The Michigan 'GO BLUE' Banner | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Michigan 'GO BLUE' Banner

The all time best story on this site deserves a much deserved bump. Well done gentlemen.

May we soon see this historic and legendary banner one day at a equally legendary Fine Mess tailgate!
Absolutely the best thread on this board, by far. Of course I'd heard about the pilfering of the banner, but these insider details are awesome!
Please please please schedule Michigan in a meaningful game, so we can finally unfurl that thing on the Dome carpet!
:rolling:

Check out the 50 second mark when they run under it, the 30 min 20 second mark when Brent and dan talk about it and how it may show up in a Syracuse frat house and finally the 2 hr 6 minute mark when you can here mine and the voices of thousands of us in this surreal game.

Forgotten and still can't believe that was Brady. He looked ordinary, in fact less than ordinary. What a complete and utter rout. I'm thinking we're on our way back to this!
That’s why he went in the sixth round. The next year at the dome, wasn’t it him and Drew Henson both playing?

That’s why he went in the sixth round. The next year at the dome, wasn’t it him and Drew Henson both playing?

They both played in the 1998 game at Michigan. Brady started and Henson replaced him.

If you take that 2nd photo and transfer it to a photo editing program..I used Picasa, you can lighten it up. I'm a total amateur and I think with a few tweaks you can make it more visible.

I zoomed into the red sign near the left lower corner of the banner, it says.

"The Cuse Is In the House

Oh my God!"

amateur attempt.

egpoo0.jpg

Hey Cuse fans, I'm Seth from MGoBlog, and the editor of our print annual Hail to the Victors. We are running an article in this year's book by Michigan historian Dr. Sap on the theft of the banner before the '98 Syracuse game (my first as a U-M student) and plan to use information from this thread. Any further information would be most welcome as we try to portray the story as accurately as possible.

Bygones are bygones, and my own meager trophy collection (suck it, Ohio!) attests to the respect I have for the tradition of stealing other schools' traditions (and the lengths Princeton went to in order to stop Rutgers from taking theirs).

By the way, from our research we discovered the banner taken by the Syracuse Six was the longest-serving of several Michigan's deployed since the tradition began in 1962. I've attached a photo of its first game in 1976. Though the banner isn't technically owned by the athletic department (the M Club is a lettermen's alumni club not officially affiliated with the school), the morning after the theft Michigan's equipment manager had a makeshift banner made by a local tent & awning company. A few players told us they fell down trying to touch it because it was too high. The new one they ordered arrived in early October but Michigan had two road games and a bye week before it could debut. That one lasted through 2011, and there have been two since; Nike provided the current one in 2016.

If the banner of '76 is still around, we would like to offer the opportunity to return it in person to longtime Michigan equipment manager Jon Falk, who if you're a college football fan is definitely one of the few people you would most enjoy meeting (three Syracuse head coaches were assistants in his locker rooms). With 20 years passed, the time of any potential repercussions is long over, and though I don't have any pull in this department, knowing who does, such a gesture could have the possibility of generating a future home-and-home series between our two schools, which I would very much be in favor of. This is a bona fide college football legend, and those who pulled it off should take their place in that history proudly now that there's no more reason to hide in the shadows and leave the banner collecting dust. If you'd like to reach out to me, I can respect whatever level of privacy you require: seth at mgoblog.com, or twitter @Misopogon.

Thanks! And thank you for this thread!!!

P.S. Also for knocking MSU out of the dance this year. Highly, entertaining, highly appreciated.

Attachments

• 06 1976 Banner bl009789 6648x4275.jpg
    06 1976 Banner bl009789 6648x4275.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 60
Hey Cuse fans, I'm Seth from MGoBlog, and the editor of our print annual Hail to the Victors. We are running an article in this year's book by Michigan historian Dr. Sap on the theft of the banner before the '98 Syracuse game (my first as a U-M student) and plan to use information from this thread. Any further information would be most welcome as we try to portray the story as accurately as possible.

Bygones are bygones, and my own meager trophy collection (suck it, Ohio!) attests to the respect I have for the tradition of stealing other schools' traditions (and the lengths Princeton went to in order to stop Rutgers from taking theirs).

By the way, from our research we discovered the banner taken by the Syracuse Six was the longest-serving of several Michigan's deployed since the tradition began in 1962. I've attached a photo of its first game in 1976. Though the banner isn't technically owned by the athletic department (the M Club is a lettermen's alumni club not officially affiliated with the school), the morning after the theft Michigan's equipment manager had a makeshift banner made by a local tent & awning company. A few players told us they fell down trying to touch it because it was too high. The new one they ordered arrived in early October but Michigan had two road games and a bye week before it could debut. That one lasted through 2011, and there have been two since; Nike provided the current one in 2016.

If the banner of '76 is still around, we would like to offer the opportunity to return it in person to longtime Michigan equipment manager Jon Falk, who if you're a college football fan is definitely one of the few people you would most enjoy meeting (three Syracuse head coaches were assistants in his locker rooms). With 20 years passed, the time of any potential repercussions is long over, and though I don't have any pull in this department, knowing who does, such a gesture could have the possibility of generating a future home-and-home series between our two schools, which I would very much be in favor of. This is a bona fide college football legend, and those who pulled it off should take their place in that history proudly now that there's no more reason to hide in the shadows and leave the banner collecting dust. If you'd like to reach out to me, I can respect whatever level of privacy you require: seth at mgoblog.com, or twitter @Misopogon.

Thanks! And thank you for this thread!!!

P.S. Also for knocking MSU out of the dance this year. Highly, entertaining, highly appreciated.

I can’t help you in the flag department but thanks for the very thoughtful post and respectfully reaching out.

I know the owners of the flag read this board. I recommend they contact someone about repatriation. It would be a good story.
No, it would be a GREAT story! I’m all for releasing the banner and giving this legend a much needed boost. Sprinkle in a few good-natured cameos/quotes from McNabb and the GOAT, Tom Brady, and you have the makings of a great CFB legend. Just do it!

I had posted these pics in another thread yesterday, and someone else provided a link back to this one from a few weeks ago which I must have missed. Slow Friday during a bye week so I figured I'd throw these out there again along with a little bit of the story...
  • The banner was acquired by a half dozen Syracuse fans the night before the game at Michigan in Sept 1998. Not students but 'townies' in their late-20's who made the road trip.
  • Banner was actually found in Crisler Arena, next door to the football stadium which was wide open the night before the game as they were putting finishing touches on the studio used for the Bo Schembechler Show which was filmed there after football games. It it huge, bulky and weighs over 50 lbs. It took several individuals to carry.
  • The morning of the game the fact that the banner was missing was all over the radio in Ann Arbor. A replacement banner was used for the game, but ti was flimsy and approx 11' off the ground so the Michigan players could not touch it on their way into the stadium.
  • Banner made the trip back to CNY in the trunk of a car, passing through Canadian customs. It was never burned, and is still in tact today safely tucked away somewhere in the greater Syracuse area.
  • Banner made a tour of several north side watering holes that fall for photo opportunities.
  • A plan was made to get the banner into the dome for Michigan's return game in 1999, where it would have been altered and displayed. Friends in the SPD indicated that the Michigan State Police, who traveled with the football team, were arriving in town with eyes opened for it and prepared to take action on anyone found to be in possession of it. As a result, those plans were scrapped and instead the banner was briefly displayed from the VA garage for pre-game tailgaters to see.

4dv94.jpg

egpoo0.jpg

That banner went on a helluva run and tour. Would never happen today as some jackass would get on social media with pics and get the whole mission blown, lol.

Orange46R, let me congratulate you for 2 major life accomplishments. Most people would be happy with just the banner caper or becoming a 46er. Having done 9 high peaks last year I'm fully aware how difficult the latter is. Well done!

Keep the banner! Or until the Michigan boy returns his Ohio St shite!

If you're thinking about returning the banner you should have a bidding war. Go on the Michigan St and Ohio St boards and ask for the best offer!! See what board will offer the most for the banner - Michigan - Michigan St or Ohio St. You might get something fun in return. Or even better have their schools' athletic department schedule a home and home with Cuse in return for the banner. It would be fun to see the Buckeyes in the Dome.

M
Make em play for it. Like Mich/Minn little brown jug.
I love this idea, except as soon as they won it, be it in 5 years or 10, they’d have a trophy to replace it and we’d never see the banner again. I like embroidering the year on it in orange or maize depending upon who won, a bit like the Stanley Cup. Start with an orange 1998

Seth, you need to step up your offer.

If the University of Michigan wants it’s banner back, then bring the team up to Syracuse and win it back.

The ideas to play a game or something similar will assure it won't happen.