The QB situation | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The QB situation

People outside of the Syracuse football bubble can see that Dino is never going to let a fair competition happen. He is always protecting TD.
I believe people outside of Syracuse football bubble see that TD is our best QB option right now, and that there is a reason he has come out on top of the QB competition.

How do we know their not ready. We haven’t really seen JM play and not seen DM at all.
I do not care about offers. How do you play when you get on the field. There have been countless 4 and 5 star busts.
How do you know they aren't ready? You must be on the staff. Can you tell us Tuckers real 40 time? I'm sure you've timed him several times.
How do you know they are? Are you on the staff? Maybe the guys that ARE on the staff have an idea.

How do we know their not ready. We haven’t really seen JM play and not seen DM at all.
I do not care about offers. How do you play when you get on the field. There have been countless 4 and 5 star busts.
We know the QB’s weren’t quite ready because Dino said they weren’t ready. I mean they have barely had much time to learn what’s going on yet so who could blame them for not being ready. And it’s not like they came in Uber studs. How is it you think you know more than Dino? Pretty sure he’s has seen a lot more of what he can do than you have watching one drive. And yes obviously how you play on the field under pressure in the games is what matters. But so does practice. A guy can perform well in practice and fail in games because he’s not a gamer. But a QB can’t not do well in practices and be consistently good in games.

From what Dino has said it sounds like Morgan has not been consistent enough in practice so he wasn’t quite ready to anoint him the starter. Hence why he mentioned him fumbling snaps etc during practice. Dino has more to lose than any of us if his team doesn’t perform, how is it so many think he’s suddenly an idiot?

Yes his post game comments came across as pretty negative regarding Morgan at that moment that just happened to be after a very good series. Big deal. At that moment Dino was obviously still unsure about making a decision to move away from Rex and replacing him with Morgan. He knew he was going to get a bunch of negativity from fans Towards Rex and people yearning to see what Morgan has so he was stating the negatives regarding Morgan’s play. I’m sure he didn’t care much about what Morgan thought of what he was saying about him and really shouldn’t. He was protecting his current starting QB’s status. That is what a coach should do, defend his starting QB from all of the pitchforks. Morgan probably didn’t care either as I’m sure he know what has happened at practice and realizes why Dino said what he did. I’m sure privately Dino gave Morgan some props on his outing and is building his confidence as needed.

We have heard some posters state that they have heard some good things about Morgan’s potential so maybe it’s not completely surprising to us or Dino that things went well in a small sample size. I still trust Dino is going to play who he thinks will win us games and he should know that better than any of us. Who knows, maybe Morgan is just starting to correct the little mistakes and he gets more opportunities. His performance Saturday certainly didn’t hurt him.

And regarding letting Morgan throw the ball against Clemson, it’s got to be a lot easier for a coach to let a back-up QB do that when the team is winning, the offense is performing and you bring in the back-up to finish a game. Not much risk of a fan revolt if he happens to do well in that situation. But if he gets in after a dismal offensive performance and does well for a series, while that is great news for all of us Cuse fans, the fans second guessing everything is what results.

We alI hope Dino decides to give Morgan some run this week. That would mean he’s improving significantly and should hopefully give us all a little more optimism that something better and new is on the horizon.

Last edited:
I believe people outside of Syracuse football bubble see that TD is our best QB option right now, and that there is a reason he has come out on top of the QB competition.
I was referring to a prospective transfer and the people who world be advising him.

How do you know they aren't ready? You must be on the staff. Can you tell us Tuckers real 40 time? I'm sure you've timed him several times.

genius level stuff here gentleman. I am sure we will see both get some solid reps at some point.

Last edited:
How do you know they are? Are you on the staff? Maybe the guys that ARE on the staff have an idea.
I didn't say that they are ready so don't imply that I did. I simply asked if he were on the staff and knew something or if that was just an opinion.

genius level stuff here gentleman. I am sure we will see both get some solid reps at some point.
I hope you are right. I would like to see what we have for the future. I feel bad for those seniors that will not be coming back and going out like this. They had a lot to deal with this year (virus, new OC/DC, huge amount of injuries)

I didn't say that they are ready so don't imply that I did. I simply asked if he were on the staff and knew something or if that was just an opinion.
Your clearly sarcastic question says implies it for me.

Dino needs to bring in a lefty dual threat QB and a righty dual threat QB. Then we can have two QBs in at the same time. If the snap goes to the lefty he rolls left and runs or passes. If the snap goes to the righty he rolls right. You eliminate the need for a pocket. If the D goes all out pressure on one side, the QB throws a lateral to the other QB who went the opposite direction. He can then run or throw. This is the future.

Dino needs to bring in a lefty dual threat QB and a righty dual threat QB. Then we can have two QBs in at the same time. If the snap goes to the lefty he rolls left and runs or passes. If the snap goes to the righty he rolls right. You eliminate the need for a pocket. If the D goes all out pressure on one side, the QB throws a lateral to the other QB who went the opposite direction. He can then run or throw. This is the future.
4798F31C-2AEE-4A07-905B-A0F7A3DC9424.jpeg

And as dual threats they should be athletic enough to be recievers. They can go out into the pattern after they lateral. It's perfect.

It's the modern version of SWC's two tailback system.

Now close your eyes and imagine if both guys could punt. Ok, now open them. The world didn't explode.

When he put TD in during the WMu game instead of leaving ED in the game to score 60+ points and set the tone for the season, I was angry. Then Ed had to beg his way back in the game, fight the WMU team and win the game again. People on this board said that he needed to get under control. Total BS.

Indeed, I mean without that experience we might have lost vs FSU when ED went down - or then vs UNC when ED got bailed out from a sub par outing. This pitting the two against each other with Dino secretly rooting for TD is the hottest of garbage. The clearest explanation for the success of the that season is that both of them were needed and both mostly came through while Dino tried to play the players that gave us the best chance to win.

Full. F. Stop.

And as dual threats they should be athletic enough to be recievers. They can go out into the pattern after they lateral. It's perfect.
I have advocated for more two “QB” sets for a long time.

With Devito it's not arm talent...its field presence...thats something he'll have to overcome nomatter where he plays...

Was Ed really un
Indeed, I mean without that experience we might have lost vs FSU when ED went down - or then vs UNC when ED got bailed out from a sub par outing. This pitting the two against each other with Dino secretly rooting for TD is the hottest of garbage. The clearest explanation for the success of the that season is that both of them were needed and both mostly came through while Dino tried to play the players that gave us the best chance to win.

Full. F. Stop.
Don't try to block a punt when your offense is running over the top of the opposing D. Not needed and the momentum went to UNC. FSU, Meh.

Was Ed really un
Don't try to block a punt when your offense is running over the top of the opposing D. Not needed and the momentum went to UNC. FSU, Meh.

lol

There is nothing funny with the state of the Syracuse football program.
He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't laughing at the state of the Syracuse football program.