The sleeping giant has awoken | Syracusefan.com

The sleeping giant has awoken

I've said it elsewhere, but I'll say it again here:

We beat a team that went 3-15 in BE play by 12, and that included hitting two free throws to make it that final margin. We did not hold one lead in the entire first half. It was a single digit game with about 8 minutes to go. We needed one of our best offensive performances in quite awhile just to get to that final margin.

Let's not get carried away here. It was nice to win, and it's a nice momentum builder, but beating Seton Hall by 12 does not exactly equate to a sleeping giant waking up. Let's try to temper things just a tad.

seton hall couldnt miss the first 10 minutes of the game, we outscored them by 20+ the last 30 minutes.

On top of that, they hit a couple of garbage 3's near the end of the game that really had no right to go in the basket

seton hall shot 21-41 overall and 10-20 from three.

this team required overtime to get to 40 pts yesterday.

any ball washing over our offensive performance must be done in the context of a sac punching performance our defense pulled today.

seton hall shot 21-41 overall and 10-20 from three.

this team required overtime to get to 40 pts yesterday.

any ball washing over our offensive performance must be done in the context of a sac punching performance our defense pulled today.
Seton Hall scored 63 points.

It's nice when you beat a bad team.

Even better when you beat a good team... Let's do that now... We've been snakebitten at that of late...

We beat a team that went 3-15 in BE play by 12, and that included hitting two free throws to make it that final margin. We did not hold one lead in the entire first half. It was a single digit game with about 8 minutes to go. We needed one of our best offensive performances in quite awhile just to get to that final margin.

Let's not get carried away here. It was nice to win, and it's a nice momentum builder, but beating Seton Hall by 12 does not exactly equate to a sleeping giant waking up. Let's try to temper things just a tad.
Did you catch the first half? SHU couldn't miss.

Did you catch the first half? SHU couldn't miss.
Yes I did. And so? We didn't exactly play stellar defense, either. All I'm saying is, this feels an awful lot like people watching us roll Wagner and Monmouth and thinking we were the best team in America.

Yes I did. And so? We didn't exactly play stellar defense, either. All I'm saying is, this feels an awful lot like people watching us roll Wagner and Monmouth and thinking we were the best team in America.
Whatever

why shouldn't people get excited. this is exactly what we needed to see. Our offense finally showed signs of life. Do you actually think were going to continue to shoot as awful as we have been. We needed Triche and Southerland, and the team for the most part to get their confidence back. That's exactly what happened. Who cares we only won by 10 or so our key player showed signs of snapping out of his funk. This game was very important imo

Whatever
Well reasoned response.

Bottom line is Seton Hall is a really bad team, and we had to have a late surge to win going away, and even then it was by only 12 points.

Let's see what we can do against Pitt before we start talking about sleeping giants.

Well reasoned response.

Bottom line is Seton Hall is a really bad team, and we had to have a late surge to win going away, and even then it was by only 12 points.

Let's see what we can do against Pitt before we start talking about sleeping giants.
You leave me nothing to respond to. It's a broken record.

The guys have been getting open all year and missing quite often the past 6 weeks, today they didn't.

I'll be looking for them to impose their will on Pitt in stretches throughout tomorrow's game. I don't even care if they pull out the win to be honest. Can they force bad shots late in the shot clock on D, and then get out in transition? Shoot under pressure, move the ball and take good shots against a good D? If so, then I will get more excited.

Yeah Seton Hall Blows - with that said we need James and Brandon to be able to shoot from the outside. If they get hot in this tournament anything can happen. With there being no more tomorrow in a sense I would hope they would come out just wanting to play one more game. Basketball is a simple game - whether its a pickup game where you stay on as long as you can until your legs or a better opponent takes you off the court or college hoops - its just about playing the game. Our 34-2 team put up a stinker the last time they played in this tourney - why not this group? All the years we have made a run in the BE tourney since the NC have come off of various levels of dissapointment in the regular season where we thought things were doom and gloom. Why not aye?

No disrespect to anyone on the board, but what are we 'discussing' here?
How quality the win was?

In the post season, it doesn't matter! Win and advance; no more "this is a true test" etc.

It's a W and I'll take it any day over the opposite result. It does not matter who it was, how crappy they are, who they are missing, the refs, and all of that other stuff.

Can we all learn to appreciate the good? Everyone, say it with me "WE WON".

SUball

How quality the win was?

In the post season, it doesn't matter! Win and advance; no more "this is a true test" etc.

It's a W and I'll take it any day over the opposite result. It does not matter who it was, how crappy they are, who they are missing, the refs, and all of that other stuff.

SUball
Okay, now that is an idea I can get behind.

SHU may be a bad team, but they were hitting almost every 3 pointer they heaved up today, even some desperation heaves near the end of the game that really had no right to be going in the basket.
Fortunately, our shooters, mainly Triche and Southerland, were hitting the open shots they've been missing as of late.
Hopefully this game gets them confidence in their shot again and out of the funk they've been in.

How quality the win was?

SUball

you would think this wouldn't need to be explained...

How quality the win was?

SUball

Ditto - lot of positives from today's game if you ask me. Only negative was sluggish play in first half, but when doesn't SU get off to a slow start?

I wouldn't say awaken yet...perhaps stirring. I guarantee Pitt or any team in the tournament is looking forward to playing SU, especially with the offense looking better, particularly the seniors.

What is there, a maximum of three games left for us in BET? If Triche and Southerland can play at least two more good games, maybe SU can get a three-seed and a decent draw. After that, if they can play at least three more good games and get to the elite eight, that would be great for this team and I'd be pretty happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom