The Upside - Georgia Tech | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Georgia Tech

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Kyle McCord is the best passer we’ve ever had here. Best quarterback? He’ll be in the debate. But he’s the best passer for sure. He sees the whole field, spots open guys quickly and has a strong accurate arm and a very quick release. That will make him very hard to sack. He’s no runner but he found that internal Haynes King for that one play. And he’s poised, confident leader. He also spreads the ball around and gets everyone involved. He’s going to put Heisman numbers. We’ll see if that gets him to New York, (because others will put up Heisman numbers, too), the Heisman winner won’t have numbers any better than Kyle McCord. I was reading SI’s college football preview at halftime and during time outs. There’s a long article about how Ohio State became the powerhouse they will be this year. McCord is not mentioned but there was this line: “Whoever plays Ohio State QB won’t have to do anything heroic for Ohio State to win.” Imagine if they still had Kyle McCord.

- I kept thinking ahead to next year. I don’t thin we have anyone on the roster who is going to be “the next Kyle MCord”. But what might happen is that the success he has here will make the Dome a destination the top QBs in the portal might look for. We could become QBU!

- Last week the defense was the big concern. If Ohio U. ran for 255 yards on them, what would Georgia Tech do? Georgia Tech ran for 112 yards, 67 of them from their remarkable QB, Haynes King, 47 of them on two plays.

- Two great signs of good coaching are improvement and adjustment. The improvement of our rushing defense was one. The adjustment on the place kicks to close the A-gap hole that was responsible for both blocks to get us the field goal that wound up being the winning margin was another. There are also strategical adjustments. Tech made some adjustments of their own to cover our receivers more closely and put more pressure on the QB. We responded by focusing on the running game and short passes and rolling McCord out on a couple of plays. He also improvised that run for the big first down that was doubtless his favorite play of the game.

- Jeff Nixon is surely the best OC we've had here. He uses the whole roster and everyone on the field, making the other team cover the whole field. He uses a lot of creative formations and plays and has knack for picking the right play at the right time. He doesn't fall into ruts where he does the same things over and over.

- Darrell Royal, (or Woody Hayes or whoever), used to say that there are three things that can happen when you pass and two of them are bad. It’s actually three of four: incompletion, interception and a sack. In two games we’ve given up 1 sack, threw one interception and completed 69% of our passes. McCord is a lot of that but the big uglies up from have to get some credit, too. We’re giving our star a chance to be one.

- Oronde Gadsden sure has a chance to be one. He’s in heaven. He’s on pace for 78/1206/18 and a high draft pick.

- So is Trebor Pena, who is on pace for 72/996/24. 24!

- Another star is LeQuint Allen, who again ran for some tough yards, 83 of them in 15 carries. His 24 yard burst effectively clinched and ended the game. Before that it was 59 in 14 carries. He’s on pace for a 1,086 yard season but none of it is easy. That doesn’t stop him from getting the yards he needs to get.

- Then there is Fadil Diggs, who has 13 tackles, 2 sacks and 4 other TFLs in two games. I don’t see Dwight Freeney there but Diggs moves around the defense, looking for openings. The other team has to account for him on every play.

- We are going to be 4-0 for the third straight year. The previous two years we wound up 7-6 and 6-7. But this feels different.

- Watching these other game, I don’t find myself rooting for future opponents to lose so it becomes easier to imagine SU beating them. I find myself rooting for them to win so it will mean more when we beat them.

Last edited:
- Kyle McCord is the best passer we’ve ever had here. Best quarterback? He’ll be in the debate. But he’s the best passer for sure. He sees the whole field, spots open guys quickly and has a strong accurate arm and a very quick release. That will make him very hard to sack. He’s no runner but he found that internal Haynes King for that one play. And he’s poised, confident leader. He also spreads the ball around and gets everyone involved. He’s going to put Heisman numbers. We’ll see if that gets him to New York, (because others will put up Heisman numbers, too), the Heisman winner won’t have numbers any better than Kyle McCord. I was reading SI’s college football preview at halftime and during time outs. There’s a long article about how Ohio State became the powerhouse they will be this year. McCord is not mentioned but there was this line: “Whoever plays Ohio State QB won’t have to do anything heroic for Ohio State to win.” Imagine if they still had Kyle McCord.

- I kept thinking ahead to next year. I don’t thin we have anyone on the roster who is going to be “the next Kyle MCord”. But what might happen is that the success he has here will make the Dome a destination the top QBs in the portal might look for. We could become QBU!

- Last week the defense was the big concern. If Ohio U. ran for 255 yards on them, what would Georgia Tech do? Georgia Tech ran for 112 yards, 67 of them from their remarkable QB, Haynes King, 47 of them on two plays.

- Two great signs of good coaching are improvement and adjustment. The improvement of our rushing defense was one. The adjustment on the place kicks to close the A-gap hole that was responsible for both blocks to get us the field goal that wound up being the winning margin was another. There are also strategical adjustments. Tech made some adjustments of their own to cover our receivers more closely and put more pressure on the QB. We responded by focusing on the running game and short passes and rolling McCord out on a couple of plays. He also improvised that run for the big first down that was doubtless his favorite play of the game.

- Darrell Royal, (or Woody Hayes or whoever), used to say that there are three things that can happen when you pass and two of them are bad. It’s actually three of four: incompletion, interception and a sack. In two games we’ve given up 1 sack, threw one interception and completed 69% of our passes. McCord is a lot of that but the big uglies up from have to get some credit, too. We’re giving our star a chance to be one.

- Oronde Gadsden sure has a chance to be one. He’s in heaven. He’s on pace for 78/1206/18 and a high draft pick.

- Another star is LeQuint Allen, who again ran for some tough yards, 83 of them in 15 carries. His 24 yard burst effectively clinched and ended the game. Before that it was 59 in 14 carries. He’s on pace for a 1,086 yard season but none of it is easy. That doesn’t stop him from getting the yards he needs to get.

- Then there is Fadil Diggs, who has 13 tackles, 2 sacks and 4 other TFLs in two games. I don’t see Dwight Freeney there but Diggs moves around the defense, looking for openings. The other team has to account for him on every play.

- We are going to be 4-0 for the third straight year. The previous two years we wound up 7-6 and 6-7. But this feels different.

- Watching these other game, I don’t find myself rooting for future opponents to lose so it becomes easier to imagine SU beating them. I find myself rooting for them to win so it will mean more when we beat them.
Great post as usual Steve, right there with you. And there is something about these coaches and Fran. They just feel different than anyone since Coach P and Deleone left.

Si attributed that pass quote to Woody Hayes, way back when. I think of it from time to time, when someone puts up 388 yards passing, say.

The o line looked great but didn’t Tech enter the game with one sack all year? They got one more today despite some blitzes

I think one of the biggest upsides to yesterday's game was the offense getting first downs in the final possession in order to run out the clock instead of the usual scenario where they go 3 and out and punt and we hoping the defense comes up big to stop a tying or winning score. That 3rd and 10 completion to OG was huge and did wonders to help bring my blood pressure back down a bit.

- Jeff Nixon is surely the best OC we've had here. He uses the whole roster and everyone on the field, making the other team cover the whole field. He uses a lot of creative formations and plays and has knack for picking the right play at the right time. He doesn't fall into ruts where he does the same things over and over.

I'm happy to see the upsides back, SWC. Great summary! A few of my thoughts...

- Kyle McCord is the best passer we’ve ever had here. Best quarterback? He’ll be in the debate. But he’s the best passer for sure.
Yep, completely agree. I was also one who thought we couldn't afford to have a pocket passer only with our offense and lack of a solid o line. Boy I was wrong and glad I am!! With the weapons we have and the o line giving him time, this will be a fun season to watch!

I love your enthusiam and optimism, SWC. Not sure about the Dome being a destination for top QBs or us becoming QBU but it certainly does show other QBs who we will be recruiting that they too can be very successful here. That's important!

I didn't post anything last week about this, but I thought we were going to get killed on defense because of what you stated above. Glad to be very wrong again! I love being wrong when it works to our favor! :)

Agree 100%

Yep, and that's why we will be hard to defend. I love it!!

No kidding, give the big uglies a LOT of credit. It's definitely a team effort... coaching, offensive weapons, o-line, and elite QB play.

These two guys are so fun to watch. Before this year, I didn't think Pena was that special. Once again, wrong again I am. See a trend happening here?

I don't want to get ahead of ourselves but yeah, it looks and feels VERY different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan.Oversl

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom