The sharpshooters are pretty dull | Syracusefan.com

The sharpshooters are pretty dull

they need to shoog more 3s than opponents

only 1 out of 7 games so far has this happened - inexplicably

they pass up a lot of looks - especially cole

no ones blocking a 6'9" 3

Buddy and Cole are shooting 30% and 28% from 3. On a team shooting 38%. Hard to believe. That has to change quickly.

on the bright side its only 7 games, %s could go up. Just scored about 95 in regulation against a team from the B1G. Jesse scoring inside will help too
200.gif

no ones blocking a 6'9" 3
I thought the same, but you sure wouldn't know that based on Coles reaction every time a guy came at him when he got the ball. He'd notice the guy closing in and was very gun shy, doing a little pump and when the defender didn't bite he looked to pass. He just doesn't get off the floor well imo.

On the other hand, JG3 is shooting 53% from three after 7 games.

Which brings up a question that I have. At the end of the second half, with .9 seconds left, JG3 got the ball at the far end of the court and heaved up a full-court shot that came up shorte. Does that count against his three-point percentage?

Last edited:
On the other hand, JG3 is shooting __% from three.

Which brings up a question that I have. At the end of the second half, with .9 seconds left, JG3 got the ball at the far end of the court and heaved up a full-court shot that came up shorte. Doe that count against his three-point percentage?

It is up to the scorekeeper. Joe’s heave should not count. Two dribbles and a heave from half court might count.

Cole's arc is barely above the square on the backboard, about 3+1/2 feet short let alone 1+1/2. Jimmys is at the shotclock. It was higher than the backboard at Nova.

Last edited:
Buddy struggled from 3 early last year too. I know people point to Covid as the reason (rightfully so) but I think we will see a similar bounce back

Well there are a lot of excuses here but the fact of the matter is that our whole offense is based on those two getting and making 3 pointers. It opens up everything and will lead to easier shots for Jesse and Jimmy. Its obvious that we have to outscore everyone we play because our defense is really bad. We have to have those 2 make shots, we are 4-3 even though others are playing well. They've been getting a free pass.

On the other hand, JG3 is shooting 53% from three after 7 games.

Which brings up a question that I have. At the end of the second half, with .9 seconds left, JG3 got the ball at the far end of the court and heaved up a full-court shot that came up shorte. Doe that count against his three-point percentage?

If a defender hit him while he shot and JG3 now shoots 3, sure.

Buddy and Cole are shooting 30% and 28% from 3. On a team shooting 38%. Hard to believe. That has to change quickly.
Cole just isn’t shooting well and needs to get better. Period.

Buddy’s pct is down this year because he taking more difficult shots and is playing a ton of minutes, which is killing his form, because the team needs him to. I don’t expect it to climb much.

The great benefactor of all this is Joe, as he is getting a ton of open looks. Hence the 51% 3pt pct.

In 10 years, some stat mongers will look back at Buddy’s numbers and say he wasn’t that good of a shooter..,and that Joe was better.

Context matters.

I'm not counting on Cole to be Steph V.2 at all. He has some intensity to him that can benefit the team in several ways as his game becomes more refined this winter. We need that all way more than some % guarantee.

Buddy’s 3 point shooting stats to start the season his first
3 years.

10 games in 18-19: 6-22 for 27.5% and finished at 36%
8 games in 19-20: 21-71 for 29.5% and finished at 37%
11 games in 20-21: 22-80 for 27.5% and finished at 38%

It's not hard to notice after re-watching the game footage. Against Arizona State where Cole shot well, the entire ball reaches a peak around 3+1/2 feet higher outside the foul line area.

They're not getting enough movement off the ball. And the constant pressure on Joe bringing the ball up court is hindering how quickly we can get into our offense. That means fewer passes, and faster decisions to take shot opportunities. I think pressure defense and the lack of a solid ball handler is preventing them from getting more open shots.

Bump. We have no chance when these two shoot the ball this poorly. We are built to be a perimeter team and these guys are laying bricks.

3 years.

Never a “great” shooter. A streaky one.

There's no one to get the shooters open shots.
We have to be the only team in CBB that cannot scheme jumpshots ina jump shooting world with a team of jump shooters. Novas PG wasn’t penetrating any better…

3 years.

That’s freaking eerie.

They're not getting enough movement off the ball. And the constant pressure on Joe bringing the ball up court is hindering how quickly we can get into our offense. That means fewer passes, and faster decisions to take shot opportunities. I think pressure defense and the lack of a solid ball handler is preventing them from getting more open shots.
The pressure on him ? He’s usually just being guarded closely by the other point. It just seems like extreme pressure because Joe is unable to just go by the dude which would immediately lead to his defender backing off him

Cole just isn’t shooting well and needs to get better. Period.

Buddy’s pct is down this year because he taking more difficult shots and is playing a ton of minutes, which is killing his form, because the team needs him to. I don’t expect it to climb much.

The great benefactor of all this is Joe, as he is getting a ton of open looks. Hence the 51% 3pt pct.

In 10 years, some stat mongers will look back at Buddy’s numbers and say he wasn’t that good of a shooter..,and that Joe was better.

Context matters.
You don’t think Buddy was taking difficult shots last season, especially at the end of the season and in the tourney? Defenders were all over him. Buddy can and will shoot it better. He’s not going to continue to shoot less than 30% from 3. JB and staff also need to stop with the endless iso and run some $@“*% plays and off ball screening actions. The coaches need to help the players get easier shots.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom