The Michigan 'GO BLUE' Banner | Syracusefan.com

The Michigan 'GO BLUE' Banner

SU2NASA

All American
Saw this over on the MGoBlog message board:

"remember when those jackass Syracuse students stole it before the Donovan McNabb disaster in 98? How they managed to get that out of Crisler without anyone noticing is beyond me.

I've despised Syracuse ever since because of that. Don't mess with the banner."

A salute to those jackass students that made that happen. Great stuff.

I remember that happening, anyone know the full story?

My brother actually knows the guys who stole it out of Michigan's stadium. He said the trio showed up the day before the game, walked into the stadium no problem and took it down. The next year, Michigan came into the dome and beat SU. Subsequently right after the game, the banner was burned on Marshall St.

My brother actually knows the guys who stole it out of Michigan's stadium. He said the trio showed up the day before the game, walked into the stadium no problem and took it down. The next year, Michigan came into the dome and beat SU. Subsequently right after the game, the banner was burned on Marshall St.

Your brother knows three winners. I love the story.

Shanked extra point, Troy Nunes running 20 yards backwards for a safety, missed no-call pass interference on the last play. That 1999 game was infuriating.

Yeah they were actually alum at the time of the heist, and Syracuse locals. Crazy thing is when I text my brother last night to get a refresh on the story since it was so long ago, he was like, "Very weird, I just had a beer with one of the guys on Tip hill last week!"

Not before it was displayed prior to the game...from the parking garage below the Dome. I'll never forget seeing it.

I had posted these pics in another thread yesterday, and someone else provided a link back to this one from a few weeks ago which I must have missed. Slow Friday during a bye week so I figured I'd throw these out there again along with a little bit of the story...
  • The banner was acquired by a half dozen Syracuse fans the night before the game at Michigan in Sept 1998. Not students but 'townies' in their late-20's who made the road trip.
  • Banner was actually found in Crisler Arena, next door to the football stadium which was wide open the night before the game as they were putting finishing touches on the studio used for the Bo Schembechler Show which was filmed there after football games. It it huge, bulky and weighs over 50 lbs. It took several individuals to carry.
  • The morning of the game the fact that the banner was missing was all over the radio in Ann Arbor. A replacement banner was used for the game, but ti was flimsy and approx 11' off the ground so the Michigan players could not touch it on their way into the stadium.
  • Banner made the trip back to CNY in the trunk of a car, passing through Canadian customs. It was never burned, and is still in tact today safely tucked away somewhere in the greater Syracuse area.
  • Banner made a tour of several north side watering holes that fall for photo opportunities.
  • A plan was made to get the banner into the dome for Michigan's return game in 1999, where it would have been altered and displayed. Friends in the SPD indicated that the Michigan State Police, who traveled with the football team, were arriving in town with eyes opened for it and prepared to take action on anyone found to be in possession of it. As a result, those plans were scrapped and instead the banner was briefly displayed from the VA garage for pre-game tailgaters to see.

4dv94.jpg

egpoo0.jpg

This is why going to the ACC makes so much sense. Actually regularly playing games against football schools again. Games that matter with passionate fan bases- sorry USF and Rutgers- that have traditions. And banners that can be stolen and desecrated. Think of the rivalry we could have had with Michigan if Nunes had not realized his team was in control of the game and crapped his pants. Beating Michigan two years in a row would have driven them crazy to the point where you would think they would have wanted to schedule us again. God bless the local guys that made it happen. Figures it was townies, required way too much effort for Cuse students. They can't even show up to games when they are on campus. Too buys studying, or playing hackeysack. Probably more of the latter.

I had posted these pics in another thread yesterday, and someone else provided a link back to this one from a few weeks ago which I must have missed. Slow Friday during a bye week so I figured I'd throw these out there again along with a little bit of the story...
  • The banner was acquired by a half dozen Syracuse fans the night before the game at Michigan in Sept 1998. Not students but 'townies' in their late-20's who made the road trip.
  • Banner was actually found in Crisler Arena, next door to the football stadium which was wide open the night before the game as they were putting finishing touches on the studio used for the Bo Schembechler Show which was filmed there after football games. It it huge, bulky and weighs over 50 lbs. It took several individuals to carry.
  • The morning of the game the fact that the banner was missing was all over the radio in Ann Arbor. A replacement banner was used for the game, but ti was flimsy and approx 11' off the ground so the Michigan players could not touch it on their way into the stadium.
  • Banner made the trip back to CNY in the trunk of a car, passing through Canadian customs. It was never burned, and is still in tact today safely tucked away somewhere in the greater Syracuse area.
  • Banner made a tour of several north side watering holes that fall for photo opportunities.
  • A plan was made to get the banner into the dome for Michigan's return game in 1999, where it would have been altered and displayed. Friends in the SPD indicated that the Michigan State Police, who traveled with the football team, were arriving in town with eyes opened for it and prepared to take action on anyone found to be in possession of it. As a result, those plans were scrapped and instead the banner was briefly displayed from the VA garage for pre-game tailgaters to see.

4dv94.jpg

egpoo0.jpg

that my friend is the story of the decade. AWESOME is all I can say! And those pictures?

Priceless. Were those taken in ann arbor? Looks like the guys in orange were in the same gear the Iraq waterboarding prisoners were in. Which is why its lucky they never fingered you guys :)

This is why going to the ACC makes so much sense. Actually regularly playing games against football schools again. Games that matter with passionate fan bases...

100% agreed.

And I was watching the SU-Michigan '98 game the morning we played N'western. The announcers make prominent mention of the "GO BLUE" banner being stolen and the crappy replacement the team ran out through.

Good times.

that my friend is the story of the decade. AWESOME is all I can say! And those pictures?

Priceless. Were those taken in ann arbor? Looks like the guys in orange were in the same gear the Iraq waterboarding prisoners were in. Which is why its lucky they never fingered you guys :)

Even better - check out the Dome in the center of the shot (with Lawrinson and Mount Olympus to the right).

Cool story.

4dv94.jpg

egpoo0.jpg

For me, this is one, if not the coolest, football related (off the field) story I've heard on these boards. That spans well over a decade, when you include the AOL, Rival, Scout, etc. forums...just awesome!

Those pictures must have been taken at Woodland Resevoir on Geddes St. There's a road that leads up to the roundtop, and the picture shows the water with downtown and SU further in the background. Makes sense they were "townies" who pulled off the heist.

Those pictures must have been taken at Woodland Resevoir on Geddes St. There's a road that leads up to the roundtop, and the picture shows the water with downtown and SU further in the background. Makes sense they were "townies" who pulled off the heist.

Yes that looks like the roundtop road next to the Hancock Dr extension off Stolp Ave on the backside of Woodland Res in the Strathmore area. Right by where I grew up. So funny.

Bingo!

Tried to get a shot with the dome in the background, without actually having to get too close to it. Unfortunately cameras back in 1998 weren't quite like what we all have today so they didn't come out that great. Plus that was way before digital so these are just scans.

If you take that 2nd photo and transfer it to a photo editing program..I used Picasa, you can lighten it up. I'm a total amateur and I think with a few tweaks you can make it more visible.

I zoomed into the red sign near the left lower corner of the banner, it says.

"The Cuse Is In the House

Oh my God!"

4dv94.jpg

egpoo0.jpg
Wonderful story and greatly appreciated. That Michigan win was one of my all-time favorites. It was played on my birthday and I worked with a huge Michigan homer who sat in a Ford suite at the game. She was devastated at the loss and pissed I had her office decorated in orange upon her return. Thank you for your part in that sweet weekend.

I remember seeing that game and wondering what had happened to the Go Blue banner, we didn't do what Ohio State did one year when they came out of the tunnel classlessly tried to tear that banner on their entrance in.

4dv94.jpg

egpoo0.jpg

Can I like this post an infinite number of times? One question. Was the plan to take the banner concocted all along? Or was it a spur of the moment type thing? Hey, let's go to the game. Hey, who left this door open? Is that the Michigan banner? Wait, no ones around... Still loving this story.

Can I like this post an infinite number of times? One question. Was the plan to take the banner concocted all along? Or was it a spur of the moment type thing? Hey, let's go to the game. Hey, who left this door open? Is that the Michigan banner? Wait, no ones around... Still loving this story.
I love the story but kinda think the thread should be deleted to remove any possible exposure for the perpetrators.

The banner was simply stumbled upon. Crisler Arena is right next to the football stadium. The night before the football game, after last call, the group of guys decided to drive by the stadium on the way back to the hotel to simply get a feel for where it was and check out parking. Lights were on in Crisler and a large loading door was open. Parked and walked right into the arena and right onto center court. Wandered around a bit and talked to a few contractors asked why the hell the basketball arena is wide open in the middle of the night they said they were working on the set used for the football coaches show which was filmed in a room there.

Continued walking around and came across something that looked like a big blue tarp folded up. Thought maybe it was something cool so grabbed it, walked out of the arena (it took 3 people to carry) and threw it in the van. Got back to the hotel and unfurled it in the parking lot. It was huge. Had no clue what "Go Blue the M Club Supports You" meant and nobody knew about their tradition. Threw it in the trunk of another car.

Next morning someone is looking through an Ann Arbor area guide or something like that at the hotel and sees a pic of Michigan players running under the sign. The one that is currently locked in the trunk of a car in the parking lot! Turned on the radio and heard that a banner was missing and the university was looking for it. They didn't find it...

Statute of limitations has run out and the perpetrators are all in nursing homes or jail already. ;)

Ha! Yes - statute of limitations is up. "Perpetrators" are all well respected members of the CNY community. A couple business owners, a VP, an engineer, teacher, coaches, all are now fathers, married, homeowners, etc.

Ha! Yes - statute of limitations is up. "Perpetrators" are all well respected members of the CNY community. A couple business owners, a VP, an engineer, teacher, coaches, all are now fathers, married, homeowners, etc.[/quote]

Well only the best and brightest are true SU fans anyways. :D