The OL is a competitive advantage | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The OL is a competitive advantage

It shouldn't. That's a cliche I've never understood, especially when your biggest home run threat is the rb

Yeah you have to stop giving up touchdowns first, not abandon the game plan on start chucking it all over which isn't what you do well

Exactly what I’m saying my man

Don’t forget we have NIL

Just because you guys don’t hear about it….there’s a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes with significant $
I'm guessing significant $ is pretty relative. But assuming that is true, that is great to here.

I am cautiously optimistic about the line. Most of the line is coming back from a season that saw them run block pretty good and pass block not as good (37 sacks allowed). That said if Bleich is healthy, Vet has gotten stronger so as not to allow the pocket to collapse from the center most plays and if Cruz is a strong rotation player than I think there's a good chance for the oline to be pretty good. I also think a healthy Chris Elmore can help pass block in certain sets from the RB position.
Great point about pass pro Cusefan69 I am "cautiously optimistic" as well. I agree with GoSU96 this is by far the best OL group we've seen in 10+ seasons. But, until we see them improve in pass protection...

One other point, I think part of the problem with pass pro was communication, both within the OL and adjusting protection pre-snap. I think (hope!) that this will be one of the less obvious benefits that Anae will bring to the offense.

Great point about pass pro Cusefan69 I am "cautiously optimistic" as well. I agree with GoSU96 this is by far the best OL group we've seen in 10+ seasons. But, until we see them improve in pass protection...

One other point, I think part of the problem with pass pro was communication, both within the OL and adjusting protection pre-snap. I think (hope!) that this will be one of the less obvious benefits that Anae will bring to the offense.
I'm optimistic about the line as well. I don't think we can afford to lose more than one body throughout the season though. I have a feeling Cruz can come in and play well. I think all he needs is some experience. Similar situation to Bergeron when he came in. So if we lose a Tackle he steps in, if we lose a guard or center he still probably comes in and we possibly shift positions around a bit. I think Illao would be serviceable but not exactly solid yet. Just my thoughts. After that it gest more dicey.

Yeah, I've accepted that a Dave Clawson/Wake model is our best case scenario.

Unless you start tapping into your Caymans bank account for some NIL money.
Pitt BC Rutgers and PSU are never all going to suck the way they did during our best recruiting years

not being racist about qbs is no longer an advantage for us

The stars aligned for a while and that's over

Yeah, people that think we're going to come out throwing against Louisville because of Anae/Beck, should probably reset expectations. That stuff needs more time anyway. Not to mention it's not the most accurate QB or proven WRs.

We will attempt to pummel Louisville on the ground with this combo of OL size, FB size, RB talent and QBs legs. We'll take our shots over the top as they present themselves.

I think we run for close to 300, keep their offense off the field (unless Tucker starts housing them), and win by 10.
What I want to see for 1st play is play-action cause Louisville will expect a heavy dose of Tucker. Draw the defense in then throw to one of the WR down the field for an 80-yard TD. Just like Penn State in '87.

Get the crowd going, shock them, get up quick and then do exactly as you said.

Last edited:
I am cautiously optimistic about the line. Most of the line is coming back from a season that saw them run block pretty good and pass block not as good (37 sacks allowed). That said if Bleich is healthy, Vet has gotten stronger so as not to allow the pocket to collapse from the center most plays and if Cruz is a strong rotation player than I think there's a good chance for the oline to be pretty good. I also think a healthy Chris Elmore can help pass block in certain sets from the RB position.
Good breakdown.

We need to stay healthy on the OL (no starters hurt) or at worse, only suffer one big injury. I think this is the biggest key to a successful season.

I think there is a big drop off from the 6th to 7th guy.

I expect Cruz is going to be the first guy to play if someone gets hurt. If it is an OG, Davis might move there and Cruz plays OT. If Vet gets hurt, I think we are really in a pickle.

Dino says Tisdale is ill. I think he has been out all preseason. Seems unlikely to be COVID if it has been going on almost a month. Maybe mono? Yes, he looked bad last year when he tried to play OT but I am sure he was playing hurt and I am sure he is better if he is healthy. He has the next most experience. Maybe we can get him back at some point this year.

This is a big year for Dakota. He has been banged up a lot over the past couple of years and you have to wonder if he is capable of staying healthy for an entire season.

What I want to see for 1st play is play-action cause Louisville will expect a heavy dose of Tucker. Draw the defense in then throw to one of the WR down the field for an 80-yard TD. Just like Penn State in '87.

Get the crowd going, shock them, get up quick and then do exactly as you said.
Well I want to see that as well. But...I don't want them to call that play. I don't like our chances of completing a long ball. I'd really like them to call a safe nice pass however to start with something positive and it be a pass play.

nobody fears our WR so they play tight and bump and the windows are always small. The best way to handle that is double moves and that is fine if the oline is actually able to hold blocks.

Lets see how the oline handles 4 guys rushing off the play action before we decide to take shots deep.

I hope the timing is better so the slants and short outs are thrown on time and we can remove some of the rush pressure.

Hope we start kicking their butts, then throw in an ill timed, poorly executed, on-sides kick.
Has SU ever recovered an on-sides kick in the Dino era?

(serious question...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom