The sharpshooters are pretty dull | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The sharpshooters are pretty dull

The pressure on him ? He’s usually just being guarded closely by the other point. It just seems like extreme pressure because Joe is unable to just go by the dude which would immediately lead to his defender backing off him

Well, everybody is grabbing him on almost every possession, too.
If they called half of those, he'd be averaging over 25 points a game.

They're not getting enough movement off the ball. And the constant pressure on Joe bringing the ball up court is hindering how quickly we can get into our offense. That means fewer passes, and faster decisions to take shot opportunities. I think pressure defense and the lack of a solid ball handler is preventing them from getting more open shots.
Nova did not pressure Joe.

Just to preface my comments... this is not meant to bash Buddy (not at all). It's really more of curiosity than anything else. During the Brown game, and really every game, commentators talk about Jimmy going to the NBA and how much of a great shooter he is. Yes, he has a beautiful stroke and yes, he's being guarded more closely this year. However, you can't get away from the bottom line... he's a 30% shooter from 3pt and only a 36% so far in his career. How is that elite? How does that translate to the NBA? Do the commentators not look at the stats? Can they not get away from the fact that he's the coaches son? He certainly deserved the nickname Buddy Buckets for what he did in the latter portion of last season. However, it really doesn't make sense this year or align with his stats.

Just to preface my comments... this is not meant to bash Buddy (not at all). It's really more of curiosity than anything else. During the Brown game, and really every game, commentators talk about Jimmy going to the NBA and how much of a great shooter he is. Yes, he has a beautiful stroke and yes, he's being guarded more closely this year. However, you can't get away from the bottom line... he's a 30% shooter from 3pt and only a 36% so far in his career. How is that elite? How does that translate to the NBA? Do the commentators not look at the stats? Can they not get away from the fact that he's the coaches son? He certainly deserved the nickname Buddy Buckets for what he did in the latter portion of last season. However, it really doesn't make sense this year or align with his stats.
He shot 38% and 39% the last two years. He wouldn’t be an ISO scorer in the pros. Austin Reaves shot 30% in college and he’s knocking down shots for the Lakers. I don’t believe shooting percentage tells the entire story. You have to take account the players role.

He shot 38% and 39% the last two years. He wouldn’t be an ISO scorer in the pros. Austin Reaves shot 30% in college and he’s knocking down shots for the Lakers. I don’t believe shooting percentage tells the entire story. You have to take account the players role.
Freshman year was 35% followed by 37% and 38% and currently 31% (overall 36% thus far). I agree that shooting percentage doesn't necessarily tell the entire story, but it certainly tells you a lot.

yeah as a complimentary sharp shooter, itd be different. he'd help space the floor for the star players and i am curious what his % is on wide open 3s...I bet its pretty high. he just doesnt get many for syracuse. most of his 3s in nba would likely be of the wide open variety (theoretically)...which would be a different story for sure.

imagine him on the bucks or sixers...embiid or giannis need players like him to thrive...but that doesnt mean he will actually play in the nba...its just about fit and I could see him fitting in a situation like that.

at the end of the xay...do you really think any team at any level of the game is gonna leave him open to shoot? that in itself is valuable.

Freshman year was 35% followed by 37% and 38% and currently 31% (overall 36% thus far). I agree that shooting percentage doesn't necessarily tell the entire story, but it certainly tells you a lot.
You’re banking him on shooting 31% the rest of the year?

Other teams have scouted us and if they have the athletes will take Buddy and Cole out of their game by not helping on defense...it's not rocket science. The ACC other then Duke is down this year but having a winning record is gonna be tough given our limitations.

Other teams have scouted us and if they have the athletes will take Buddy and Cole out of their game by not helping on defense...it's not rocket science. The ACC other then Duke is down this year but having a winning record is gonna be tough given our limitations.
Not saying any game will be easy for this year's Orange, but have you seen the rest of the ACC?It is more like the AAC.

C0058C28-F395-49C8-9ADD-ECB6AC49BD1E.jpeg

yeah as a complimentary sharp shooter, itd be different. he'd help space the floor for the star players and i am curious what his % is on wide open 3s...I bet its pretty high. he just doesnt get many for syracuse. most of his 3s in nba would likely be of the wide open variety (theoretically)...which would be a different story for sure.

Actually, I think he has a leg injury. He hasn't been making the wide open ones, either, with the frequency we are accustomed to. His lift isn't that high, and his shot has looked a little flat to me.

I couldn’t care any less about the NBA if it was my full time job. I enjoy watching Buddy play. The kid is a scoring machine. Yeah yeah teams have scouted us and all this BS people spout. Like they hadn’t scouted him last year or the year before. He has some ups and downs with his 3 point percentage but he’s always had long stretches of the season where he’s an elite scorer, regardless of competition or scouting. Like every player who is not a top 10 in the world type, he can be limited by matchups, defensive strategy, an off night, etc. what do you expect?

I’d suggest you enjoy watching him play. He’s a helluva a college ball player.

Well it's now 1/22/22 and our two sharpshooters are a combined 86-252 from 3 pt land for a whopping 34%. Which is exactly the national average for everyone. Cole can rebound, but all the rest of their combined basketball skills are way below average. Well, we could put two average 6'7" P5 players out on the court and be a better team. Defensively, ball handling etc. we would be better off. Ok I'll listen to the excuses.

They're not getting enough movement off the ball. And the constant pressure on Joe bringing the ball up court is hindering how quickly we can get into our offense. That means fewer passes, and faster decisions to take shot opportunities. I think pressure defense and the lack of a solid ball handler is preventing them from getting more open shots.
100000000%

Said that this was the problem last year, and this team we all knew would be worse at moving the ball. This shouldn’t be surprising to anyone.

Well it's now 1/22/22 and our two sharpshooters are a combined 86-252 from 3 pt land for a whopping 34%. Which is exactly the national average for everyone. Cole can rebound, but all the rest of their combined basketball skills are way below average. Well, we could put two average 6'7" P5 players out on the court and be a better team. Defensively, ball handling etc. we would be better off. Ok I'll listen to the excuses.
Run. It. Back.

Who recruited Cole originally? I’m not seeing it at all.

I don’t think Cole is a good rebounder at all, does he get a bunch, sure, but they are the most effortless rebounds I’ve ever seen from a forward here, it’s like there by default because of his position in the zone and Jesse is out in a corner somewhere. Anyone plays his spot and they’ll have the same or more rebounds has him. He’s awful all around, the first strong rebound in traffic he makes in traffic will be his first.

I don’t think Cole is a good rebounder at all, does he get a bunch, sure, but they are the most effortless rebounds I’ve ever seen from a forward here, it’s like there by default because of his position in the zone and Jesse is out in a corner somewhere. Anyone plays his spot and they’ll have the same or more rebounds has him. He’s awful all around, the first strong rebound in traffic he makes in traffic will be his first.
He should have been working with Devo in the off-season learning to get by a defender with the dribble. He’s so soft though.

Last edited:
He should have been working with Devo in the off-season lear to get by a defender with the dribble. He’s so soft though.
Cole isn’t capable to get by anyone let alone on a dribble. If he hasn’t gotten it by now chances are he won’t. He’s a spot up shooter and literally that’s it; if he’s asked to do something else that’s 100% on the staff. Jay Wright understood that Jim Boeheim obviously doesn’t.

He should have been working with Devo in the off-season lear to get by a defender with the dribble. He’s so soft though.

I know that people don't do this much anymore, but Cole seems like a guy who needs to get into a fist fight, or take boxing lessons or something like that. Sometimes being punched in the mouth teaches you something about yourself.

I'm glad that I had a handful of fistfights as a young kid. I was a small kid with a smart mouth who could run like hell, and once in while, you had to fight back or else get your ass kicked.

That's how I grew up, anyway; tough neighborhood, you take your licks and you learn to give some back. And, anyway, my dad was a Marine, so he sure as hell didn't want to hear that I didn't hit the other kid back.

Good training for a lawyer, now that I look back on it! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom