The view from here | Syracusefan.com

The view from here

SWC75

Bored Historian
With disclaimer that this was one game, played in August against a Colgate-level team, here are my player observations of tonight's game.

Returning Players

The centers- DuJuan Coleman, Rakeem Christimas and Baye Moussa Keita, looked much as they did last year, (of course, "last year" is five months ago). Coleman keeps the ball too low and tried to bully his way past players. He also commits too many fouls. He did hit a smooth-looking jump shot but that's not what I'm looking for from a center. DC rebounded well when he was in there. it was another "it's hard to play against smaller players" thing, which I've never completely understood. I always thought it was better to be taller in basketball. But you have to learn to take advantage of your size and our guys still haven't done so.

CJ Fair and Jeremy Grant will be as good a pair of forwards as you will see in college basketball this year. CJ was unstoppable until he suffered what looks to be a minor and temporary injury. Jeremy was all over the court, hitting jump shots, driving to the basket, rebounding and making smart plays like bouncing a ball off an opponent while falling out of bounds. He's clearly over mono and is anxious to play after having to watch the under 19 tournament. It's going to be fun to watch these two guys tear up defenses this season.

Cooney looked for most of the game exactly the way the looked last year, playing tentatively and short-arming his jump shots. Late in the game he got a break-away dunk and scored again inside and then managed to down a couple of threes. Will that get him going? Who knows? He may be a back-court version of Ethan Cole- great in practice but freezes up in games. Most of tongiht he didn't look as if he'd start for McGill.

The New Guys

Tyler Roberson and Chinoso Obokoh were not along on the trip for academic reasons.

The most important new guy, Tyler Ennis, was impressive. He looks tall- taller than the 6-2 he's listed, (but McGill was not blessed with height). He showed every skill you'd want from a point guard but played intelligently and calmly and under control. he doesn't try to do too much as MCW did at times last year. He just keeps everything running smoothly, tries to get the most out of everybody and takes advantage of his own opportunities when they come. He had enough confidence to drill a 25 footer and JB was seen nodding his head in appreciation afterwards. I'm still a little bit worried about what seems to me a rather high dribble. But MCW had one, too.

Michael Gbinije is an "Alice's Restaurant" player- you can get anything you want. He's tall. He can handle the ball, pass it, score inside or out, rebound and play defense. He may not be fabulous at any one of those things but he can do all of them.

He, Patterson and Cooney all took turns playing the point when Ennis was on the bench. We will have a "back up point guard by committee" this year. And barring an injury or early foul trouble, (unusual for a point guard), or another 6OT game, that will be sufficient. We just need a guy to bring the ball up and get the offense started for a couple of minutes each half. We'll have that.

Ron Patterson was as advertised. A muscular guy with long arms who plays hard, especially on defense. He can dunk. Could help us on the boards. Not sure how many offensive skills he brings to the table and that may hold him back in his career. But, again, first game and it's August.

BJ Johnson tried a bit too hard to make things happen and not much went right for him. Still love the kid and think he could be a great one in time. His playing time may depend on how JB wants to use Gbinije.

More after tomorrow night's game.

Agree with all this but just want to emphasize how awesome I think Ennis will be. He looked amazing to me. I know it's McGill but the kid is a stud. Not meant to be a shot at mike, but I take Ennis all day long over him.

Even though he was frustrated today Rak gave us 20 minutes at the four and he covered ground better then past years. He made 2-3 cuts to the basket off the dribble, put in a 8-10 foote jumper with a natural release, and made his two freethrows off one of his drives.

Spot on and I was there. THe 2 guard position is weak. and Whitehead pulls his cramp. Hope grant stays another tear but I doubt it.

Like the take on MG. Very athletic and quick. Played good D. Has a nose for the ball. Decent handle. Played 3 different positions tonight PG, 2G, SF on the back line. Versatile. A little concerned about having enough scoring from the 2G position though. None of the three is an accomplished scorer or shooter.

Didn't get to see it but sounds like the same song and dance as last year, except Grant will even more crucial

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom