The new Chancellor's remarks today... | Syracusefan.com

The new Chancellor's remarks today...

cto

Administrator
I watched the event on an SU web cast, and he seems to be a very likable guy. He said he had two words that summed up his feelings about coming to SU. After a dramatic pause, he said the two words were "I'm in." I don't know whether that was a direct reference to the IPF fund-raising campaign, but it sounded good.

Towards the end of his talk, he said his goal was for Syracuse to be a university "that would flatten the competition, including Duke."

I guess it is a good thing for him that we left the Big East. I really can't imagine him talking about flattening Georgetown (his alma mater).

Last edited:
Of course it is a reference!!!! Any good incoming Chancellor is going to do their homework before making his first public remarks. And it shows that he knows the athletic program is an integral part of our school.
I would love to "flatten Duke" in all ways including academics. A pretty lofty goal I have to say!!

I watched the event on an SU web cast, and he seems to be a very likable guy. He said he had two words that summed up his feelings about coming to SU. After a dramatic pause, he said the two words were "I'm in." I don't know whether that was a direct reference to the IPF fund-raising campaign, but it sounded good.

Towards the end of his talk, he said his goal was to have in Syracuse a university "that would flatten the competition, including Duke."

I guess it is a good thing for him that we left the Big East. I really can't imagine him talking about flattening Georgetown (his alma mater).

Thanks CTO... As a board member, what do you think about him from a leadership standpoint? Seems Dean of Wash U law to Chancellor at SU is a big step. Be nice if we could rectify our school ranking to fit in more with our ACC peers. We used to be in the 40's via US News, interesting enough we just fell back to 62 the other day... Hopefully, that starts to change...

Obviously a very nice and humble man. But can he make the hard, tough decisions? Time will tell.

Cheers,
Neil

Towards the end of his talk, he said his goal was to have in Syracuse a university "that would flatten the competition, including Duke."

Question for you CTO. I read in the PS that there were over 200 applicants. How does the Board of Trustees review them all and make such an important decision? I have a picture in my mind of all these big wigs hunched over applications in a 12 Angry Men/jury room. I assume though, that this is definitely not how it all goes down.

He will get many chances to see us flatten GTown once the series' contract gets signed.

Welcome aboard Fivehead Kent! ;)

Question for you CTO. I read in the PS that there were over 200 applicants. How does the Board of Trustees review them all and make such an important decision? I have a picture in my mind of all these big wigs hunched over applications in a 12 Angry Men/jury room. I assume though, that this is definitely not how it all goes down.

I would guess they had some TA's that tossed out your application before the wigs had time to consider it. :p

This guy sounds promising. The two universities where he has worked are perfect case studies for what Syracuse should try to be - mid-sized private universities with national reputations that keep them in the top 25, strong but small grad programs, and a reputation for inclusiveness and diversity that does not come at the expense of ranking or reputation (Wash U especially is good on this front). The law schools he has run have seen their reputations and rankings improve during his tenure. He's a local guy who understands the issues facing central NY very clearly. As someone who has run professional schools (which attract foreigners) and has worked in international law, he understands the scale of the opportunity coming out of Asia in terms of flow of students - something that SU is not doing a great job of tapping in to (not to mention the fact that he has an Asian wife). I think he very likely has a clear understanding of how to leverage athletics to strengthen the university as a whole. I don't know anything about the guy, but these factors combined with what he has said make me very encouraged.

I am sure the ultra-liberals on the faculty will be unhappy - they can go to Rutgers Newark and take a 40% pay cut to teach in the hood if they so desire. (I am exceedingly pro diversity, but you need to do it in a way that makes Syracuse a destination school for the best prepared minorities because they know they will get funding, support, and a strong community - Nancy just wanted numbers which is a silly way to run a private university. )

I hope this guy puts Academics first. To put into perspective just how far SU has fallen...it's only two spots ahead of Rutgers in the 2014 rankings :eek:

He will get many chances to see us flatten GTown once the series' contract gets signed.

Welcome aboard Fivehead Kent! ;)

upload_2013-9-12_14-24-48.png

I'm assuming some (highly paid) search firm narrowed down the applicants.

I've met the new chancellor several years ago in my day job. He is a very likable guy.

I wish his two words had been "Georgetown Sucks."
Yup...but then he might have been accused of plagiarizing Shaq.

Based on everything coming out today, combined with googling the internet tubes - me likey.

Syracuse University's new chancellor
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....ty_names_kent_syverud_as_next_chancellor.html

New Syracuse chancellor Kent D. Syverud takes playful jab at Georgetown basketball
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/09/new_syracuse_chancellor_kent_d.html

Turning the page: Next chancellor expresses eagerness to learn about, connect with Syracuse community
http://www.dailyorange.com/2013/09/turning-the-page-next-chancellor-expresses-eagerness-to-learn-about-connect-with-syracuse-community/

Last edited:
According to the 6 oclock news in Rochester, the guy was raised in Irondequoit and graduated from West Irondequoit High, which is where my son just graduated from in June. I love all of the Rochester connections to SU.
I'm a West Irondequoit grad as well. I wasn't aware we allowed IHS grads to go to Georgetown.

Can we get an exhibition game in Rochester please?

Just an added thought on this guy - there is no doubt that he is very very very smart. You don't get a clerkship with a Supreme Court justice without being exceptionally intelligent and without the ability to understand complex issues on a very deep level while still keeping the 'big picture' in clear focus. My grandfather clerked for the court and he is far and away the smartest person I've ever met despite my working in an industry that his its share of intellectual heavyweights (along with a large number of idiots). Unfortunately my genetic material seems to have sprung from a different side of the family tree :). Anyway, this is a qualification that may seem to have little to do with running the school - but I think it's easily the best thing on his resume for what it says about his abilities. Can't wait to see what he does.

Last edited:
I'm a West Irondequoit grad as well. I wasn't aware we allowed IHS grads to go to Georgetown.

Can we get an exhibition game in Rochester please?

Believe it or not, my son had a couple of teachers at IHS who were graduates of Georgetown. They had a lot of fun razzing each other this past year with SU leaving the BE.

But he's never been a University President before. This can't possibly be a good hire!!!

(sarcasm).

If you saw my posts on the other topic related to this, this is a good get.

If this were LSU they'd be asking why Les Miles would hire a Chancellor when the team is undefeated?

Seems like a pretty good hire to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom