The transfer portal | Syracusefan.com

The transfer portal

Yeah, it's not like you couldn't field a winning lineup if you kept some pieces from last year and committed to having a couple of the current starters as depth guys. And you still get both kids on the team for a fun little send off. :(
I don’t dislike any player on this year’s team. But, maybe 2 of them should be starting on a normal Syracuse team.

Looking back we probably could’ve used it more effectively.

Thoughts?
I completely disagree. I think this is the baseline for what we can expect, solid contributors, rarely will supetstars enter the portal for any reason.

Will there be exceptions? Sure. But people thinking that we're going to remediate all of the issues by landing a few blue chip portal transfers are deluding themselves.

I don’t dislike any player on this year’s team. But, maybe 2 of them should be starting on a normal Syracuse team.
Respectfully disagree - & suggest maybe 1.

I completely disagree. I think this is the baseline for what we can expect, solid contributors, rarely will supetstars enter the portal for any reason.

Will there be exceptions? Sure. But people thinking that we're going to remediate all of the issues by landing a few blue chip portal transfers are deluding themselves.
All I would hope for our players who can run, dribble and shoot, play man defense, not pass to the other team, and have the ability to drive by at least one player on the other team

What Wake has done with Williams and LaRavia is probably the ceiling at a high major when your two best players are first year transfers. You can go from bad to good but not bad to title contenders.

That is probably our best case scenario if JB isn't here next year. If he is I have no idea what happens.

Last edited:
What Wake has done with Williams and LaRavia is probably the ceiling at a high major when your two best players are first year transfers. You can go from bad to good but not bad to title contenders.

That is probably our best case scenario is JB isn't here next year. If he is I have no idea what happens.

Not to mention, no transfer who is program changing caliber is going to want to come here, and be the third fiddle behind the coach's two kids.

I had reservations at the time about bringing in JB3. But I guess that was inevitable.

I'm not saying we should have tried to land the next Wes Johnson, but maybe...let's just say different role players.

Huh? Baylor has built their championship program on transfers recently. Gonzaga has mined the transfer portal for a number of key guys over several years now. Even Seton Hall has added key pieces, including KR and Aiken, through the transfer portal. Beard and Texas got 5 top 50 transfers from the portal. I’m completely confused about this take, RF.

Last edited:
Huh? Baylor has built their championship program on transfers recently. Gonzaga has mined the transfer portal for a number of key guys over several years now. Even Seton Hall has added key pieces, including KR and Aiken, through the transfer portal. I’m completely confused about this take, RF.
80% of Auburn's minutes came from the portal. They're doing ok.

Huh? Baylor has built their championship program on transfers recently. Gonzaga has mined the transfer portal for a number of key guys over several years now. Even Seton Hall has added key pieces, including KR and Aiken, through the transfer portal. I’m completely confused about this take, RF.

Baylor brings in guys who fit their program, and play them.

We use a limited rotation, and right now the offense is structured around the coach's two sons. Not sure what blue chip transfer would want to come here to be third in the pecking order.

We use a limited rotation, and right now the offense is structured around the coach's two sons. Not sure what blue chip transfer would want to come here to be third in the pecking order.
Seriously, there are only so many City Rock guys in the portal at any given time.

Oh, I see. You’re talking about if Boeheim (and both of his sons) all return. Yea, that would be Daddyball again. How do you think we’d do in the portal if only JB returns? How about if Autry takes over as head coach? Do you think him, Griff, Gmac and a top notch recruiter can bring in some key guys from the portal? I’m wondering what people think.

Last edited:
Oh, I see. You’re talking about if Boeheim (and both of his sons) all return. Yea, that would be Daddyball again. How do you think we’d do in the portal if only JB returns? How about if Autry takes over as head coach? Do you think him, Griff, Gmac and a top notch recruiter can bring in some key guys from the portal?

Yeah, to further clarify -- the transfer portal is a new means of recruiting / amassing talent.

We can't ignore it, we have to use it strategically to enhance what we have on the roster and improve the talent pool. But I see posts suggesting that all we need to do is land a stud transfer, and our problems go away.

I think the vast majority of transfers are going to be like the guys we brought in last year -- for example, Swider, who is a decent starter, but not a difference maker / someone who elevates the team to the next level.

I'd love for the transfer portal to be an "easy button" to solve what ails, and for this down year to be just an outlier, but in actuality what we're seeing this year is the culmination of a multi-year decline, several years of roster mismanagement, and some key misses on the recruiting trail.

If there's a Wes Johnson we can add -- that would be great. Problem is, I don't know if anyone like that would actually come here. Our program lacks buzz, and the negative recruiting against us is only going to continue until the band-aid is ripped off.

Buddy's been here for four years and Jimmy was the last guy to join the team. Both are seniors and have confirmed that this is their last year, despite Covid. I don't see how they are responsible for our not getting good players from the transfer portal.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom