be an American icon and the greatest player of all-time.

Like if one of my kids was the best player on their team, and I found out they were picking fights with teammates and calling their teammate "hoe" left and right, they would have hell to pay with me. And I wouldn't be OK with it just because their team was very successful.

I don't think it's a big deal I smoked a lot of pot as a younger man but they did bring it up.

yeah i meant it more like did people really not know Phil Jackson smoked pot before the last dance?

Yeah but if they were from the Champion outlet the names might have been spelled wrong. I use to love going through their racks to find a deal.

Yes! You could find some gems with barely noticeable defects for cheap.

So this game 6 “movie”...they basically just zoom the cameras in way too far? For what?

Alright one positive of the zoom in...can see everybody’s kicks.

90s kicks were just the best.

Harper and especially Kukoc didn’t get enough coverage in the Doc. Kerr got too much.

Thought it was particularly weird they glossed over those guys. Same with Longley, although we know why there. Kukoc and Harper were the 4th and 5th best players on those squads.

Thought it was particularly weird they glossed over those guys. Same with Longley, although we know why there. Kukoc and Harper were the 4th and 5th best players on those squads.

And there were plenty of times in 98(when Pippen was missing half the season and when Rodman was looking distracted/washed) that Kukoc was 2nd or 3rd.

Like Lamar Odom with the Lakers, I think Kukoc sacrificed some individual glory to fit into his role. He was legit good.

I didn't realize Longley averaged as many points as he did that season.

What was the deal with Longley?

was kind of dirty how they blasted the dead guy but the owner, who was the REAL reason the team was dismantled, gets a free pass. He just didn't want to pay everyone. Kraus was his lackey. He's taking bullets for JR in his grave. sick

so let me understand this...would Jordan and his crew have been dumb enough to tell them the pizza was for jordan? why? also, Grover said they were calling every joint they could find and only one place was available. since when is pizza hut the place that stays open the latest?

What was the deal with Longley?

I read somewhere he didn't want to be involved. Possibly didnt have a high opinion of Jordan.

so let me understand this...would Jordan and his crew have been dumb enough to tell them the pizza was for jordan? why? also, Grover said they were calling every joint they could find and only one place was available. since when is pizza hut the place that stays open the latest?

My only thought is they were calling so late that delivery wasn't really an option and they had to name drop Jordan to get them to bring them the food. Not sure it makes sense otherwise

I read somewhere he didn't want to be involved. Possibly didnt have a high opinion of Jordan.

If he didn't have a high opinion of Jordan, then it was probably the guy was the final say - Jordan - who didn't want Longley involved.

My only thought is they were calling so late that delivery wasn't really an option and they had to name drop Jordan to get them to bring them the food. Not sure it makes sense otherwise

That would be incredibly dumb ... better off sending a lackey to Kroger or the equivalent for frozen pizza ...and what kind of lame 5 star hotel has roomservice stopping that early

For me personally, I don't even care that Jordan was a degenerate gambler. That was his money and he can do whatever he wants with it. I just think he's a bully, which I don't admire in a human being. A bully who just happens to be an American icon and the greatest player of all-time.

Like if one of my kids was the best player on their team, and I found out they were picking fights with teammates and calling their teammate "hoe" left and right, they would have hell to pay with me. And I wouldn't be OK with it just because their team was very successful.

Kwame Brown has turned into this punchline of sorts but reality is his story is actually pretty sad. His mother raised him and his 7 siblings alone in rural GA after leaving their abusive father (who is now in jail for killing his girlfriend). He was committed to Florida I think and wanted badly to go to college and just be a college kid there but his family and those close to him more or less forced him to go to the NBA because he was a lock top 5 pick and they desperately needed the money.

Before the season Jordan took him under his wing and worked out with him a bunch. He was Kwame‘s and every other young players idol and 19 year old kid Kwame who didn’t have a father figure really started looking at him as a mentor/father figure. Once the season started Jordan did a 180 and would go out of his way to bully Kwame and get in his face in practice all the time. Would call him a f*ggot and all kinds of names in front of everyone. And Kwame just being a 19 year old kid who everyone says was a quiet, smart kid would tear up and look stunned that the guy who was his idol and he thought would be his mentor/father figure was treating him this way.

Wizards as an organization and other players, coaches, etc. all pretty much fell in line with Jordan and did pretty much nothing to help this again 19 year old kid from rural Georgia adjust to being an NBA player and then that pretty much set the tone for his development and rest of his career.

Krause was a good GM who is like the guy who needs to be validated even though he is doing a great job.

Krause drafted Pippen, Grant, found Phil Jackson and did a good job finding talent.

His problem was the Napoleon complex. Michael Jordan was why the organization won if he understood that Jordan wouldn’t have bullied him that hard.

Krause did what Reinsdorf wanted done with the ending. Krause put his foot in the mouth saying this was Jackson’s last season before the season. If he stays quiet he doesn’t get killed publicly but saying the team could go 82-0 and he wasn’t coming back.

That kills Krause in the court of public opinion.
Phil clearly wanted out and was thinking too two steps seeing the Lakers with Shaq were a possibility. That was before Kobe was Kobe.
Phil came off really good in this documentary but that stuff with the marriage was so true.

Remember Krause was the moron who invited the entire coaching staff sans Phil Jackson to his daughter’s wedding and Bill Cartwright’s wife asking Phil’s wife what she was wearing and her finding out she wasn’t invited. Krause made himself the villain.

Reinsdorf admited the team fell apart because he didn’t want to pay the aging players more than their value. When if Reinsdorf was smart with the lockout could have paid the guys in a prorated 50 game season and given Pippen his money 5yrs-80 million and then traded Pippen after the year if he felt he wasn’t worth it and gotten him moved.

Instead Reinsdorf went cheap and the team went 5 years as pure garbage.

Phil Jackson being a phony kinda got ignored. Which I Understand as he was just the coach in Chicago. When he went to LA he became more outspoken and Hollywood publicly. In Chicago he wasn’t discussed that much.

Pippen's stats fell off a cliff after he left, from a dollars and cents (sense?) point of view they really got over on that guy and never paid for past success.

Pippen's stats fell off a cliff after he left, from a dollars and cents (sense?) point of view they really got over on that guy and never paid for past success.

Yup. He was still a good and versatile player in Houston and Portland, but he didn’t have the same explosiveness anymore. Even that last season in Chicago, he was physically struggling - he had the foot surgery and the bad back. His body got old quickly.

Yup. He was still a good and versatile player in Houston and Portland, but he didn’t have the same explosiveness anymore. Even that last season in Chicago, he was physically struggling - he had the foot surgery and the bad back. His body got old quickly.

Yeah it looks like around age 33-34 he was pretty much done., got away with solid vet smart play for a few years but there really is a dramatic tail off. It's a pretty normal progression really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom