The MCW Effect | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The MCW Effect

Is Syracuse headed in the right direction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It is beyound me why MCW wasn't played a second in the tournament. He played every bit as well as Jardine all season, and his length was surely missed. For the most part, SU did not use their depth and played 7 deep for the tourney. Trish really lost his touch from outside and KJ was awful for being such a highly touted Senior. I will say Jardine played well, but why did JB not play MCW at all? In the OSU game, we were in total foul trouble, where was MCW? In addition, this could not bode well in the NN race.

Is it time for a change? Is National Titles and runs for them important to most of us? Why only two recruits this year? I have to say we are lucky to be in the NN race, but the cards once again seem stacked against us. I love JB and all he has accomplished, but another part of me wants SU to evolve. I don't see it be much different this year. I don't see us matching what we did last year, if we did, boy that would be great, but as I see it, we only have 9 scholarship players for next year. Does SU know that something is coming as far as loss of scolarships, or potential violations?

I am going to say it, but this program needs a change. I can't say for sure that it is getting out of the Big East, or maybe JB retireing soon, but we always seem to get bad breaks of late. We need a new offense, a change up of the 2-3 added to the game, and we need to look at our programs policies and either enforce them or get rid of them.

Heck, I think for the most part the press has used SU as the poster child of the bad kid on the block, even more so than PSU has had to face, and that simply doesn't make sense to me.

90y348.gif

Dead period starts in an hour. Hope we have the last talk with him. All in all, I'm ready for this to be over come Wednesday!

Dead period starts in an hour. Hope we have the last talk with him. All in all, I'm ready for this to be over come Wednesday!

I'm with you--looking forward to this being over.

But I can't help but feel like we're playing with house money. It's one thing to be a UK or those schmucks from Gtown and stake everything on landing Noel, because he greatly improves their teams. Believe me, I'd love to land him--and think that he would / will improve our team as well, but adding him would be gravy for us. That's not the case with the other two schools still in play.

But I can't help but feel like we're playing with house money. It's one thing to be a UK or those schmucks from Gtown and stake everything on landing Noel, because he greatly improves their teams. Believe me, I'd love to land him--and think that he would / will improve our team as well, but adding him would be gravy for us. That's not the case with the other two schools still in play.

With you as well. We are in a very good spot with our team. We've been doing very well in getting the recruits we really want here over the past couple of years. I keep thining back to the stat of "JB has never lost a recruit when they've been at the Dome for a game with over 30K." Hoping that stays true!

It is beyound me why MCW wasn't played a second in the tournament. He played every bit as well as Jardine all season, and his length was surely missed. For the most part, SU did not use their depth and played 7 deep for the tourney. Trish really lost his touch from outside and KJ was awful for being such a highly touted Senior. I will say Jardine played well, but why did JB not play MCW at all? In the OSU game, we were in total foul trouble, where was MCW? In addition, this could not bode well in the NN race.

Is it time for a change? Is National Titles and runs for them important to most of us? Why only two recruits this year? I have to say we are lucky to be in the NN race, but the cards once again seem stacked against us. I love JB and all he has accomplished, but another part of me wants SU to evolve. I don't see it be much different this year. I don't see us matching what we did last year, if we did, boy that would be great, but as I see it, we only have 9 scholarship players for next year. Does SU know that something is coming as far as loss of scolarships, or potential violations?

I am going to say it, but this program needs a change. I can't say for sure that it is getting out of the Big East, or maybe JB retireing soon, but we always seem to get bad breaks of late. We need a new offense, a change up of the 2-3 added to the game, and we need to look at our programs policies and either enforce them or get rid of them.

Heck, I think for the most part the press has used SU as the poster child of the bad kid on the block, even more so than PSU has had to face, and that simply doesn't make sense to me.
:bat:

We are going to be contenders for the next 5 years at least, given the recent success in-game and recruiting.

Any chance you had of making sense was ruined when you said the 08 team should have won the Title.
My Bad...the 09/10 Season with Arinzi...

PSU definitely got more media *t than SU these past 6 months

Its not gravy...do you want to win championships and be pre-season #1?

Its not gravy...do you want to win championships and be pre-season #1?

I'd prefer to be post-season #1.

It's not the end of the world, either, considering we'd have two McDonald's all americans available to man the two power positions next season even without Noel.

Sure I'd love to land him--duh, who wouldn't. But many posters have unrealistic expectations for Noel based upon equating him and his readiness level to Anthony Davis. It would be great to land Noel--but him coming here doesn't guarantee us a national championship, nor mean that we can't contend for one without him. We're in a highly enviable position in that regard--which is why I view the prospect of him coming here as absolute gravy.

It's not the end of the world, either, considering we'd have two McDonald's all americans available to man the two power positions next season even without Noel.

Sure I'd love to land him--duh, who wouldn't. But many posters have unrealistic expectations for Noel based upon equating him and his readiness level to Anthony Davis. It would be great to land Noel--but him coming here doesn't guarantee us a national championship, nor mean that we can't contend for one without him. We're in a highly enviable position in that regard--which is why I view the prospect of him coming here as absolute gravy.

I pretty much agree with this. I'd obviously rather have Noel than not, but either way we should be really great next year.

I pretty much agree with this. I'd obviously rather have Noel than not, but either way we should be really great next year.
I agree with you agreeing with RF2044

I will even go out on a limb and say that I would actually prefer that he doesn't come . . . if he hadn't reclassified to this year, and this was the spring of 2013, I might be singing a different tune, but I really like what SU has in the fold, and I think that Noel actually detracts from that.

JB has nearly perfected his defensive scheme; even with the weakness in defensive rebounding, SU has been top 20 in defensive efficiency for three years running with three completely different guys manning the middle (Arinze, Ricky, Fab). They have also been top 5 in blocked shot percentage all three years (indeed, SU has been top 7 in block percentage 8 of the last 10 years, regardless of who mans the middle). With DC2 and BMK rotating in the 5 spot, they will be top 20/top 10 again next year. If anything, I bet DC2 is better on the defensive glass than was Fab.

What we lack from that spot is offensive production. DC2 is a much, much better offensive player than is NN. Even BMK, with his experience and knowledge of the system, is a better offensive player than is NN. NN brings so little to the offensive end of the court that bringing him in automatically lessens SU offensively. Every minute that he takes away from DC2 and, to a lesser but still significant extent, BMK, would hurt the team, IMO. And before anyone claims that BMK will take a redshirt, let me say that I find it highly unlikely that JB will redshirt his most experienced center, who played very well deep into the NCAA tournament, in favor of rolling with two freshman.

I have posted before that an anticipated center rotation of DC2/BMK and forward rotation of Dirty/CJ/Rak will be one of the top - and maybe the very best - frontcourts in the nation when all is said and done. Paired with a perfect three guard rotation of an experienced senior chasing the all time wins record, a stellar point guard ready to make the Sophomore Leap, and a deadeye shooter redshirt frosh, and I think Syracuse is a serious contender for the Final Four next year. They might not match this year's stellar won/loss record, but I think they could end up being a better team with more ability to score on those closing possessions deep in March.

I will even go out on a limb and say that I would actually prefer that he doesn't come . . . if he hadn't reclassified to this year, and this was the spring of 2013, I might be singing a different tune, but I really like what SU has in the fold, and I think that Noel actually detracts from that.

JB has nearly perfected his defensive scheme; even with the weakness in defensive rebounding, SU has been top 20 in defensive efficiency for three years running with three completely different guys manning the middle (Arinze, Ricky, Fab). They have also been top 5 in blocked shot percentage all three years (indeed, SU has been top 7 in block percentage 8 of the last 10 years, regardless of who mans the middle). With DC2 and BMK rotating in the 5 spot, they will be top 20/top 10 again next year. If anything, I bet DC2 is better on the defensive glass than was Fab.

What we lack from that spot is offensive production. DC2 is a much, much better offensive player than is NN. Even BMK, with his experience and knowledge of the system, is a better offensive player than is NN. NN brings so little to the offensive end of the court that bringing him in automatically lessens SU offensively. Every minute that he takes away from DC2 and, to a lesser but still significant extent, BMK, would hurt the team, IMO. And before anyone claims that BMK will take a redshirt, let me say that I find it highly unlikely that JB will redshirt his most experienced center, who played very well deep into the NCAA tournament, in favor of rolling with two freshman.

I have posted before that an anticipated center rotation of DC2/BMK and forward rotation of Dirty/CJ/Rak will be one of the top - and maybe the very best - frontcourts in the nation when all is said and done. Paired with a perfect three guard rotation of an experienced senior chasing the all time wins record, a stellar point guard ready to make the Sophomore Leap, and a deadeye shooter redshirt frosh, and I think Syracuse is a serious contender for the Final Four next year. They might not match this year's stellar won/loss record, but I think they could end up being a better team with more ability to score on those closing possessions deep in March.

Any lineup that has a combination of two out of three of Christmas, Keita and Noel would be offensively challenged in the halfcourt. I think our best team next year will have some combination of two out of three (or all three) of Fair, Southerland and Coleman in the game together.

Sometimes less is more where elite talent is concerned. I think our ceiling next year is the same with or without Noel.

Wow -prefer he doesn't come- is a little overboard imo.
I think you are blending the good Ds together though. This past years D was great, ones prior to that were good- the primary difference being the presence of Fab. NN could be a good facsimile of the Fab role.

Yes, with NN JB would have his hands full figuring out the minutes and positions of the front court. He would need to give minutes to one of them at the PF, and that is not even including BMK in the discussion. Because, yes, I think (and hope) BMK would be asked to consider the RS. And for the good of the future of the program (and BMK the player would benefit) he takes it. Normally JB would not do this, but this is not a normal circumstance.
I do think the offensive potential of DC2, Dirty, CJ, Cooney, and BT/MCW is excellent. Rivals that of '09-'10.
But the flip side of a D involving MCW, BT, CJ, Dirty and NN would be nasty. Rivals this past years.

In the end, it comes down to giving JB as many weapons as possible. NN would add a another top notch player. JB would need to figure out how to make it all work. If NN takes away minutes that were previously given to BMK and Rak, then you don't lose anything offensively from what happened in recent prior years.

I think you are blending the good Ds together though. This past years D was great, ones prior to that were good- the primary difference being the presence of Fab. NN could be a good facsimile of the Fab role.

We've ranked 17th, 16th, and 18th the last 3 years in defensive efficiency. A lot of what we picked up in forcing TO this year we lost in terrible defensive rebounding.

Any lineup that has a combination of two out of three of Christmas, Keita and Noel would be offensively challenged in the halfcourt. I think our best team next year will have some combination of two out of three (or all three) of Fair, Southerland and Coleman in the game together.

Sometimes less is more where elite talent is concerned. I think our ceiling next year is the same with or without Noel.
I agree that two out of Xmas, BMK, and NN seems like it would be too much of an offensive drag. So RS BMK. Then it would be up to JB to minimize the Rak/NN combos.

I disagree with your last line. Can always use more elite talent. But that is a question mark for me, is NN elite? I know the hype is saying he is. But no one even claims he has much offense. So, is he defensively elite? Is he as good as Fab was last year?

We just saw the difference of what Fab in the lineup can do. Rak and BMK were a drop down. If NN is at the Fab level he brings an added defensive dimension. I would be hoping for DC2 to fill an RJ role and have NN and Rak divvy up the 5 minutes.

If NN is not as advertised though, it could get messy. That is my fear, is NN really going to be much better than Rak at the 5? He is built more like Rak than like Fab. And if NN is more like Rak, and you pretty much have to play him, and sit Dirty/CJ, then the team does suffer.

In the end though, I want JB to have as many good tools/players at his disposal as possible.

I agree that two out of Xmas, BMK, and NN seems like it would be too much of an offensive drag. So RS BMK. Then it would be up to JB to minimize the Rak/NN combos.

I disagree with your last line. Can always use more elite talent. But that is a question mark for me, is NN elite? I know the hype is saying he is. But no one even claims he has much offense. So, is he defensively elite? Is he as good as Fab was last year?

We just saw the difference of what Fab in the lineup can do. Rak and BMK were a drop down. If NN is at the Fab level he brings an added defensive dimension. I would be hoping for DC2 to fill an RJ role and have NN and Rak divvy up the 5 minutes.

If NN is not as advertised though, it could get messy. That is my fear, is NN really going to be much better than Rak at the 5? He is built more like Rak than like Fab. And if NN is more like Rak, and you pretty much have to play him, and sit Dirty/CJ, then the team does suffer.

In the end though, I want JB to have as many good tools/players at his disposal as possible.
I do think Rak could be a monster next year.

We've ranked 17th, 16th, and 18th the last 3 years in defensive efficiency. A lot of what we picked up in forcing TO this year we lost in terrible defensive rebounding.
So, you don't think that this past years defense was any better than the two years prior?

If we get Noel, Keita will redshirt
we'll probably never know, because I think NN is going elsewhere, but if the improbable does happen, we'll see

Wow -prefer he doesn't come- is a little overboard imo.
In the end, it comes down to giving JB as many weapons as possible.
what can I say - I am just not that impressed with the kid. Impressed, yes, but not over the moon. I think that SU's defensive scheme and personnel will be solid enough - but it desperately lacks low post offense, and that is the one thing that NN certainly will not provide during his one year rental agreement. It's not about giving JB as many weapons as possible, it's about getting him the right ones - I don't think NN brings the right ones to the table. and let's also remember that we are likely to be sweating an APR problem, and a taking on a one-and-done who is very likely to flee campus in early April is an extremely short sighted way to secure the long term future of the program. Of course, as always, I will defer to the better judgement of JB, but I am not joking when I say I will feel better about next year when NN says he is going to Kentucky or GTown than I will if he says he is coming to Syracuse.

I do think Rak could be a monster next year.
I have high hopes for Rak and think he will have monster games, but because of the depth of talent on the roster yet again, I wouldn't expect him to average more than, say 8 pts and 8 boards per game.

So, you don't think that this past years defense was any better than the two years prior?

The defensive efficiency numbers are probably held down a little by not having Fab for all of our games, but I don't think it was appreciably better than the past 2 years, based on how many points per possession they allowed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom