The last eight games of the season | Syracusefan.com

The last eight games of the season

rocfan44

All Conference
In looking at the last eight games of the year there is still time to make up for the year. Of the remaining eight games, five of them (Louisville, Miami, UNC, Duke, Clemson) will fall under the new Quadrant One section. Two of them are Quad 2 games (NC State and BC) and there is one quadrant 3 (Wake Forest). In my opinion we need to win those two quad 2 and 3 games to go to 5-2 in quad 2 games and 6-2 in quad 3 games. And if we can sneak in a get 3 of the 5 quadrant 1 games (finish 4-6) we may be okay. Two of these games are at home, just need to get on on the road (Louisville or Miami best case). This should help offset the two loses in the quadrant 3 we have. Of course I still think if we do all of this we need to win 2 in the ACC tournament to be comfortable.

I know that this is probably not realistic based on what we have seen lately but a true fan can hope right!

I don't know about all this quadrant stuff, just win some darn games!

They're done. Won't win another game all season. Hot take, but prescient.

L O L

This team has next to no shot at turning things around. There's just no offensive ability, skill, interior strength or depth. The system is doing nothing to help at this point either.

We're 4-6 against a pretty weak schedule, with only the 2 UVA games against a Tourney team. Now we get to still face Duke, UNC, Miami, Clemson and Lville? BC on the road? If this team gets to 7 wins, I'd be surprised. 8 would be pretty shocking and 9 or more would be utterly miraculous.

I think Georgia Tech was a must-win game. Losing that really hurt. Along with Wake at this point. If we can somehow go 4-4 down the stretch, we'll be squarely on the bubble with a puncher's chance. 5-3 and we're looking good, 3-4 we're NIT bound.

I think Georgia Tech was a must-win game. Losing that really hurt. Along with Wake at this point. If we can somehow go 4-4 down the stretch, we'll be squarely on the bubble with a puncher's chance. 5-3 and we're looking good, 3-4 we're NIT bound.
We haven't beaten anybody of note this year. Finishing 8-10 or 9-9 isn't going to cut it.

This team, except for Battle, is composed of players who would be 10 minute per game players coming off the bench if this was a normal Syracuse team. Brissette would be a promising freshman like CJ Fair coming off the bench for his 10 minutes. Howard would be a third or fourth guard. Chukwu would play as much as Baye Keita, for D and shotblocking only. Marek would be redshirted. Moyer would never play. Bourama would be a project and not expected to contribute right away. A bunch of role players forced into starters minutes because the cupboard is so bare.

In looking at the last eight games of the year there is still time to make up for the year. Of the remaining eight games, five of them (Louisville, Miami, UNC, Duke, Clemson) will fall under the new Quadrant One section. Two of them are Quad 2 games (NC State and BC) and there is one quadrant 3 (Wake Forest). In my opinion we need to win those two quad 2 and 3 games to go to 5-2 in quad 2 games and 6-2 in quad 3 games. And if we can sneak in a get 3 of the 5 quadrant 1 games (finish 4-6) we may be okay. Two of these games are at home, just need to get on on the road (Louisville or Miami best case). This should help offset the two loses in the quadrant 3 we have. Of course I still think if we do all of this we need to win 2 in the ACC tournament to be comfortable.

I know that this is probably not realistic based on what we have seen lately but a true fan can hope right!

You seem to be suggesting that 6-2 the rest of the way "may be okay". We would be much more than okay, we would be in the middle of the bracket 5 -3 should be thc clean in number.

Now what we need, and what we are capable of pulling off are two different things unfortunately.

Say we do lose the last 9 and go 15-17 and miss the NIT. I am too lazy to look it up but when was the last time they did not go to any postseason not counting penalties both self imposed (2015) and imposed (sometime in 90s if I remember correctly). Was it Danforth's early years in the 70s?

Say we do lose the last 9 and go 15-17 and miss the NIT. I am too lazy to look it up but when was the last time they did not go to any postseason not counting penalties both self imposed (2015) and imposed (sometime in 90s if I remember correctly). Was it Danforth's early years in the 70s?
'69-'70 Danforth. 12-12. Up from 9 wins the year before.

If Syracuse misses the Nit they still can go to CIT or CBI. So postseason basketball will still be most likely.

We haven't beaten anybody of note this year. Finishing 8-10 or 9-9 isn't going to cut it.
If we somehow finish 9-9 (Very unlikely), even if we win the 5 "easiest" games the rest of the way, we'll have to beat
  • vs. Wake
  • vs. NC State
  • @ BC
  • @ Clemson
  • @ Miami
This would imply we lose @ Louisville, @ Duke, and home vs. UNC.

20-12 with 9-9 in the ACC probably gets us in the tournament. Sucks, but the 5 winnable games we lost (SBU, GTech, Wake, ND, FSU) would've put us at 20-3 and probably #10 in the country. LOL.

If we somehow finish 9-9 (Very unlikely), even if we win the 5 "easiest" games the rest of the way, we'll have to beat
  • vs. Wake
  • vs. NC State
  • @ BC
  • @ Clemson
  • @ Miami
This would imply we lose @ Louisville, @ Duke, and home vs. UNC.

20-12 with 9-9 in the ACC probably gets us in the tournament. Sucks, but the 5 winnable games we lost (SBU, GTech, Wake, ND, FSU) would've put us at 20-3 and probably #10 in the country. LOL.
Clemson is home not away

I think 3 more wins for this team is possible, I'd be very suprised if they win any more then that. Just don't have the horses.

If Syracuse misses the Nit they still can go to CIT or CBI. So postseason basketball will still be most likely.
Do you really think they'd accept a bid to the CBI or CIT? I think they'd pass.

Sucks, but the 5 winnable games we lost (SBU, GTech, Wake, ND, FSU) would've put us at 20-3 and probably #10 in the country. LOL.
That’s what’s so frustrating about this season. This team could win a couple of tournament games, but they’re not good enough to get the conference wins they need to get them there.

If wishes were fishes...

get 2 more to keep the streak intact, then I'll worry about post season chances

That would be an embarrassment and we would hopefully turn it down, my how far we have fallen

One of them, I think the CIT, is only for teams outside major conferences.

I believe that neither the CBI or CIT accept P5 teams anymore.

I know the CBI did in the past but they changed their rules (probably out of shame of having Pitt as their champion)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom