The NIL ERA | Syracusefan.com

The NIL ERA

Finwad32

Hall of Fame
I have largely reserved my thoughts on this, but I feel like I need to add perspective as far as the players go, even though it’s limited.

In coaching many young men that are from urban areas, especially NYC, and all walks of life really, I find it impossible to pass judgement on their decision to leave Syracuse or any school regardless of my allegiances.

The backgrounds and experiences of many of these players is something a lot of people can’t fathom. I certainly couldn’t until I experienced it through their eyes.

A scholarship alone, even though great, does nothing to improve their oftentimes horrendous financial and living situations. If their god given ability has EARNED them an opportunity to improve those situations even one iota, God Bless.

The pressures they face, as well as their own desires to improve their situations is as powerful as any motivator that exists.

The system is what it is, the NIL ERA is what it is. And for some, it’s a wonderful thing. For some, it’s a terrible decision, but that’s a risk that’s worth taking for someone in dire circumstances.

Until there are checks and balances in place, like a cap, it will be wild. But that’s not the players fault, and they’re doing what 98% of people would do by trying to improve their situation.

And I wholeheartedly wish them well in that endeavor.

Depends on whether they ultimately finish their degeee (wherever they finish), how much they received from NIL, and what they decided to do with it. There are many different variables at play which impact whether transferring for money winds up being a smart financial decision or a poor one.

I’d even argue that receiving say, $100k is a poor decision if it results in no degree and the money isn’t invested in either real estate or stocks.

If they’re purchasing a home for their immediate family to get out of a dangerous area, then that is more than understandable. I just hope they all finish their degrees as I’d hate to see a young person spoil the opportunity to change the trajectory of their family tree permanently.

Depends on whether they ultimately finish their degeee (wherever they finish), how much they received from NIL, and what they decided to do with it. There are many different variables at play which impact whether transferring for money winds up being a smart financial decision or a poor one.

I’d even argue that receiving say, $100k is a poor decision if it results in no degree and the money isn’t invested in either real estate or stocks.

If they’re purchasing a home for their immediate family to get out of a dangerous area, then that is more than understandable. I just hope they all finish their degrees as I’d hate to see a young person spoil the opportunity to change the trajectory of their family tree permanently.
Although a level headed take… Long term perspective is a luxury to someone whose family struggles to buy groceries and heat their house.

Although a level headed take… Long term perspective is a luxury to someone whose family struggles to buy groceries and heat their house.
It was a level headed take, because it’s correct. Moving up the socioeconomic ladder and eventually even placing yourself in a situation to create generational wealth requires certain logical, tried and true steps.

I hope these young people have adults steering them to maximize their opportunities for the long term.

It was a level headed take, because it’s correct. Moving up the socioeconomic ladder and eventually even placing yourself in a situation to create generational wealth requires certain logical, tried and true steps.

I hope these young people have adults steering them to maximize their opportunities for the long term.
That’s the point, they’re where they’re at because they haven’t moved up that ladder. And even though level headed and correct, it’s still short sighted and lacks perspective.

I’m not trying to be a jerk but I think this misses some of the important things/points finwad was trying to highlight. I teach in a very poor district (rural instead of urban). Decisions we make, especially long term we’ve been taught and learned to do. They’re natural to us and obvious. When we think other people should view things and think long term as we do. We’re passing judgement from our POV without any understanding of all the environmental factors these kids face through their lives.

That’s the point, they’re where they’re at because they haven’t moved up that ladder. And even though level headed and correct, it’s still short sighted and lacks perspective.
Lacks perspective? If you knew my background and where I grew up you wouldn’t say that. Go ahead and visit South Troy sometime for some perspective. Just cause I’m middle class now doesn’t mean I was born like this.

Just to add some more perspective to this--- 40% of transfers did not find new homes last year which seems sort of high. That's the worst of both worlds as they won't get a degree or any NIL money

Lacks perspective? If you knew my background and where I grew up you wouldn’t say that. Go ahead and visit South Troy sometime for some perspective.
I don’t know why you’re arguing with me, I said I agreed with your take. But 10k probably means more to someone whose family is getting evicted and has no money to their name.

That’s great that you pulled yourself up, I’m happy for you. Doesn’t change the fact that some of these players will pick up a dime to solve an immediate need rather than walk down the road for a dollar.

It’s nice that you’re in a position to have the view you do.

I have largely reserved my thoughts on this, but I feel like I need to add perspective as far as the players go, even though it’s limited.

In coaching many young men that are from urban areas, especially NYC, and all walks of life really, I find it impossible to pass judgement on their decision to leave Syracuse or any school regardless of my allegiances.

The backgrounds and experiences of many of these players is something a lot of people can’t fathom. I certainly couldn’t until I experienced it through their eyes.

A scholarship alone, even though great, does nothing to improve their oftentimes horrendous financial and living situations. If their god given ability has EARNED them an opportunity to improve those situations even one iota, God Bless.

The pressures they face, as well as their own desires to improve their situations is as powerful as any motivator that exists.

The system is what it is, the NIL ERA is what it is. And for some, it’s a wonderful thing. For some, it’s a terrible decision, but that’s a risk that’s worth taking for someone in dire circumstances.

Until there are checks and balances in place, like a cap, it will be wild. But that’s not the players fault, and they’re doing what 98% of people would do by trying to improve their situation.

Can’t fault the players, it’s the system. People leave jobs all the time for higher paying jobs. Football is a violent game. Unfortunately you never know when the last time you may step on the field. Unfortunately with that in mind, the players have to try to get there’s whenever they can.

People are really upset players transfer before bowl games. But why put yourself at risk and harm when you don’t need to. Look at jaylin smith. Top 5 pick that fell because of a bowl game Knee injury and he has never been the same player. I love the extra games from a fan perspective and it’s a great opportunity for younger players to play and get experience. But unless you are playing in the playoff I don’t see much need for players transferring or going to the NFL to put themselves at risk.

I don’t know why you’re arguing with me, I said I agreed with your take. But 10k probably means more to someone whose family is getting evicted and has no money to their name.

That’s great that you pulled yourself up, I’m happy for you. Doesn’t change the fact that some of these players will pick up a dime to solve an immediate need rather than walk down the road for a dollar.

It’s nice that you’re in a position to have the view you do.
I just don’t want to see any of these young men waste their chance to really change their trajectory due to the immediate needs of their families back home. That’s what I’m saying.

Not arguing, just pointing out that to presume I don’t have perspective on this isn’t entirely accurate.

I just don’t want to see any of these young men waste their chance to really change their trajectory due to the immediate needs of their families back home. That’s what I’m saying.

Not arguing, just pointing out that to presume I don’t have perspective on this isn’t entirely accurate.

I assume you weren't a D1 athlete with NFL dreams having someone flash 25K in front of you.

There's really no reason to be either argumentative or personal on what Finwad32 who is close to this stuff is saying.

I assume you weren't a D1 athlete with NFL dreams having someone flash 25K in front of you.

There's really no reason to be either argumentative or personal on what Finwad32 who is close to this stuff is saying.
Your reading this thread in a much different way than I am. From where I see it it seemed like he was presuming a POV on me that was incorrect and I then explained that was not the case.

I’ll just bow out of this thread as it’s genuinely confusing to me as to who can argue what and with whom at times.

They ha for already released a top 50 and beyond of transfers. Honestly I don’t see Duce of Ja’had being that close to any of them. So what kind of $ are we talking about? Their leaving for $10k? $20k? First that’s awful if we can’t match that and second Duce has a chance to go pro next year. Even on practice squad he would make close to $80k. Same with Carter if he continues to improve like he did this year. Hopefully they are leaving for a lot more then that.

I recognize the fact that I am the outlier on this issue. I’m okay with that. I believe my view has the best interests of the players/athletes at heart… though I’m sure most would disagree with that.

The nature of fans, or perhaps just human nature in general, operates under the belief that once a direction is established there is no reversing direction - back to the previous fork in the where one got sidetracked. Unchecked, things continue one direction, and fans/people just go along. Call it pragmatism, call it the slippery slope, or just
Defeatism. No one believes things can fundamentally change for the better. It’s always simply, “How can we tweek this bad thing and hope to make it better.

I’ve tried to express my view on this many, many different ways - without much success. Frankly, I blame the medium. It’s much easier to discuss these kinds of things in person.

But I’m going to try another tack…

If you were talking with a small child, of let’s say six or seven - from one of these backgrounds - would you say to him, “ You know Johnny, if you work hard at football, you could get accepted at State U., maybe make some good money from NIL, and then even if you never make the NFL, at least you’ll have made $100,000 grand or so.”

Or would you say, “Johnny, you’re a talented athlete. And that’s great, but there are more important things than sports, and the best way for you and your family to succeed isn’t by running and tackling but by getting an education, earning a degree, and establishing a real career path, as a teacher, or (insert real career goal here).”

We have been giving up on young kids by sending them the wrong message. Football is a means to a greater end, it’s not the road that will fundamentally change the lives of 99% of the players. Schools, and fans, and parents have been complicit in this lie, and it gets perpetuated and magnified at every step. Every concession by the NCAA or decision by the Big5 takes us further from what is really in the best interests of the kid.

Want to help them? Advocate for a league where kids who want to play football can go and play, make sone money if they want. Let colleges focus on educating our youth. If football is part of that, fine, but not as the big business it is now. Let kids see hard evidence that the way out isn’t football but education and a purpose in society. It will likely take more than a generation. There is no quick fix.

But I believe Pandora’s box can be closed back up.

Maybe the top players can jump ship for lucrative paydays, but the next level players are jeopardizing their long-term futures by chasing after chicken feed.
It's a tough message to give to people who come from a hand to mouth existence, but ... stay in your academic program, graduate and be successful long term is the wisest advice to give to young people.
Chasing rainbows, whether it's the lottery or the NFL or the NIL, will pay off poorly in the end.

Maybe the top players can jump ship for lucrative paydays, but the next level players are jeopardizing their long-term futures by chasing after chicken feed.
It's a tough message to give to people who come from a hand to mouth existence, but ... stay in your academic program, graduate and be successful long term is the wisest advice to give to young people.
Chasing rainbows, whether it's the lottery or the NFL or the NIL, will pay off poorly in the end.
I agree with this as a rational, well thought out plan, but when Finwad32 was saying that it’s helping their moms get heat in their home or not being evicted, I’m not sure that SOME kids have there luxury of rational well thought out plans. I’m not sure I could have looked at my mom at 18-21 and say, “no ma, throw another sweater on, you will be alright, I have to think about my long term future.” I’m sure some of these kids have watched a single parent work two jobs for minimum wage to keep their bellies partially full. I just think you have to walk a mile in a man’s shoes before we judge what they should or shouldnt do. I’m not saying you are doing that, and this is an extremely sensitive subject, but the world isn’t the same for everyone.

"But the scarcity mindset makes escaping poverty extremely difficult. You can’t invest in the future when your present needs are not met. Limited money and extreme focus on the short-term make it hard to plan ahead"

wait...why can’t they graduate when they earn money using their NIL, or go in the transfer portal, or even leave for the nfl early?

do you believe the players than transfer TO Syracuse are chasing rainbows as well?

I agree with this as a rational, well thought out plan, but when Finwad32 was saying that it’s helping their moms get heat in their home or not being evicted, I’m not sure that SOME kids have there luxury of rational well thought out plans. I’m not sure I could have looked at my mom at 18-21 and say, “no ma, throw another sweater on, you will be alright, I have to think about my long term future.” I’m sure some of these kids have watched a single parent work two jobs for minimum wage to keep their bellies partially full. I just think you have to walk a mile in a man’s shoes before we judge what they should or shouldnt do. I’m not saying you are doing that, and this is an extremely sensitive subject, but the world isn’t the same for everyone.
Best case scenario, they're lifting their families out of poverty.
Worst case scenario, they're splurging on a shiny new Trans-Am.
Middle of the road scenario, they're making tens of thousands of dollars that will be a pleasant memory.

Is “ERA” some kind of abbreviation or acronym?

They ha for already released a top 50 and beyond of transfers. Honestly I don’t see Duce of Ja’had being that close to any of them. So what kind of $ are we talking about? Their leaving for $10k? $20k? First that’s awful if we can’t match that and second Duce has a chance to go pro next year. Even on practice squad he would make close to $80k. Same with Carter if he continues to improve like he did this year. Hopefully they are leaving for a lot more then that.
You’re also making an assumption that they are leaving for NIL and there is not something more that is driving their decision to transfer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom