The time has come to actually talk Cuse football | Syracusefan.com

The time has come to actually talk Cuse football

IHeartSUFball

All Conference
No more silly pants threads... There will be football practice day 1 played and while we only get a few limited opinions on what transpires the countdown to the psu game has gotten real!

Are they at Fort Drum today or does that start this coming weekend? I thought maybe I read the 10th.

Not open to anyone, including the media, right?

Here are some questions I have:

1. What happens on the right side of the line?

Left tackle to center will be very good, but the right side looks like it could be pretty shaky.

2. Can we generate pass rush from the defensive end position?

I'm not optimistic about this one to be honest.

3. If we can't generate pass rush from the ends, are the linebackers and secondary good enough to compensate?

I think they will be against most teams.

4. How do the carries get split up between the running backs?

An abundance of talent at that position is a new luxury for us. Let's see how the staff manages it. I think we've got a handful of really dynamic guys there.

5. Who steps up at wide receiver?

I've always been a Kobena believer, and am hoping to see Cornelius show some flashes and snowball in to something that catches fire.

6. Can special teams continue to improve?

I think we have enough kicking talent and depth at all positions to field better st units than we've, uhm, enjoyed watching the past few seasons.

7. How different are the new OC and DC scheme wise from what we've been watching?

It could be all new for all we know.

I know that the pistol is going to be involved. As much as I'm trying, I can't get the visions out of my head the last time we used the pistol. It wasn't pretty.

Like everyone else, I expect our running game to be dynamic. I am hopeful that we are able to use that to open up the passing game. Last year the offense played great up tempo with a solid running game without a real deep passing game. This year I am hopeful that we will be able to stretch the field more. More big plays, and not retract into a power running game trying to control the clock.

Here are some questions I have:

1. What happens on the right side of the line?

Left tackle to center will be very good, but the right side looks like it could be pretty shaky.

2. Can we generate pass rush from the defensive end position?

I'm not optimistic about this one to be honest.

3. If we can't generate pass rush from the ends, are the linebackers and secondary good enough to compensate?

I think they will be against most teams.

4. How do the carries get split up between the running backs?

An abundance of talent at that position is a new luxury for us. Let's see how the staff manages it. I think we've got a handful of really dynamic guys there.

5. Who steps up at wide receiver?

I've always been a Kobena believer, and am hoping to see Cornelius show some flashes and snowball in to something that catches fire.

6. Can special teams continue to improve?

I think we have enough kicking talent and depth at all positions to field better st units than we've, uhm, enjoyed watching the past few seasons.

7. How different are the new OC and DC scheme wise from what we've been watching?

It could be all new for all we know.

I have similar questions, although to me the bigger question mark is the DE spot. Even more so than the right side of the line. Maybe Cohen and Mink could take a hint from this and write actual articles addressing these issues. That may be too much to ask though. Not enough hits to discuss actual football matters.

I have similar questions, although to me the bigger question mark is the DE spot. Even more so than the right side of the line. Maybe Cohen and Mink could take a hint from this and write actual articles addressing these issues. That may be too much to ask though. Not enough hits to discuss actual football matters.

Cohen and Mink: "Syracuse might play without DEnds this season, as nobody would be better than who they have...in my football opinion."

Like everyone else, I expect our running game to be dynamic. I am hopeful that we are able to use that to open up the passing game. Last year the offense played great up tempo with a solid running game without a real deep passing game. This year I am hopeful that we will be able to stretch the field more. More big plays, and not retract into a power running game trying to control the clock.

Last year's O was dynamic because of the pace and precision of the short and intermediate passing game, combined with Nassib's ability to read coverages, make quick decisions, and get the ball where it needed to be. The O line did their part in pass protection (this was also huge), which forced teams to play honest in the box and/or walk LBs off to take away slants. That is what opened up the run game. From there, I am sure the goal was to use play action to open up the deep passing game - this was not Nassib's strength and, ultimately, it was not a huge factor.

The point I'm trying to make is, the running game, despite the depth and talent at RB, will NOT be dynamic this year without at least the threat of the short and intermediate passing, IMO.

Last year's O was dynamic because of the pace and precision of the short and intermediate passing game, combined with Nassib's ability to read coverages, make quick decisions, and get the ball where it needed to be. The O line did their part in pass protection (this was also huge), which forced teams to play honest in the box and/or walk LBs off to take away slants. That is what opened up the run game. From there, I am sure the goal was to use play action to open up the deep passing game - this was not Nassib's strength and, ultimately, it was not a huge factor.

The point I'm trying to make is, the running game, despite the depth and talent at RB, will NOT be dynamic this year without at least the threat of the short and intermediate passing, IMO.
Exactly.

From what i can cipher from player quotes, I think we might see significantly more attempts to stretch the field under McDonald. Hopefully, it's not at the expense of the short and intermediate passing game.

Come on man, let's not get ridiculous.

It's going to be 13-0.

You're probably right. I was trying to think of or potential title game opponents and got lazy/bored so thought "well we might lose if it's Bama or somebody".

Biggest concern I have is with the OL. If they aren't effective, then it doesn't matter who wins the QB job, how the RB carries are split, or what WR develops.

I feel that QB pressure can be generated in different ways and trust HCSS and his ability to design successful blitz schemes. You can't hide poor OL play other than keeping a TE and/or RB in to block and I think that would limit the ability of this team to move the ball.

The starting right tackle (Foy) was beat out by Trudo for the starting guard job last year. The right side of the line has to be a huge concern. Maybe Knapp can push Foy we'll see. Also, what happens at DE. Ron Thompson is a stud athlete that's probably a big part of his move to DE. Can he make an impact? Also, where do Trejo and Marona fit in the DE rotation.

I'm just not as worried about the O line as some of Y'all are for this year. I really like the young talent we have most not highly regarded in hs but then again neither was Justin. I do think O line is a real concern in the future if we don't recruit several good bodies there this year however.