The official starting lineup thread | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

The official starting lineup thread

If you look at Gillon's splits, his numbers collapsed vs. top 100 opponents last year. Shot 27% from three vs. 36% vs everyone else. Assist rate was way down, turnover rate way up. He faced only 10 top 100 teams last year, Syracuse faced 18. This does not give me confidence. I understand and am also concerned with Howard's limitations, but what we've seen from him is probably his floor, and what we've seen from Gillon is probably his ceiling.

What did Howard shoot against any opponent? I'm guessing worse than 27% from three and 36% from everywhere else.

One person that is very high on Howard is JB.

No reason not to be high on Howard, doesn't mean he can't be high on both Howard and the 5th year transfer.

What did Howard shoot against any opponent? I'm guessing worse than 27% from three and 36% from everywhere else.
No, Howard was not a good shooter. However, he is not being trumpeted as a shooter; Gillon is, at least on this forum. Howard gets the nod in other areas - familiarity with the system, ideal size for the zone, pass-first PG on a team that looks to have other options.

I am not rooting against Gillon and I hope I am wrong. I hope he crushes it here. Just my opinion based on the data at hand that Howard will end up being the bigger contributor. But they are small sample sizes and can be read in different ways.

No, Howard was not a good shooter. However, he is not being trumpeted as a shooter; Gillon is, at least on this forum. Howard gets the nod in other areas - familiarity with the system, ideal size for the zone, pass-first PG on a team that looks to have other options.

I am not rooting against Gillon and I hope I am wrong. I hope he crushes it here. Just my opinion based on the data at hand that Howard will end up being the bigger contributor. But they are small sample sizes and can be read in different ways.

Gillon also has 2000 more minutes on a college basketball court than Howard. That accounts for something.

I look at it three ways:

starting lineup if not in November then probably by January
Howard (natural point guard, best passer, longest in the system, prototypical size for SU guard)
White (I know, I know - he's really a 3, but there is not much difference between a 2 & a 3 on offense and he should be able to man the top of the zone on D)
Lydon
Roberson
Coleman
Battle is 6th man

closing lineup in tight games
Howard
Battle
White
Roberson
Lydon

Minutes
Guards: Howard 28, Battle 28, White 14, Gillon 10
Forwards: Lydon 34, Roberson 28, White 18 (maybe these adjust downward & Battle gets some minutes here as well)
Centers: Coleman 25, Chukwu 15, Lydon *
(Lydon won't play enough minutes at C to average anything over the course of 35-40 games, but based on last year, I think he will play the position late in close games when we need our best offensive team on the floor)

I am not as high on Gillon as many others seem to be. If anything, I think his minutes decrease as we face tougher competition.
Hi and welcome to the board!

I'm hearing from more than one source that Battle isn't ready to handle the point.

Probably not going to man that role long term, if at all.

This isn't surprising. Some of us have been saying for a long time that Battle is not a point guard. That's one of the reasons it would be odd to start him at that position.

I never thought Roberson would get benched. Who's the last SR this happened to? Can't remember.

You know, it's not even that it was a senior being benched, but pretty much a 2 year starting senior. Almost unprecedented, especially since he wasn't even recruited over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom