The Orange Are Getting Back to Where They Should Be | Syracusefan.com

The Orange Are Getting Back to Where They Should Be

Greys GIF by ABC Network

Competing with Duke & UNC at the highest level.
This is in recruiting but soon it will happen on court as well.
Do you have a ranking of all teams? I'm curious if we're a top10 class at this point... And how many ACC teams also rank highly.

It seems there are 5 top 25 players and a handful of top100 players coming in already.

Last couple of years were really bad for the conference recruiting. Only Duke did really well.

Do you have a ranking of all teams? I'm curious if we're a top10 class at this point... And how many ACC teams also rank highly.

It seems there are 5 top 25 players and a handful of top100 players coming in already.

Last couple of years were really bad for the conference recruiting. Only Duke did really well.
247 has cuse at #7, but they also claim cuse has a 5 star recruit (although, both the composite and 247s own rankings dont show that) and they still have JB as head coach so take that with a grain of salt. Also they have UNC and Duke as the others ACC schools in the top 10

Have you heard of ACC 7 or so called Magnificent 7? It is the inner circle of ACC. They made a pack to move simultaneously either to B1G or SEC. Fifteen years ago, Syracuse would have been included in such a group. But because the extremely poor performance of our football program and some what average performance of our basketball program, we can not control our own fate. We are seen as the pieces that no P2 conference wants, such as Wake Forest and Boston College. We turn bad in the worse time as the next conference alignment is just about to begin. Also see a lot of posts by Rutgers fans who want to see Syracuse to be in the conference with BC, Wake, USF, Temple, Army, Memphis and East Carolina. I think we move to ACC to avoid that, but now we are facing the same problem. What can we do? First, Pittsburgh now spends more than us in athletic department. I say we need to spend more than Pittsburgh at least.

Last edited:
Have you heard of ACC 7 or so called Magnificent 7? It is the inner circle of ACC. They made a pack to move simultaneously either to B1G or SEC. Fifteen years ago, Syracuse would have been included in such a group. But because the extremely poor performance of our football program and so what average performance of our basketball program, we can not control our own fate. We are seen as the pieces that no P2 conference wants, such as Wake Forest and Boston College. We turn bad in the worse time as the next conference alignment is just about to begin. Also see a lot of posts by Rutgers fans who want to see Syracuse to be in the conference with BC, Wake, USF, Temple, Army, Memphis and East Carolina. I think we move to ACC to avoid that, but now we are facing the same problem. What can we do? First, Pittsburgh now spends more than us in athletic department. I say we need to spend more that Pittsburgh at least.

That 7 ended up being bluster.

Last week we were 7 according to 2 47. Rutgers was 2.

2 of our 3 best players last year were 3 star recruits. A guy who looked like he never played basketball before when he showed up here, and a guy who looked like he belonged in your lunch time Y run.

Now credit them and the staff - they worked hard and developed into pretty good college players by the time they were done.

But neither one of them gets a sniff from Syracuse a decade ago.

Early returns show that we’re quickly getting back to bringing in studs. Promising start for Autry!

Have you heard of ACC 7 or so called Magnificent 7? It is the inner circle of ACC. They made a pack to move simultaneously either to B1G or SEC. Fifteen years ago, Syracuse would have been included in such a group. But because the extremely poor performance of our football program and some what average performance of our basketball program, we can not control our own fate. We are seen as the pieces that no P2 conference wants, such as Wake Forest and Boston College. We turn bad in the worse time as the next conference alignment is just about to begin. Also see a lot of posts by Rutgers fans who want to see Syracuse to be in the conference with BC, Wake, USF, Temple, Army, Memphis and East Carolina. I think we move to ACC to avoid that, but now we are facing the same problem. What can we do? First, Pittsburgh now spends more than us in athletic department. I say we need to spend more than Pittsburgh at least.
I think that the door hasn’t closed yet totally. Both our sports need improvement but I think we can do it. If basketball can get back to where we belong and football can be a 8-4 or 9-3 team each year we can pull it off.

I think that the door hasn’t closed yet totally. Both our sports need improvement but I think we can do it. If basketball can get back to where we belong and football can be a 8-4 or 9-3 team each year we can pull it off.
But how much time left for us? It is very hard to make such a turnaround in a very short time.

Have you heard of ACC 7 or so called Magnificent 7?
sounds real enuf to me. tho the split caused bad blood among the remaining conference members. who can forget the showdown of the Magnificent 7 vs the bitter Hateful 8 ?

l_473241c7-5363-4228-b638-cc3229171aea.jpg

hqsqQyy2VVdv2FnvRNy018qnOn.jpg

sounds real enuf to me. tho the split caused bad blood among the remaining conference members. who can forget the showdown of the Magnificent 7 vs the bitter Hateful 8 ?

View attachment 227933

View attachment 227934
Lots of reports said that Louisville (the second biggest spender of ACC) has joined Magnificent Seven, so it is now called Magnificent Eight.

Last edited:
Lots of reported said that Louisville (the second biggest spender of ACC) has joined Magnificent Seven, so it is now called Magnificent Eight.
Why do I get the feeling that this thing isn't going to make it to 2036.

If conference realignment happens and we can keep football in whats left of the ACC but move hoops to the Big East that would be a dream scenario and better than what we have right now.

We still haven't played Miami in the Dome since joining.

If conference realignment happens and we can keep football in whats left of the ACC but move hoops to the Big East that would be a dream scenario and better than what we have right now.

We still haven't played Miami in the Dome since joining.
Syracuse will never go back to the big east. It’s just that simple. UConn only went back because they were always a terrible football brand and that cost them a ticket to anywhere. No matter the amount of revisionist history, remaining in the big east would’ve been a death sentence for Syracuse athletics as a whole. If Syracuse is left out of the next football conference cycle then a basketball home will be the least of the university’s worries.

View attachment 227933

View attachment 227934

Yeah, but nothing beats this trio.

Three Amigos GIF by Animal's House

For those young bucks in the audience who don't know this reference, grab yourself a couple edibles, drink of choice, and enjoy.

Syracuse will never go back to the big east. It’s just that simple. UConn only went back because they were always a terrible football brand and that cost them a ticket to anywhere. No matter the amount of revisionist history, remaining in the big east would’ve been a death sentence for Syracuse athletics as a whole. If Syracuse is left out of the next football conference cycle then a basketball home will be the least of the university’s worries.
I agree and the current ACC is a good fit. A new ACC would be fine for FB but not worth it for BB. I don't think they'd have the leverage to make us keep all of our programs in that league. The Big East had Temple as a FB only member.

The Big East going Catholic only until Uconn rejoined was the best thing to happen to them you can't carry programs like USF. Our Basketball program will die like Uconns temporarily did if we end up in a depleted ACC. FB would be fine IMO assuming the AD changed course on its policy of not scheduling any attractive OOC games in the Dome. Our recruiting wouldn't change our classes are ranked in the bottom 2-3 of the league now anyway every year and we'd probably enter a given year as 2nd or 3rd favorites to win the league like back in the Big East days.

Maybe not, but you have to admit that the Big East was more fun than the ACC and we had number of good in-conference rivalries (Georgetown, Villanova, Pittsburgh and St. John’s, perhaps Louisville and Boston College). In the ACC we really do not have any real strong rivalries even though Louisville and Pittsburgh are there.

I understand the reasons ($) why we are in the ACC but I really do miss the excitement of the Big East. I do know that there is no going back.

Maybe not, but you have to admit that the Big East was more fun than the ACC and we had number of good in-conference rivalries (Georgetown, Villanova, Pittsburgh and St. John’s, perhaps Louisville and Boston College). In the ACC we really do not have any real strong rivalries even though Louisville and Pittsburgh are there.

I understand the reasons ($) why we are in the ACC but I really do miss the excitement of the Big East. I do know that there is no going back.
It’s more fun because we grew up watching it, kids that grow up watching Syracuse play ACC schools will develop their own teams to hate, new rivalries will develop over time. Nostalgia is the only thing that makes big east basketball attractive to Syracuse.

Syracuse
UConn
Maryland
West Virginia
Pitt
BC

And at least 2 more of Penn State, Virginia Tech, Temple, Rutgers.

I hope somehow the whole thing collapses and they go back to doing leagues by geography. Because what’s happening now is madness.

It’s more fun because we grew up watching it, kids that grow up watching Syracuse play ACC schools will develop their own teams to hate, new rivalries will develop over time. Nostalgia is the only thing that makes big east basketball attractive to Syracuse.
The nostalgia of winning.

We have no rivalries because we’ve been rooted in the middle of the league standings for a decade and nobody really cares about us too much and Vice versa because we’ve never played many big games with anything on the line against anybody.

It was more fun because we were good and the teams we hated also hated us because the winner won the conference and the loser didn't. It may someday feel a little like that again if we can have that kind of impact in the ACC. The rivalries will likely never be quite the same though because the teams we want to have rivalries with already have long established rivalries with teams in their back yard that we'll never break into.

It was more fun because we were good and the teams we hated also hated us because the winner won the conference and the loser didn't. It may someday feel a little like that again if we can have that kind of impact in the ACC. The rivalries will likely never be quite the same though because the teams we want to have rivalries with already have long established rivalries with teams in their back yard that we'll never break into.
Yup. We’ll never be UNC or Duke’s rival.

It’s too bad Maryland left. 1990’s-2000’s SU and Maryland could’ve been a major rivalry if the teams were in the same league, and the potential would still exist if both programs were at their best and in the same league.