The Syracuse Zone Saturday Was Not The Famous Syracuse Zone We All Know | Syracusefan.com

The Syracuse Zone Saturday Was Not The Famous Syracuse Zone We All Know

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Watched some highlights of Saturday's loss to Virginia and the thing that stood out to me was how far off we played the perimeter shooters. Even the close outs were tired and non threatening. When facing decent 3-point shooters that's a recipe for disaster.

It was like a practice session for guys like Anderson (season average 31%), Perrantes (39%)and Rogers (60%) .

Much has been said about our guys having weary legs it was no more evident than in that aspect of the defense where the Cavs shot 8 for 16 for 50% a team that normally shots 37% from distance.

Recently BC also shot 50% going 11 for 22.

Another area that shows tired legs is rebounding where we normally hold a 3 rebound advantage, 34.9 to 31.6. Saturday Virginia held a 39 to 29 advantage on the boards. Of course it didn't help that our season leader, Jerami Grant, who averages 6.7 RPG, was limited to 13 minutes and 1 rebound.

Now that our aspirations of winning the regular season ACC title are gone I hope JB lets my three sons give the regulars some much needed rest. This probably won't happen as the next goal is to get the highest possible seed in the NCAA's. We have three guaranteed games to do that.

As Roseannadanna would say, "If it's not one thing, it's another!"

Here's a look back at how the other ACC teams fared from three point range this season going backwards in the schedule

Maryland 8-22 36.4%

Duke 7-21 33.3%

BC 11-22 50%

NC St 4-14 28.6%

Pitt 6-19 31.6%

Clemson 5-15 33.3%

UND 6-18 33.3%

Duke15-36 41.7%

Wake 3-20 15%

Miami 9-17 52.9%

Pitt 5-14 35.7%

BC 9-21 42.9%

UNC 2-12 16.7%

VPI 7-24 29.2%

Miami 7-19 36.8%

Last edited:
I'd gotten my hopes up that the long down period between games would lead to better energy on Saturday.

Hopes were dashed; those guys were still tired. The defense up top is unlike anything we've seen since 2009. They know where to be, but they're not getting there quickly. As for the rebounding, those struggles are more common. Still frustrating, though.

Tired yes, but they were cutting us up inside better than any team this year. With Grant out JB's answer seemed to be to pack it in down low, which left the perimeter somewhat open. You pick your poison and he tends to usually play the percentages that the shooters won't stay that hot. It's worked in the past, but not Saturday.

I expected some dropoff in our perimeter defense, losing big guards like MCW and Triche. But it has been a season long issue--our perimeter defense this year just hasn't been good enough.

IMO it was no coincidence that we hung even for 30 minutes and then collapsed the last 10. Weary legs. Our jump shots starting clanging, defenders were gassed. If you look at the minutes played none of the UVa key players played more than 31-33 minutes and Bennett shuttles his subs in and out every few minutes giving guys a blow. CJ and Ennis have been playing 40 minutes every game for weeks. It's not surprising our stretch drive play has fallen off.

Yeah, this team has some issues.

I think JB should not play Grant until the ACC tournament. I think Ennis should not play more than 30 minutes. Time for Silent G and Roberson to get some serious playing time. I would even like to see Paterson get some minutes for Cooney if Cooney is going 1 for 12.

When Virginia went up 52-44 I thought we gave up. Very similar to the game at Georgetown last year. We missed a few shots and our effort on defense wasn't there.

When Virginia went up 52-44 I thought we gave up. Very similar to the game at Georgetown last year. We missed a few shots and our effort on defense wasn't there.

I think that there is some validity to that. The last few minutes the team was playing like they were resigned to their fate and going through the motions, which is uncharacteristic of how this team has played all season long.

It was definitely noticeable.

Cusefan0307 said:
right around that time Ennis made a drive to the hoop to cut a 4 pt lead to 2. He picked up his 4th on a charge. UVA then hit a 3 to go up 7 if I recall. That was it

I expected some dropoff in our perimeter defense, losing big guards like MCW and Triche. But it has been a season long issue--our perimeter defense this year just hasn't been good enough.

Correct. It's been poor all year, again, as I was saying months ago at the start of the season. Too much penetration allowed and then overplaying the ball when it gets inside.

IMO it was no coincidence that we hung even for 30 minutes and then collapsed the last 10. Weary legs. Our jump shots starting clanging, defenders were gassed. If you look at the minutes played none of the UVa key players played more than 31-33 minutes and Bennett shuttles his subs in and out every few minutes giving guys a blow. CJ and Ennis have been playing 40 minutes every game for weeks. It's not surprising our stretch drive play has fallen off.

But players don't get tired!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom