The maturation of Dino Babers as a Head Coach | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The maturation of Dino Babers as a Head Coach

Clock management is still his biggest weakness, want to see him get better at that. And I'm not sure I'm ready to call the penalty issue fixed since it's only been two games, but I hope the lack of flags continues.
Dino is pretty good with clock management when he has a lead. He uses the game clock (Liberty) to his advantage. His issues are when he’s trailing and how he uses timeouts.

Certainly not for the better of college football but this is a business, everything points to it being a business. I wish Dino was winning a minimum of 6 games a year and he could be the coach for as long as he wants, BUT he is what the record says he is. He won 1 game last year, he has been to one bowl game. Dino has a grand total of 26 wins since 2016 that by includes wins against. Any
Colgate
Central conn state
Uconn x2
Central Michigan
Wagner
Western Michigan x2
Holy cross
Liberty x2
Ohio
Albany

This screams of a coach that needs to be fired if he doesn’t make a bowl this year! Hell Greg Robinson would have won at least 10 of those with the talent Dino had.

i think passing gets better as we evolve in what works. cant make all the same throws now so thats an adjustment that will only get better and we need a TE..
It’s Gilbert’s offense and he has never involved the TE other than a one off pass here or there. I don’t think it matters who we have at TE they aren’t going to be a major focal point of the air attack. Otherwise Hackett and the kid that transferred this year would have stayed.

"The maturation of Dino Babers as a Head Coach"

dino does love himself a movie reference. Benjamin Button comes to mind.

It’s Gilbert’s offense and he has never involved the TE other than a one off pass here or there. I don’t think it matters who we have at TE they aren’t going to be a major focal point of the air attack. Otherwise Hackett and the kid that transferred this year would have stayed.
Hackett has caught 1 pass for 2 yards the entire season at Kent St. But, that being said, I don't blame him for transferring based on our use of TEs. TEs have needed to stay in and block because of a porous oline.

we will see.. The style we ran last week begs for TE throws..

I feel the te will get more throws their way when Bensen returns. It may not be the first option but could see GS hitting the tight end when going through his progressions. Mang will also get some looks. Love Rhino but he is a FB not a TE.

Not sure if its maturation or survival at this point but its obvious that DB has dramatically changed his offensive philosophy. He has gone from a pass first offense to a run heavy team which I never though I would see with him. Good old Northeastern football altho its in a climate controlled environment. I agree with that philosophy for Syracuse, under him or any successive coach, and have advocated limiting the number of plays/possessions through the run game as a way to keep a less talented team in games (similar philosophy in basketball).

In 2016 and 2017 we were ranked 15th and 17th in the country in pass play/run play ratio (against FBS teams) at 55%. It was fun but didn't get us to a bowl game.

In 2018 we operated at a 46% pass play rate (74th in the country) and Syracuse had its most successful season in his tenure.

In 2019 and 2020 we were 68th and 20th respectively in pass/run ratio.

This year, so far, we are operating at a clip of 37% pass/run plays which is 116th out of 130 Division I programs vs. FBS competition.

Of course there are a myriad of factors that are in play with this statistic (talent, opponent, game score, etc.) but it has been shocking to me that the change from TD to GS marked a change in philosophy for DB. One I hadn't seen coming and one certain posters would've jumped off of buildings if they knew upon his hire. Three yards and a cloud of dust (black rubber pellets) is back. It doesn't have a cute hashtag or catch phrase but it is more sustainable over the long haul with this program.

Although I think that the passing game has to improve and deep shots need to be made, I think we are seeing what will work at SU with a dual threat QB, a few good RB and a decent OL. I believe it is the correct direction for the program to move in and I hope its a genuine change in philosophy moving forward.

If this is maturation, give me regression and a winning record every time please.

Not sure if its maturation or survival at this point but its obvious that DB has dramatically changed his offensive philosophy. He has gone from a pass first offense to a run heavy team which I never though I would see with him. Good old Northeastern football altho its in a climate controlled environment. I agree with that philosophy for Syracuse, under him or any successive coach, and have advocated limiting the number of plays/possessions through the run game as a way to keep a less talented team in games (similar philosophy in basketball).

In 2016 and 2017 we were ranked 15th and 17th in the country in pass play/run play ratio (against FBS teams) at 55%. It was fun but didn't get us to a bowl game.

In 2018 we operated at a 46% pass play rate (74th in the country) and Syracuse had its most successful season in his tenure.

In 2019 and 2020 we were 68th and 20th respectively in pass/run ratio.

This year, so far, we are operating at a clip of 37% pass/run plays which is 116th out of 130 Division I programs vs. FBS competition.

Of course there are a myriad of factors that are in play with this statistic (talent, opponent, game score, etc.) but it has been shocking to me that the change from TD to GS marked a change in philosophy for DB. One I hadn't seen coming and one certain posters would've jumped off of buildings if they knew upon his hire. Three yards and a cloud of dust (black rubber pellets) is back. It doesn't have a cute hashtag or catch phrase but it is more sustainable over the long haul with this program.

Although I think that the passing game has to improve and deep shots need to be made, I think we are seeing what will work at SU with a dual threat QB, a few good RB and a decent OL. I believe it is the correct direction for the program to move in and I hope its a genuine change in philosophy moving forward.
I think he's just adjusting to the personnel. I believe he'd love to throw it more down the field.

It's taken longer than most of us have wanted, I think Dino has gradually matured as a head coach.
This started with:
  • Making the decision to fire his DC midseason and bring in a new Defense.
  • Letting go of some of his assistants who were underperforming (Kim McCloud, looking at you).
  • Bringing in another QB to immediately compete (First Cade Fortin, then Shrader)
  • Not accept penalties. I have heard him give excuses for penalties for years-he still does at times. But for the first time, after the Albany game, it appears he started to be less accepting of it. It has been much better the last couple of games.
  • Having Shrader start. I don't know about you, but I was shocked. I'm sure it was very difficult for him, because I think he felt very loyal to TD.
  • Not putting up any more with me-first players. It might be a coincidence, but Howard and Taj putting their name in the portal after me-first conduct makes me think he's finally realized he can't let this type of behavior go on.
Next things to work on:
  • Finding a way to get your best young Offensive players on the field. The Defensive coaches have done it over the years-he needs to find a way to work some of them in.
  • End of half/game clock management. Has been a problem for years.
  • Get back some of his offensive swagger

Heck of a post!

Yeah, I just hope that they're smart enough to see it, and brave enough to actually try it.
You have to give this kid the basic plays to attack all portions of the field.

That's how you give GS the best chance to succeed.

I like, well said.

Biggest problem, IMO, was "sticking by certain people too long" in multiple roles.

I would add to your excellent list, to look outside his coaching-comfort-security-blanket for offensive input.

I would also find a coach to replace with a known, ace recruiter. But please, not Schmidt.
Agree on everything. I'm of the belief that if Dino had something resembling the current staff towards the beginning of his tenure, we'd be in a much better place right now. It's hard to play catch up. Bringing in Kirk Martin to be your QB showed a lack of understanding for what's needed at this level at best (and arrogance that he could succeed despite it, at the worst).
In regards to recruiting, with Reynolds coming to us from PJ Fleck's staff, I (and I bet Dino) thought he'd be much stronger here.

Last edited:
even the TE throw last week in the endzone.. there are a couple things on that play.. Even though he was open it was a tough throw. My question would be does the TE have the latitude to run that play as needed or really only as a skinny post? Given the way the play developed he could have run a corner route with no D in the way and made the throw much easier. Hopefully the QB and the TE have some option on that play

Yeah, I just hope that they're smart enough to see it, and brave enough to actually try it.
You have to give this kid the basic plays to attack all portions of the field.

That's how you give GS the best chance to succeed.
He does see the field, even though it didn't work, he attempted to get the ball to Mang in the end zone.
He has completed a pass to Mang, and 1 was intercepted. With more repetitions Garrett will connect with Mang, and Benson when he comes back.

My beef is the tempo or lack there of......the dome is perfect for a run and gun, throw the ball over the field offense but we have had zero of that since Coach Shafer's players have left......yes I know teams have caught onto it and its not the same "catch them off guard" uptempo speed but our offense has struggled mightily since Sean Lewis left and this was to be Dinos strength

My beef is the tempo or lack there of...the dome is perfect for a run and gun, throw the ball over the field offense but we have had zero of that since Coach Shafer's players have left...yes I know teams have caught onto it and its not the same "catch them off guard" uptempo speed but our offense has struggled mightily since Sean Lewis left and this was to be Dinos strength
Lewis left in 2017 — we lit up the scoreboard in 2018 with Dungey’s individual talent and a decent OL. The offense struggled in 2019 and ‘20 with a poor OL and a pocket QB who rarely could make plays when flushed.
In the last two weeks the offense was better because we had two running threats and Shrader made plays with his legs. Not sure we want up tempo or run and gun with what we have on the field.

the early years speed thing sure has gone out the window. defense says AMEN !

My beef is the tempo or lack there of...the dome is perfect for a run and gun, throw the ball over the field offense but we have had zero of that since Coach Shafer's players have left...yes I know teams have caught onto it and its not the same "catch them off guard" uptempo speed but our offense has struggled mightily since Sean Lewis left and this was to be Dinos strength

Our defense is better with a breather.

It's taken longer than most of us have wanted, I think Dino has gradually matured as a head coach.
This started with:
  • Making the decision to fire his DC midseason and bring in a new Defense.
  • Letting go of some of his assistants who were underperforming (Kim McCloud, looking at you).
  • Bringing in another QB to immediately compete (First Cade Fortin, then Shrader)
  • Not accept penalties. I have heard him give excuses for penalties for years-he still does at times. But for the first time, after the Albany game, it appears he started to be less accepting of it. It has been much better the last couple of games.
  • Having Shrader start. I don't know about you, but I was shocked. I'm sure it was very difficult for him, because I think he felt very loyal to TD.
  • Not putting up any more with me-first players. It might be a coincidence, but Howard and Taj putting their name in the portal after me-first conduct makes me think he's finally realized he can't let this type of behavior go on.
Next things to work on:
  • Finding a way to get your best young Offensive players on the field. The Defensive coaches have done it over the years-he needs to find a way to work some of them in.
  • End of half/game clock management. Has been a problem for years.
  • Get back some of his offensive swagger
All of us mature even if we are good or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom