The Walking Dead | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Walking Dead

Plus - and this is I guess potentially spoilery - Kirkman has stated that the entire comic series (which translates to the TV series) is the story of Carl Grimes, which makes him the one person on the show who is absolutely without question 100% safe.

You can not Kill off Carl he becomes critical going forward.

Carl is the series protagonist. Carl will not die anytime soon.

Kill off Carl. Kill off Carl. Kill off Carl. Kill off Carl. Kill off Carl. Kill off Carl.
He is now the second best character on the show, because he is no longer a bitch. He has manned up just like his character has in the comics. He is endearing despite his loss of innocence. Viewers are no longer shout at the screen when the show focuses on Carl and are instead waiting to see what decisions he makes next. His character development beginning with the second half of the second season has been by far the best on the show. You really can't say any other character has really grown like he has except for maybe Rick. Can't wait for him to become the ultimate badass like he is in the comics. Carl might be the only unkillable character. Sorry if that's something you are going to have to get used to.

He is now the second best character on the show, because he is no longer a bitch. He has manned up just like his character has in the comics. He is endearing despite his loss of innocence. Viewers no longer shout at the screen when the show is focusing on Carl and instead waiting to see what decisions he makes next. His character development beginning with the second half of the second season has been by far the best on the show. You really can't say any other character has really grown like he has except for maybe Rick. Can't wait for him to become the ultimate badass like he is in the comics. Carl might be the only unkillable character. Sorry if that's something you are going to have to get used to.

I'm going on record now and saying that Carl could have kicked young Anakin Skywalker's pansy ass, Force or no Force. Carl is Clint friggin Eastwood compared to that schmuck of a character Jake Lloyd portrayed.

Walking Dead and Breaking Bad are great shows because they have balls. So many shows today lack balls.

a question for those who have read the comics (I read up to the issue with the cannibal hunters):

it seems to me that the Navy, or at least significant elements of it, would probably survive a zombie apocalypse as a coherent force. Independent naval units should be able to carve out and secure fairly sizable areas, and should be able to use long range reconnaissance to identify other groups of survivors and either rescue them or contact them with info on the secure area (btw, why the hell don't all the survivor groups have radios to listen for other groups and communicate with each other?)

does this come up in future issues of the comics?

a question for those who have read the comics (I read up to the issue with the cannibal hunters):

it seems to me that the Navy, or at least significant elements of it, would probably survive a zombie apocalypse as a coherent force. Independent naval units should be able to carve out and secure fairly sizable areas, and should be able to use long range reconnaissance to identify other groups of survivors and either rescue them or contact them with info on the secure area (btw, why the hell don't all the survivor groups have radios to listen for other groups and communicate with each other?)

You need to read World War Z...where "schools" of zombies actually float/swim(?) through the water and then are able to climb onto ships and attack people on ships. Now if the zombies that are in The Walking Dead are the same variety as in WWZ, then the Navy would be at risk as well.

Also, at some point, naval personnel would have to come ashore to re-supply. Even if they were to find an island somewhere, you would have to go back to the mainland sometime to get food, medicine, fresh water, etc. as an islanf would only have a finite amount of supplies.

Love the show, agree that it is gory.

IMO, the comics weren't as much about the zombie apocalypse as it was the dark things that people are willing to do to ensure their survival, even at the expense of others. The show has deviated somewhat from the graphic novels' plot, but I think they've done a good job of keeping that underlying tone.

You need to read World War Z...where "schools" of zombies actually float/swim(?) through the water and then are able to climb onto ships and attack people on ships. Now if the zombies that are in The Walking Dead are the same variety as in WWZ, then the Navy would be at risk as well.

Also, at some point, naval personnel would have to come ashore to re-supply. Even if they were to find an island somewhere, you would have to go back to the mainland sometime to get food, medicine, fresh water, etc. as an islanf would only have a finite amount of supplies.

I've read WWZ, and in that, the Navy does survive (nuclear naval ships provide power to several settlements).

by the way, speaking of WWZ, I have heard that they have made a mess of the film. When asked about how the film was going, Max Brooks replied something like "well, it's Brad Pitt's baby now." Watching the first trailer, it looks like it has deviated a lot from the original.

WWZ is what I'd call an unfilmable book, as written, so it makes sense they would change it up a bit. I just wish like crazy they hadn't used the name WWZ, because they just freaking took it and turned it into a generic zombie movie, it would seem.

Regarding your question, Moqui, no, that hasn't come up. But Walking Dead is still a relatively small scale story in one small area, away from the coast, so it makes sense they wouldn't have run into the Navy, if it still exists.

From the trailer I have seen of WWZ, I have a feeling I am going to be very disappointed. It appears that zombies move at ridiculous speed which is completely unrealistic, unless they are zombies of the 28 Days Later nature. Although not even sure you would call the 28DL infected as zombies, they are more like crazed/psychotic/manic people as a result of an infection. Plus they eventually whither and die, which as well know zombies would probably not do.

I've read WWZ, and in that, the Navy does survive (nuclear naval ships provide power to several settlements).

by the way, speaking of WWZ, I have heard that they have made a mess of the film. When asked about how the film was going, Max Brooks replied something like "well, it's Brad Pitt's baby now." Watching the first trailer, it looks like it has deviated a lot from the original.

Was a good book...very different style of writing. Just finished another book called "Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End". Here is the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Th...B0089LQJ3E/ref=pd_ys_sf_s_154606011_b2_n_13_p

Check it out, I thought it was pretty good.

WWZ is what I'd call an unfilmable book, as written, so it makes sense they would change it up a bit. I just wish like crazy they hadn't used the name WWZ, because they just freaking took it and turned it into a generic zombie movie, it would seem.

Regarding your question, Moqui, no, that hasn't come up. But Walking Dead is still a relatively small scale story in one small area, away from the coast, so it makes sense they wouldn't have run into the Navy, if it still exists.

From the trailer I have seen of WWZ, I have a feeling I am going to be very disappointed. It appears that zombies move at ridiculous speed which is completely unrealistic, unless they are zombies of the 28 Days Later nature. Although not even sure you would call the 28DL infected as zombies, they are more like crazed/psychotic/manic people as a result of an infection. Plus they eventually whither and die, which as well know zombies would probably not do.

Completely agree. WWZ was highly original in that the historical tale of the zombie apocalypse and how humanity survived and reclaimed the world is told through a series of vignettes, from different perspectives, that give the reader the end-to-end story. The trailer suggests a completely different approach--that Brad Pitt will be the focal point [whereas the narrator in WWZ never really was part of any of the tales], and that ONLY HE can save the world from the zombies.

Predictable, I suppose. Hollywood doesn't make big budget films like this and not make them action-driven. But I had a feeling Pitt would ruin it, and while the trailer looked cool, nothing I saw changes that opinion. Too bad--great book. Very creative.

The problem with rescuing survivors is they all carry the virus. So if parts of the Navy had not been in contact with the general population they would not yet be infected. Would they even want to rescue anyone? Would make for an interesting story line.

I loved the WWZ book and figured given the way it was written that the movie would have to deviate greatly. Knowing that I did not have high expectations for the film but after seeing the trailer it doesn't look as bad as I had feared.

walking dead.jpg

So they are finally getting smart. I killed cable and it is';t on hulu plus but I happily just paid 160 Microsoft points to watch Suicide King.

Ala carte shows are a current reality to those who said the cable companies would never let it happen.

Now, onto the show...

Psychotic break for post-Apocalypse leaders make good TV

I was disappointed with the episode. ***SPOILERS***

I understand that the woodbury citizens are living a sheltered exsistence, but man are they dumb. Honking horns, fleeing a protected city, getting bit in a wide open street.

Also the vision of Lori was ridiculous. Even that never happened in the comics and it is disrupting the tone of the show.

They better not disappoint with Tyrese. Just give that man a hammer. ***SPOILERS***

I expected a little more BANG in the episode considering that the show was coming off hiatus. This sequence flowed much better in the comics, but I still love the series and what they are doing. I'm trying to guess who is going to be offed by the end of the season because **SPOILER** this sequence in the comics ended in a blood letting. **SPOILED**

We know the Governor is crazy, but now we have to deal with Crazy Rick too. This world is full of crazy. Where the hell is Dale when you need him?!

I'm also worried about Merle's clap because he's been without his meds for an awful long time. The women of the Apocalypse need to be careful. There are more ways than one to be infected in this world. My guess is that we'll see Darryl and Merle on their own for the next three episodes as Darryl searches for his inner strength and exorcises his demons.

And could Michonne be a lesbian?! Merle seems to rattle her with that comment. WOW would that be interesting! ;)

Darryl's one-liners are classic. Calls Michonne "...the last Samurai...". He's by far my favorite character, even if he doesn't like to bathe or do laundry. I wonder if he smells like squirrel?

I hope there is some intense action next week. From the looks of it, Crazy Rick goes on walkabout outside the fence to kill more helpless walkers in a fit of rage. Tyreese and his people are probably locked in the prison showers hiding from Rick. Glen, who obviously is no longer on board with Rick, sees Michonne as an asset and wants to Delta Force Woodbury with her. Not sure that's going to work. I hope Sane Rick returns soon and finally joins up with Tyreese, just as the comic gods intended. Maybe Carl will have to shoot Crazy Rick in the foot to get him to wake up?

I'm just babbling now. I liked the episode, but thought it really lacked something. I wanted to be excited about at least one thing looking forward to next week but was left with a rock in my trick or treat bag. Rick has checked out, Glen has gone rogue, Michonne is neutered, the Governor acts like The Terminator and dresses like 1984 Kyle Reese. Next week needs to be big.

I do like the parallel they are implying with the Carol and Darryl and the abusive relationships they have each endured. Could it be that Carol is actually the stronger of the two? Will Darryl let Merle treat him like a red-headed stepchild again? I don't think so, and I am soooooo looking forward to that payback ass kicking. You just know it's coming.

I thought the episode was pretty poor overall. Such a disappointment after the frenetic pace of the first half of the season. I hate the way they are so slowly bringing Tyreese along since he's one of the best characters from the comics. He's been locked in a room pretty much the entire time. If they are going to lock him in a room, then (SPOILERS from the comics) the least they could do is lock him in a gym with a horde of zombies and his hammer, which was maybe the most badass thing that ever happened in the comics (END SPOILER from the comics).

Hopefully they'll get back to less talk, more action next week, and we can move on from Crazy Rick because even in the comics, Crazy Rick was the least interesting storyline to me.

I thought the episode was pretty poor overall. Such a disappointment after the frenetic pace of the first half of the season. I hate the way they are so slowly bringing Tyreese along since he's one of the best characters from the comics. He's been locked in a room pretty much the entire time. If they are going to lock him in a room, then (SPOILERS from the comics) the least they could do is lock him in a gym with a horde of zombies and his hammer, which was maybe the most badass thing that ever happened in the comics (END SPOILER from the comics).

Hopefully they'll get back to less talk, more action next week, and we can move on from Crazy Rick because even in the comics, Crazy Rick was the least interesting storyline to me.

For me Crazy Rick coupled with Crazy Governor has been too much crazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom