The Reason We Are Not #1... | Syracusefan.com

The Reason We Are Not #1...

newmexicuse

All Conference
has nothing to do with whether or not pollsters really think Kentucky is better than us. It simply has to do with the fact that we suffered our loss after they suffered their loss. Had our loss occurred early, we would have been #2 & then, if they took a loss, we would have jumped them in the polls & stayed #1 as long as we kept on winning.

It's just the nature of how the polls work, it is not a real reflection of who thinks they are better than us or vice versa.

The reason we are not #1 is because there can't be two #1's without one being #3.

:confused:

I think everyone realizes this. Well, everyone except for the UK beat writer linked in today's articles who uses the polls as one of his arguments why UK should be the overall #1.
Although most people do seem to think they are better anyway...

It's all about the Burger Boys. They have 6. We have 3.

I prefer my formula:

Experience + Better Conference = #1. That's my position. I'll stick with it until I'm ready to change.

It's all about the Burger Boys. They have 6. We have 3.

I prefer my formula:

Experience + Better Conference = #1. That's my position. I'll stick with it until I'm ready to change.
There is really very little doubt that they have more raw talent than we do. That doesn't mean that D + depth + experience won't make us > as a team. Only time will tell.

This is similar to my claim that if a team was 25-0 and ranked first..and then lost a game the next week, they would drop to number two in the poll even if the number two team were 22-3..but won the next week.

And the reason I'm not the older brother is because my brother was born first.

It really doesn't matter either way. The only thing that matters is who is #1 in April.

Kentucky was ranked ahead of us in the pre-season.

Since both teams have 1 loss, it makes sense that UK would be ahead of us now.

Agree with the original post had our loss came before UK's we would be number 1 right now.
Heck had Fab not sat out we could have been number one almost all season. :D

If I had picked the correct lottery numbers I'd be rich.

Agree with the original post had our loss came before UK's we would be number 1 right now.
Heck had Fab not sat out we could have been number one almost all season. :D

This is one thing that annoys me a little. Ohio State got a complete pass when Sullinger was injured and they lost. The headlines were that Sullinger was out, and oh, by the way, Ohio State lost. They still had a lot of number one votes after their loss. With us, it was all Notre Dame storming the court. We still have two devoted fans in the media, but every other vote shrank up instantly, even without Melo.

Nobody seems to mention that we had probably the worst game to lose our biggest man. Cooley is a good player, but he dominated our two light weight back ups and that wouldn't have happened against Melo. When a 270 pound man pushes on a 215 pound man, it just doesn't look as much like a foul as when he pushes a guy his own size. The second half of the game was a terrible half for Syracuse rebounding. Cooley was most of that, with 6 offensive rebounds and 17 points. Melo would have blocked a couple and prevented a couple of those rebounds, and Syracuse comes all the way back. Who knows if the amazing barrage of threes would have happened in the first half with Melo there, but the second half when we were coming back, Cooley was able to beat up our skinny guys and win the game for ND almost single handedly.

In all three games where Melo was out, we were absolutely dominated inside. Most of us thought that Christmas and Keita were decent players who could help in the middle, these games proved us wrong.

Syracuse is undefeated with Melo and would be undefeated if Melo had been suspended a game later. Not many media members (and aside from a thread a few days ago, none of them) have noticed that our most important player was out for that game.

ALso the team Syracuse lost to got wrecked by the team Kentucky lost to and the transitive property of sports is somehow relevant

lol, transitive property of sports. I am not sure if the networks will pick that up, but a very good phrase.

99% of the people in America outside Syracuse think UK would crush us. It's a fact, read it on UK's board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom