The Walking Dead | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

The Walking Dead

Lots of people on social media complaining about a show about a zombie apocalypse being too violent and how they are done. They must have missed the previous 6 seasons.

tumblr_o12szlRLyf1rqe0rbo1_540.gif

Intense! Great emotional start to the season. Now I see why they wrote the finale the way they did. This episode was fantastic. Especially the part with Carl. I almost lost it.

Agreed--very gripping.

I was surprised to see all of the whining today about the reveal not happening until 20 minutes in. I thought that built suspense.

Definitely way over the top. My wife is a nurse and found it disturbing, she left the room and told me to watch the rest on my own. I teach 7th graders, there's no doubt many kids that age and younger watch the show. The scary part is a number of kids that age probably found it funny, imagine what that potentially leads to.

The last part is not an over reaction either, some kids were "caught" chasing animals down over the last couple of years and beating them with bats for fun in the area I live. Does that mean the show will cause that, maybe not. But the exposure to that level of violence, then finding it funny and laughing about it at school with your friends... seems like it could have some accumulative impact.

Definitely way over the top. My wife is a nurse and found it disturbing, she left the room and told me to watch the rest on my own. I teach 7th graders, there's no doubt many kids that age and younger watch the show. The scary part is a number of kids that age probably found it funny, imagine what that potentially leads to.

The last part is not an over reaction either, some kids were "caught" chasing animals down over the last couple of years and beating them with bats for fun in the area I live. Does that mean the show will cause that, maybe not. But the exposure to that level of violence, then finding it funny and laughing about it at school with your friends... seems like it could have some accumulative impact.
Oh it's just boys being boys!

Note: this question contains a spoiler for those who haven't seen the season premier yet.

I don't want start a new thread so I'll put this here: something that has bothered me about TWD universe. Both shows - especially FTWD - have established that zombies have a strong sense of smell; if you douse yourself in the guts of the undead, you can walk among them. However, they have also established that if you remain silent and hidden, they will walk right past you, which implies that they don't have a strong sense of smell. That inconsistency has always bothered me. Maybe they took a step toward resolving that at the end of last night's show. As the RV was pulling away, Rick watched a zombie stumble from the woods to feed on the fresh brains from either Abraham or Glenn. So, maybe the explanation is that they can only smell innards, and can distinguish between fresh and rotten.

Oh it's just boys being boys!

My 15 year old daughter, 17 year old son and I have been big fans for years. My daughter turned to me last night and told me to expect her to climb into bed with my wife and me (and our dog), because she was freaked out by Lucille in action. On the other hand, my son confessed that he kinda, sorta, liked Neegan.

Perhaps this suggests there is balance in the universe?

Yeah, very intense show indeed. I thought it was well done and I figured it would not be revealed right away, and like how the story got back to the executions. Will be hard to live up to that suspense all season. Can't have characters die like that all season. On a better note, Maggie (Lauren Cohan) looked very nice in the Talking Dead after show.

My 15 year old daughter, 17 year old son and I have been big fans for years. My daughter turned to me last night and told me to expect her to climb into bed with my wife and me (and our dog), because she was freaked out by Lucille in action. On the other hand, my son confessed that he kinda, sorta, liked Neegan.

Perhaps this suggests there is balance in the universe?
Good luck on your psychiatry license exams!

Two words:

Parenting
Remote

Kids who grab bats and chase animals have bigger things going on than an episode of the Walking Dead. Consider that you can go online and find any number of execution videos WHICH ARE REAL!

Second, no one says people have to watch. Turn the channel. Lock it out.

It's starting to sound like Tipper Gore around here.

Two words:

Parenting
Remote

Kids who grab bats and chase animals have bigger things going on than an episode of the Walking Dead. Consider that you can go online and find any number of execution videos WHICH ARE REAL!

Or Nancy Reagan.
Just say no.

Great show for kids and thecaftercshow with hundreds of fans in the cemetery wishing they could get a barb wired bat for Xmas was heartfelt

Why did you watch it if you're so against it? This is the second thread you have expressed your displeasure in. Kids who watch the show are probably the same ones who read the comics in the first place.

There's another thread on this in the Entertainment section.

I have watched the show since the beginning. I love it. Violent, yes. But I think it is very telling about what people might do and how it can bring out the worst in humanity when there's no rules in a very dire situation. On the other hand, it also shows what others can do like in the same situation, total opposite sides of the spectrum. It is a very well done show in how people interact. There is plenty of violence on TV I know. It is true last night's show was very intense and gruesome, probably the most in the whole series. Fans of the show expected this I think. It is a TV show.

Agreed--very gripping.

I was surprised to see all of the whining today about the reveal not happening until 20 minutes in. I thought that built suspense.

Haters gonna hate. I felt that the writers could have really nailed the finale and last night by showing Abraham get it last season and then surprising everyone with Glenn getting it in the premiere. That would have been a great set-up...and appeased the whiners who hated the cliff hanger.

Why did you watch it if you're so against it? This is the second thread you have expressed your displeasure in. Kids who watch the show are probably the same ones who read the comics in the first place.
You don't like this country leave it
You don't like guns don't buy one
you don't like abusing people don't abuse them
You don't like racism don't be one
You don't like to post critism that third grade intellects don't like don't post

I haven't seen it as I unfortunately lost track on TWD about 2-3 seasons in. How was it compared to The Red Wedding in GoT?

I haven't seen it as I unfortunately lost track on TWD about 2-3 seasons in. How was it compared to The Red Wedding in GoT?
Dare a say a little more gratuitous violence on TWD last night. The show has been in a rut the last few seasons and the addition of someone like JDM is a bright spot. The episode was a jolt for sure.

I actually felt the episode was traumatic, but have no issue with how they handled it.

You don't like this country leave it
You don't like guns don't buy one
you don't like abusing people don't abuse them
You don't like racism don't be one
You don't like to post critism that third grade intellects don't like don't post
U lost me.

Did I miss where they put this on the Disney channel or Saturday morning cartoons?

Book Spoilers:

Been awhile since I read the books, but seems Daryl will take the storyline of the burnface guy when they get to negan's lair? He had some inner debates about loyalty from what I remember.

Abraham was good. His death in the books was lame.

Also lol at Ezekiel having his tiger in the show. Never thought they'd attempt that. Kind of jump the shark-y (yes, even more than there being zombies).

Last edited:
It wasn't all downside for the gang - Carl came away with a fashionable new belt.

Two words:

Parenting
Remote

I'm confused why you replied to my post? Tipper Gore? Did you jump to the conclusion that because I'm a teacher, I love Tipper Gore and want the government to step in and protect our kids from violent TV? That's the only thing I can come up with, which is still confusing because I never implied anything like that.

It wasn't all downside for the gang - Carl came away with a fashionable new belt.

He could have loaned his eye patch to glenn for a couple minutes, I had trouble keeping my eyes on the tv during that part.

He could have loaned his eye patch to glenn for a couple minutes, I had trouble keeping my eyes on the tv during that part.
Yeah. I struggled with that too, really gross and unsettling. Didn't know that was how it went in the comics too.

The show has been in a rut the last few seasons and the addition of someone like JDM is a bright spot. The episode was a jolt for sure.
Really? I thought the previous season was really good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom