the talent issue was not the difference | Syracusefan.com

the talent issue was not the difference

upperdeck

Living Legend
for all the first half issues there were really only 1-2 plays that had anything to do with talent. So many mistakes by the DBs that were just the same bad mistakes they made against NW. A couple plays in the whole half where we were out talented by the clemson offense. the biggest talent play the whole game was the long td pass where Watkins just ran right by the corner and pulled away.

for all the first half issues there were really only 1-2 plays that had anything to do with talent. So many mistakes by the DBs that were just the same bad mistakes they made against NW. A couple plays in the whole half where we were out talented by the clemson offense. the biggest talent play the whole game was the long td pass where Watkins just ran right by the corner and pulled away.

Well I have to re watch the game but our DBs are still back peddling and by the time they turn and run they are already behind the WR. Why can't our coaches train them to back peddle less and turn and run sooner especially Anderson & Wilkes...their footwork gets them out of position in my view.

The whole game was a talent missmatch. Watkins just outran our DB on that one TD. Why? Because he was MORE TALENTED. He had superior speed and athleticism. Our front 7 just got pushed around all day. Clemson is just a well oiled machine. Yea, we gave Clemson some points with boneheaded plays but even without those mistakes it was clear Clemson was the superior team.

upsets dont happen unless your prepared properly -

Strongly disagree. We were out-talented right from the beginning. Our passing game had zero chance because nobody could get open and because their DL put a lot of pressure on Hunt. That's talent. We had 7 points at halftime...talent.

The 91 yard TD play was insane. The Clemson WR was still a few yards in front of the DB when he threw the ball. It's like Boyd just threw it as far as he could and let the WR run under it. The foot race wasn't even close.
That was the backbreaker. We showed some life in the 3rd quarter and were knocking on the door of somewhat making it a game...until that play happened.

The talent differences at QB, WR and DL were quite obvious today.

The last time I saw pitch and catch that easy against us in the Dome, Santana Moss and Reggie Wayne were the WRs.
I was thinking Miami while reading this thread.

STOP!! Clemson is loaded with 5* talent and first and second round NFL draft picks. SU might be lucky to have 1 guy on this roster get drafted period...in the late rounds. Clemson won on talent alone today.

This thread reminds me of the Montana board after their ncaa 1st round loss. Lot of the same sentiments. Which is kind of depressing me.

i am more concerned about why the D failed considering the offense managed to run for 300 yds even without a passing game

The whole game was a talent missmatch. Watkins just outran our DB on that one TD. Why? Because he was MORE TALENTED. He had superior speed and athleticism. Our front 7 just got pushed around all day. Clemson is just a well oiled machine. Yea, we gave Clemson some points with boneheaded plays but even without those mistakes it was clear Clemson was the superior team.
Agreed, the talent disparity creates bonehead plays by the inferior team. It's the same way in bball when we play Rutgers - we ask ourselves why a 20% 3 pt shooting team attempts 30+ 3's.

not sure the D line got pushed around . mid 4th quarter clemson had like 25 rushes for 75 yds.. the speed issue showed up at times. but really most of the big killer plays were just bonehead coverage issues

I sort of agree. It looked like we were playing zone while rushing 7 sometimes. On a few of their long pass plays, the CBs acted like they expected help from the safeties over the top, but the safeties were jumping short routes. I'm sure Chad Morris noticed something when he was studying film and we simply were out coached from the get go. I don't think our staff put our players in the best position to win today on either side of the ball.

I still can't understand how R. Anderson starts. I said this a few weeks ago. that if I was Clemson I would be licking my chops. Well we see what happened to him again once again on pass coverage. Let the younger kids play, they cannot be any worse than he is in pass coverage.

I sort of agree. It looked like we were playing zone while rushing 7 sometimes. On a few of their long pass plays, the CBs acted like they expected help from the safeties over the top, but the safeties were jumping short routes. I'm sure Chad Morris noticed something when he was studying film and we simply were out coached from the get go. I don't think our staff put our players in the best position to win today on either side of the ball.
i know the coaches wont say whats going on, but someone or sometwo are messing those places up..
the first td. watkins goes in motion, the safety jumps up when he circles around and the DB hands the wr off and breaks off short.. noone home.. the same person was open multiple times early. was the corner supposed to stay on the wr or the safety supposed to stay deep.

i know the coaches wont say whats going on, but someone or sometwo are messing those places up..
the first td. watkins goes in motion, the safety jumps up when he circles around and the DB hands the wr off and breaks off short.. noone home.. the same person was open multiple times early. was the corner supposed to stay on the wr or the safety supposed to stay deep.

There should never be a play where the WR splits the CB and the S while they both look like they're stuck in quicksand, literally shuffling their feet in place while their indecision is palpable through the TV set. Our secondary was completely unprepared for what the Clemson offense was throwing at them.

Yeah, Clemson is better than us at literally every position on the field. What can you do?
Shafer brought a slingshot to an atomic war. It's unfair to assess his coaching based on a matchup like this. The offsides and false starts happen because no one can beat the man in front of them - preparation goes out the window once the players sense they are overwhelmed.

There was certainly a talent difference but there were blown coverages, too. Nobody should be open by 20 yards.

And really, other than the battle of the receivers and D-backs, (both of which we lost big), we did pretty well. The talent diference was in that one area. But obviously, that's a pretty important area.