The Nuncio Campanile Show | Syracusefan.com

The Nuncio Campanile Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
(Welcome to the first and only Nunzio Campanile Show!)

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: https://tunein.com/radio/home/

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG (Update: this account seems to have closed.)
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

“Coach, thank you for stepping forward to try to help us have a positive end to a difficult season. I hope you can continue to help us in future seasons.

You are our tight ends coach. People have wondered for years why we don’t throw the ball more to the tight ends, as so many football teams do these days. We’ve also wondered why we don’t throw over the middle more and other tam have had success doing that against us. Could you enlighten us as to why we haven’t done these things?”

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

Tim Leonard was the host. He asked NC what the last week was like. “It’s been a whirlwind. The players have been through a lot. We need to guide them to finish the season strong. Our guys still have a lot to play for. They are dealing with their emotions. They had love and respect for Coach Babers. They can look forward to a really bright future. All of the things they’ve worked really hard for are still in front of them. The captains are keeping guys focused but we are keeping it fun. It helps that there are no classes this week. It lightens the load.” Tim noted he’d done this before but for 8 games at Rutgers.
They are going to have a Thanksgiving meal for the team at Heritage Hill on Thursday.

Tim asked how the coaching change will impact recruiting. NC: “We’ve got a really good recruiting class. I’ve talked to all of them, answering their questions and making sure they know that Syracuse remains committed to them.” [But are they remained committed to Syracuse?] Tim asked how much the Syracuse University brand still means. NC: “I’m about the same age as Donovan McNabb. It was always SU-Penn State and Notre Dame. There were always a lot of local guys, (local New Jersey guys) on the SU roster.” Tim asked if he knew any members of the current SU staff before he came here. “No. I met Mike Lynch of a recruiting trip and I met Coach Babers once. I’ve worked closely with Mike Johnson, (the wide receivers coach) since I got here. Our offices are next to each other. “

Tim asked what receivers DC had in his unit, since he also covered the slots. He named several of them but they included Oronde Gadsden, Donovan Brown, even Damian Alford, (briefly) and, of course, Dan Villari. How did the team come up with this new offense? NC called is an “offensive evolution. Necessity is the mother of invention.” [Wish I’d thought of that.] “What do these guys do best and how can we use them to do what they do best? Jason Beck has the creativity to try different things. Get the ball into the best playmaker’s hands. There’s constant evaluation to find new ways to have success.”

He lauded Villari for the “different roles he can play. He’s a heck of a football player. Missing the spring and fall practice delayed his development. Quarterback to tight end is a hard move, especially the blocking. You have to be patient. He has a high ceiling as a receiver. It’s a big change, technically.”

Dom in North Carolina is training his son to be a (I thought he said ‘baseball’) player. He’s going to bring him up to camp here in the spring, despite the firing. Dom was originally from Hudson County in New Jersey, where the high school football has always been really good. He and Nuncio talked about the old days there. NC is has a story similar to Jim Boeheim’s about losing a big game in high school – his team had been unscored upon until a championship game where they lost in overtime. He’s still trying to get over it.

I got my call in and asked about the tight ends and throwing over the middle. He seemed taken aback by what he called a ‘great question”, as if he’d never through about it before. But he came up with a good answer. ‘All-conference tight ends get 35-40 catches. A great player like Brock Bowers might get 60. But most teams have pass rush issues that require tight ends to be blockers. They need to help the quarterback get the ball off. It takes protection to throw over the middle. Then we had the injuries, (to the offensive line). Jason, at Virginia used multiple tight ends in different ways.” Tim said “The current style doesn’t produce many tight end catches.” NC: “Max Mang is tough and physical. David Clement is a local kid…We wish we could throw to all of them all day long but sometimes it’s not easy.” [That’s the theme of the Babers era- everything comes back to the offensive line and how it limits us. We’re still waiting for the elephants to grow up.]

Lew (Lou?) from Utica invited Nuncio to come to Utica for some real good Italian cooking. “I know you’ll do you best to keep team morale high. He asked about the impact of NIL money. NC: “If you have good players, they will come after them. Team culture is important but money helps retain good players. Players have to ask ‘Do I have all the facts?’ Don’t be penny wise and pound foolish.” [Another good one.] Tim suggested that if players tay they will get good playing time and that will help them get into the NFL. NC: “That’s where the real money is. Family needs are real. We have some really good players who have a chance to make it to the NFL.”

Tim asked what Nuncios’ coaching style will be. “I was a quarterback coach. Twenty years ago we ran a spread running game. Now everybody’s doing it. I want a tough, physical balanced attack that will stretch the defense vertically and horizontally. You have to make a transition to what you have available.” [Maybe we should hire Nuncio as our new coach?]

What was his message to the team: “You show your love for your teammates by how you play. Last Saturday night we were down 3-24 but got it back to a two point game. The captains were close to Coach Babers but are taking a professional attitude.” [Does that affect their amateur status?]

What about Wake Forest? “They have one the top coaches in the business in Dave Clawson. They’ve struggled but they play 60 minutes of football every week. They are tough on defense It should be fun.”

Thank you!

I think part of Dino’s legacy will be his failure to ever really improve the OL. So many problems have been blamed on OL performance - QB pressures/sacks/injuries, poor passing game, a run game that overly relies on a mobile QB, and now a lack of TE production in the passing game because they are needed for blocking. The next coach better make fixing the OL and getting a functional QB as jobs 1 and 1A or we will be where we are now.

Thank you!

I think part of Dino’s legacy will be his failure to ever really improve the OL. So many problems have been blamed on OL performance - QB pressures/sacks/injuries, poor passing game, a run game that overly relies on a mobile QB, and now a lack of TE production in the passing game because they are needed for blocking. The next coach better make fixing the OL and getting a functional QB as jobs 1 and 1A or we will be where we are now.
His biggest misstep was recruiting “his” high profile QB prospect which was one who required a strong OL to flourish, but having a well below average P5 line the first year DeVito was starting (2019).

That started the train heading in the wrong direction and he never really recovered. He needed a dynamic QB in 2018 even with an average/above average P5 line so I’m not sure what he was thinking looking back.

Is this show avail to listen anywhere?

I can’t find on TuneIn

If I could be assured that there's be an immediately available podcast each time I'd just do a summary and commentary and link people to the podcast. But over the years it's been so inconsistent that I do a sort of scribbled down transcript.
And a big thank you for doing that. It makes for a quick read instead of a long listen to the show or a replay of a show.

I enjoyed that interview. It’s refreshing to meet someone else on the staff. I understand secrecy around injuries but never got hiding the staff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom