The reality of defense in today's game | Syracusefan.com

The reality of defense in today's game

billsin01

All American
So I, like everyone, was pulling my hair out watching NC State bomb away from three last night. But the interesting thing -- while everyone goes crazy about the zone or whatever else -- is that, by the numbers, we're pretty solid defensively. Even after that bludgeoning last night, we remain in the top 1/3 of college programs defensively against the three (113 overall, 33.6% shooting against, sixth in the ACC) and still really good against field goals overall (7th in the nation in FG% defense, 39.2).

What's more, even though we're sixth in the ACC on 3-point shooting defense, opponents are shooting at a .336 clip against us, which is less than 2% higher than Louisville, which is second in the conference.

Anyway, obviously the numbers could be better. Don't really see it as a matter of man vs. Zone. But regardless, I think the reality of defense now is there are going to be nights where teams do one of two things -- 1. go nuts from three and hit deep and/or contested threes (Graham and Huerter come to mind) or 2. they run really good sets, execute well and create some open looks. Happens to pretty much every team not named UVA.

So on those nights you need to be able to win a game that may turn into a shootout. As much as we focus on those corner threes and the frustration that creates, still believe we just need to add a more dangerous offense to what is a solid defensive scheme. Just my humble opinion.

You win some, you lose some. Sans the open looks, they did what the defense is supposed to do. Force the opponent to rely on the three because they can't get other looks. They fell tonight. Against Virginia Tech, they couldn't hit water in an ocean.

So I, like everyone, was pulling my hair out watching NC State bomb away from three last night. But the interesting thing -- while everyone goes crazy about the zone or whatever else -- is that, by the numbers, we're pretty solid defensively. Even after that bludgeoning last night, we remain in the top 1/3 of college programs defensively against the three (113 overall, 33.6% shooting against, sixth in the ACC) and still really good against field goals overall (7th in the nation in FG% defense, 39.2).

We're in the top third!!

I feel like we could finish top 1/3 with shorter guards with better handles and a shooter or something on the roster. :)

j/k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom