The Tragedy of Acting Like You've Been There Before | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Tragedy of Acting Like You've Been There Before

So my son who is 13 and a rabid fan because of me is starting to get the semi-swear bug. I rarely swear in his presence and often sound like the dad on a Christmas Story. As he has gotten older however (especially during SU sporting events) a word or two has slipped out.

Well when Soulaimon hit the shot to tie I hear him yell "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuk" and he gives a double middle finger salute towards the court. Part of me wanted to strangle him and part of me wanted to hug him. Without making a scene I leaned over and in his ear "discussed" what the heck did you just say/do, why you dont do that and to never ever do it again.

After we very briefly chatted I had to bite my lip otherwise he would have seen me laughing.

Kids.
I'm calling child protective services.

Going forward, let’s not worry about looking “small time” or not “acting like we’ve been there before.” Who cares how others perceive us? And if you DO care, then just know that being all self-conscious and worried about how you look to someone else is probably the least flattering attribute you can have.

Here’s a thought experiment: What if we stormed the court after EVERY win? After Duke, Notre Dame, Cornell, Marathon Oil. Whoever. I’m not suggesting we do that, but I’d be fine with it. And so would every recruit who ever looked at Syracuse. They’d say, “They party after EVERY win. It’s crazy! I want to play here.” And eventually that would just be our thing. And if we had a really big win, it would just be even more intense.

We’d get made fun of by UConn, Georgetown, and Duke fans. But you have to understand that’s 99.9% motivated by jealousy. It’s why late-night monologues make fun of celebrities, not handicapped people.

Again, I’m not saying that’s a good idea. I’m saying the strength of a fanbase should be measured by how much they don’t give a shi* about what others think about them. In individuals this trait is called high self-esteem.

When other fans say, “I can’t believe they printed a t-shirt for [whatever]! We would never do that.” I say, “Yup. And you won’t get 35,000 at a game either. Obviously we have two very different fanbases, so it probably doesn’t serve you well to compare them.” Hell, we can print t-shirts that only appeal to a niche market within the fanbase, because it’s so large. Our baseline level of fan excitement and interaction dwarfs 98% of other programs. I don’t own any of the t-shirts people have issues with, but you know what t-shirt I would love? One that they print up at half-time of a game that says, “6-point lead at halftime.” Celebrate everything. I don’t care, I think it’s great.

I don’t understand why on earth we’d ever want to suppress excitement for this team, this program, and this school – regardless of the form it comes in. I don’t see anything noble about playing it cool. “B-b-b-b-but what if Uconn makes fun of us?” so what? Your response to them should be, “Huh? Oh sorry, I wasn’t paying attention to what you were saying. I was admiring this new beer koozie I bought commemorating that sweet dunk.”

Act like you’ve been there before? That’s what the crowd did last night. Sat on their hands and waited to be impressed. That’s no way to go through a basketball game. Or to go through life, for that matter. Appreciate everything. Over-respond to everything. Whether it’s an SU-win or your wife making you dinner. I promise things are much more enjoyable that way.

So don’t act like you’ve been there before. Because the fact of the matter is, you haven’t been in this moment before. And there’s no guarantees it will ever be this good again.

Thanks for such a remarkable post!

Living in the moment is truly the holy grail for happiness, which you've seemingly conquered if you indeed live your life this way.

FWIW, I read an interesting book several years ago that made me aware of just how much one's thought (process) and attention they give to it can impact their existence. The book's name is: 'You Can Be Happy No Matter What' by Richard Carlson. I found it to be a very interesting read and have tried to implement its principles into my life. We as human beings all seek happiness, a big obstacle to that is by not living in the moment. So, just as you've brought to light, each and every one of us has never been in this precise moment before (or ever again for that matter)...just LIVE it, and, embrace it.

Thanks for such a remarkable post!

Living in the moment is truly the holy grail for happiness, which you've seemingly conquered if you indeed live your life this way.

FWIW, I read an interesting book several years ago that made me aware of just how much one's thought (process) and attention they give to it can impact their existence. The book's name is: 'You Can Be Happy No Matter What' by Richard Carlson. I found it to be a very interesting read and have tried to implement its principles into my life. We as human beings all seek happiness, a big obstacle to that is by not living in the moment. So, just as you've brought to light, each and every one of us has never been in this precise moment before (or ever again for that matter)...just LIVE it, and, embrace it.

Another good one is The Four Agreements. Toltec wisdom. Good stuff. The second agreement is "Don't take anything personally." Of course, then that would ruin the board! So, I would modify that to say, "If you want to take something personally, do it with tongue in cheek." I was mad about the Len Elmore comments last night, so I started a thread. It's fun to talk about. But all of us know it's a first world problem.

Well, drinking copious amounts of alcohol is one of my passions(especially when I know I'm going to be on here), but my doctor warned me of the potential consequences. I suppose that's one of those 50/50 calls.
Doctors don't know everything.

So my son who is 13 and a rabid fan because of me is starting to get the semi-swear bug. I rarely swear in his presence and often sound like the dad on a Christmas Story. As he has gotten older however (especially during SU sporting events) a word or two has slipped out.

Well when Soulaimon hit the shot to tie I hear him yell "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuk" and he gives a double middle finger salute towards the court. Part of me wanted to strangle him and part of me wanted to hug him. Without making a scene I leaned over and in his ear "discussed" what the heck did you just say/do, why you dont do that and to never ever do it again.

After we very briefly chatted I had to bite my lip otherwise he would have seen me laughing.

Kids.

13? my dad told a story when i was 5 years old he took me to the park to play baseball, apparently i didnt want to leave because when it was time to go i stood at home plate and yelled "motherf'er" over and over. i really wish i remember that, 1 of my proudest moments.

Great post Charco. Let's keep this mindset when SU finally loses a game. Perspective.

And oh yeah, since Cuse fans always show up well at away games, they should storm the court there too, and REALLY piss off the opponent.

I'm glad this post struck a chord with some of you. Thanks for the kind words.

Hopefully I'll run into some of you at a game sometime down the line.

I'll be the one in this shirt.

FQ7W0Cu.png
That shirt needs to happen, EXACTLY as displayed here.

NailstheCusefan12 said:
Since we once stole the stand and clap thing, let's steal this tradition. Can you imagine if 35,000 fans were dead silent until SU made the first field goal? YouTube Video

That is way better than the stand and clap.

Great post Charco. Let's keep this mindset when SU finally loses a game. Perspective.

And oh yeah, since Cuse fans always show up well at away games, they should storm the court there too, and REALLY piss off the opponent.

OMG I just spit my ice tea all over...storm the away court WOW that would get the talking heads talking

OO44

I'm down with cutting down the nets every game.
Would be so awesome if we brought a ladder out on the court after we beat Clemson Sunday night. Social media would explode. Haha

How about we hang a banner up in the rafters after every win. Gonna need a lot more rafter space!

Here's another thought: If you act like a dork, don't be surprised when people treat you like one. :noidea:

I wouldn't be storming the court after every game, but this was a well thought post and your comment is ridiculous. It's not surprising that you posted it, but still ridiculous.

I love that this thread has evolved into ridiculous ways to celebrate the team.

All these ideas are grade-A idiotic, but I think they do point out that over-celebration is vastly superior to "act like you've been there before." Because if you take that idea to the extreme, you have a fan who -- after his team wins the national championship -- stands up from his stadium seat, brushes off the nacho crumbs, and heads for the exit.

And I'd wholeheartedly endorse any of these awful ideas mentioned. Storming the court at half-time? Brilliant. We'd be the lead story on ESPN that night and have half a million new fans the next day. We'd be to fanbases what FGCU was to basketball teams for a week last spring -- completely unpredictable and entertaining.

Opposing coaches would have to prep their teams for any possibility, "Guys, be aware, anything can happen here. They used to stand and clap, now they chant the c-word in unison until the 69th basket is made. They gave Boeheim a gatorade shower at the first tv-timeout. Remember when our fans wore the black t-shirts and had a "Blackout" game? These fans had a nude-out last week. During half-time of the Duke game, everyone chipped in $10 and they gave the duke mascot $350,000 to drop out of school and enroll at Syracuse and cheer SU in the blue devil costume for the second half. They're going to show intercepted sexts from your phone on the jumbotron, it's just what they do, be ready for that. Their cheerleaders are in nun's habits. They have a 6-minute call and response cheer that is a scene from According to Jim. They did the wave and a had a guy actually surf it. And during football games they jingle their keys."

All these ideas are grade-A idiotic, but I think they do point out that over-celebration is vastly superior to "act like you've been there before." Because if you take that idea to the extreme, you have a fan who -- after his team wins the national championship -- stands up from his stadium seat, brushes off the nacho crumbs, and heads for the exit.

And I'd wholeheartedly endorse any of these awful ideas mentioned. Storming the court at half-time? Brilliant. We'd be the lead story on ESPN that night and have half a million new fans the next day. We'd be to fanbases what FGCU was to basketball teams for a week last spring -- completely unpredictable and entertaining.

Opposing coaches would have to prep their teams for any possibility, "Guys, be aware, anything can happen here. They used to stand and clap, now they chant the c-word in unison until the 69th basket is made. They gave Boeheim a gatorade shower at the first tv-timeout. Remember when our fans wore the black t-shirts and had a "Blackout" game? These fans had a nude-out last week. During half-time of the Duke game, everyone chipped in $10 and they gave the duke mascot $350,000 to drop out of school and enroll at Syracuse and cheer SU in the blue devil costume for the second half. They're going to show intercepted s e x ts from your phone on the jumbotron, it's just what they do, be ready for that. Their cheerleaders are in nun's habits. They have a 6-minute call and response cheer that is a scene from According to Jim. They did the wave and a had a guy actually surf it. And during football games they jingle their keys."

You are awesome!

The problem with storming the court is that it routs the players from the court. I'd prefer after a big win that the fans maybe surround the court and the coaches and players make the rounds, acknowledging their cheers. The band could play the fight song over and over again or some of their other pieces. It could be like when Wisconsin plays the budweiser song after football games.

Awesome post, obviously there's been some (albeit awesome) exaggeration on this thread, but the point still remains that the whole point of sports is entertainment. Only 1 team out of hundreds ends the season on a high note, and while we have a decent shot at it, it doesn't mean we can't enjoy this season regardless of the end result.

I remember a few years ago watching SU vs ND in football while at el compadre (for those of you in Los Angeles) downing margaritas. Once we beat them in their own stadium my buddy and I promptly went out and got a case of the high life to celebrate. Just appreciate the great moments, even if they are surrounded by a not-so-good season

Charco said:

Opposing coaches would have to prep their teams for any possibility, "Guys, be aware, anything can happen here. They used to stand and clap, now they chant the c-word in unison until the 69th basket is made. They gave Boeheim a gatorade shower at the first tv-timeout. Remember when our fans wore the black t-shirts and had a "Blackout" game? These fans had a nude-out last week. During half-time of the Duke game, everyone chipped in $10 and they gave the duke mascot $350,000 to drop out of school and enroll at Syracuse and cheer SU in the blue devil costume for the second half. They're going to show intercepted s e x ts from your phone on the jumbotron, it's just what they do, be ready for that. Their cheerleaders are in nun's habits. They have a 6-minute call and response cheer that is a scene from According to Jim. They did the wave and a had a guy actually surf it. And during football games they jingle their keys."

Post more in general, please. This is hilarious. Laughing out loud on the train like a crazy person.

"Guys, at half time, some guy shotguns 12 pbrs, starts swinging his shirt over his head while dancing to the song 'remember the name' by Fort Minor, as Otto surfs throw the crowd like an orange getting washed around the sand by the ocean tide. His name? Marsh."

I wouldn't be storming the court after every game, but this was a well thought post and your comment is ridiculous. It's not surprising that you posted it, but still ridiculous.

It was just a random comment, neither inconsistent with the thread, nor aimed at anyone in particular. However, you may take it directly. Now, where's that ignore button ... ah, there it is. Excellent. See ya :)

It was just a random comment, neither inconsistent with the thread, nor aimed at anyone in particular. However, you may take it directly. Now, where's that ignore button ... ah, there it is. Excellent. See ya :)

Lol. Woo hoo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom