The Out of Bounds call... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Out of Bounds call...

So they reviewed something else? Sorry guys was at bar sans sound. The replays all showed Cooney (god bless the kid) had it without his foot on the line. What happened?

So they reviewed something else? Sorry guys was at bar sans sound. The replays all showed Cooney (god bless the kid) had it without his foot on the line. What happened?

All three announcers, everyone watching at home and probably all 3 refs (after going to the monitor) agree with you. They decided it was not a reviewable call.

I guess the difference is once you take a live play and blow it dead you've made a call that can't be reversed. Gonzaga may have trapped Cooney in the corner, he may have fallen out of bounds, etc. etc. By blowing it dead you've caused an unnatural break that can't be undone. When they review an out of bounds play, the ball has gone out, play has been whistled dead, they are simply trying to determine who touched it last. The call they made to give it to one team or the other happens with the ball dead.

All three announcers, everyone watching at home and probably all 3 refs (after going to the monitor) agree with you. They decided it was not a reviewable call.

I guess the difference is once you take a live play and blow it dead you've made a call that can't be reversed. Gonzaga may have trapped Cooney in the corner, he may have fallen out of bounds, etc. etc. By blowing it dead you've caused an unnatural break that can't be undone. When they review an out of bounds play, the ball has gone out, play has been whistled dead, they are simply trying to determine who touched it last. The call they made to give it to one team or the other happens with the ball dead.

My wife was quite offended by my frequent uttering of terms like "mother effer" and just just "effer". She was sympathetic, but did not agree with my constant employment of the terms and their variations.
After complaining about it with a bunch of f bombs my wife told me to shut the f.. up so she could hear what they were saying

This said it all...
CeceXhCWsAAG7BE.jpg

You know if you watch the replay... it's equally perplexing that there was no foul called on the manner in which contact was made with Trevor when he was so exquisitely toeing the baseline. Really dreadful demonstration of the shortcomings of the rules and officiating in NCAA basketball. The fact that the rules exist such that a wrong call, made from a perpective which isn't remotely qualified to view the essential elements upon which the call would be based is allowed to stand and as such, could potentially alter the entire outcome of the tournament much less a teams season.

It all would have been moot if the catatonic baseline ref had called the immediate foul the Zag player was attempting after Cooney stole the ball. He had one hand on his back while poking with the other one. The kid had to resort to hugging Cooney before the other ref made that out of bounds call from half court.

Obviously the ref has no business making that call from his position, but the rule needs to change. You should be able to review ANYTHING related to out of bounds in the final two minutes. It has to be conclusive anyway, so there's no true downside. Yes, you inadvertently whistled a play dead when they could have trapped him (but it was a foul in this case anyway), but obviously in the long run you'd rather give the right team the ball and take away a chance at a trap then to just award the ball to the other team on a blown call. Horrible rule as it currently stands.

Also, I was immediately saying we got screwed even if they gave us the ball back - spot inbound in the corner as opposed to being fouled - Gonzaga would have been gifted an opportunity to get a steal on the inbound even if they could have overturned it.

One really has to wonder how that call was even made. I don't like to believe that NCAA refs can be bought and sold but when I see something like this with the game on the line the bad part of me says it just doesn't make sense any other way. Especially with the additional non call on the obvious foul. Just wow. This team should not be calling any other game.

What was the ref's name BTW ?

This said it all...View attachment 58528

Thank ever loving sweet baby Jesus that this image isn't going to be one of the all-time icons of our screwed-dom in this tourney. The suplex, the over and back, Wallace's 5th foul, and so many others don't need company.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom