The Walking Dead | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

The Walking Dead

well not to mention we know he won't win. So this all seems like an exercise in futility.

Isn't that how most every tv show/movie goes? Do people watch the Spiderman movies and not think he's going to come out on top at the end? Are they not aware that in <insert generic romantic comedy movie title here> the guy is going to end up with the girl in the end? It's not about the outcome, it's about how you get there.

Isn't that how most every tv show/movie goes? Do people watch the Spiderman movies and not think he's going to come out on top at the end? Are they not aware that in <insert generic romantic comedy movie title here> the guy is going to end up with the girl in the end? It's not about the outcome, it's about how you get there.

Well superhero movies are a different genre but it is basically what walking dead has become. We all know they won't kill Rick or Carl so in the end the villains don't really matter.

Well superhero movies are a different genre but it is basically what walking dead has become. We all know they won't kill Rick or Carl so in the end the villains don't really matter.
That doesn't bother me so much. Dumb villains don't work. Negan's done some dumb things. "Oh, that reminds me, you guys have a bunch of guns." Seriously?

Negan is a garbage villain. He's not even in the love to hate category. He wastes resources like crazy. He walks around iin the open like an idiot.

I can buy a lot of fiction on a zombie show. I can't buy a villain that's this dumb.
he has to be dumb, otherwise that idiot Rick would have no chance of besting him

That doesn't bother me so much. Dumb villains don't work. Negan's done some dumb things. "Oh, that reminds me, you guys have a bunch of guns." Seriously?

His comic book persona was really smart and a way badder dude than they are portraying. He was also very sarcastic in the story which is why you’d get the “oh that reminds me” comment, it's just his sarcasm. He killed and raped indiscriminately, had a harem of chicks, including Dwight’s wife Sherry. The comic didn’t portray him as having any internal enemies except for Dwight (because of the wife/iron). His men were basically allowed to loot and plunder as they liked so they loved him.

If I remember the comic correctly, after Negan took Sherry to be one of his wives, Dwight and Sherry still had sex so Negan branded him with an iron. Dwight was the only person portrayed as hating Negan.

If the TV show is portraying Negan’s men as being happy for him dying that is false. His men would just end up fighting for his throne and things would ultimately be worse off because his men were bad dudes. One thing about Negan, he ruled by fear but he was far from stupid. Lots of psychological warfare, he tried not to bite the hands that fed him. Sort of like the Romans. He didn’t want uprisings and revolts, he just wanted the clans to pay taxes.

Last edited:
His comic book persona was really smart and a way badder dude than they are portraying. He was also very sarcastic in the story which is why you’d get the “oh that reminds me” comment, it's just his sarcasm. He killed and raped indiscriminately, had a harem of chicks, including Dwight’s wife Sherry. The comic didn’t portray him as having any internal enemies except for Dwight (because of the wife/iron). His men were basically allowed to loot and plunder as they liked so they loved him.

If I remember the comic correctly, after Negan took Sherry to be one of his wives, Dwight and Sherry still had s e x so Negan branded him with an iron. Dwight was the only person portrayed as hating Negan.

If the TV show is portraying Negan’s men as being happy for him dying that is false. His men would just end up fighting for his throne and things would ultimately be worse off. One thing about Negan, he ruled by fear but he was far from stupid. Lots of physiological warfare, he tried not to bite the hands that fed him. Sort of like the Romans. He didn’t want uprisings and revolts, he just wanted the clans to pay taxes.
Good feedback since I know zilch about the comics.

The "oh you have a bunch of guns" thing bothered me because he knows Rick's crew is heavily armed. The smart play is to send the underlings first to clear out the guns, then you make the personal visit.

As for ruling by fear but being far from stupid, that's where I'm having a hard time. The TV show Negan is extremely wasteful. That would frustrate his bandit crew in real life.

Nobody's living all that well at this point in the TV show world. Alexandria's got it as good as anybody. Better than the place they showed the Saviors living in. So stealing Alexandria's stuff makes sense. Burning their mattresses doesn't. There's no way there aren't Saviors that would pass on those mattresses.

The "oh you have a bunch of guns" thing bothered me because he knows Rick's crew is heavily armed. The smart play is to send the underlings first to clear out the guns, then you make the personal visit.

As for ruling by fear but being far from stupid, that's where I'm having a hard time. The TV show Negan is extremely wasteful. That would frustrate his bandit crew in real life.

Nobody's living all that well at this point in the TV show world. Alexandria's got it as good as anybody. Better than the place they showed the Saviors living in. So stealing Alexandria's stuff makes sense. Burning their mattresses doesn't. There's no way there aren't Saviors that would pass on those mattresses.
true. if nothing else, they are potential trade goods or reward goods to be dispensed to other servile groups.

simply burning them might be useful psychological operation, but you would have to burn them right in front of the Alexandrians. That's how you run a PSYOP.

BTW, I stopped reading the comics right after the defeat of Negan. Negan the comic villian was both more physically imposing and smarter than the TV version.

as an aside, I always scoffed at Lucille. Wooden bats are not good weapons - the handles are going to crack frequently when used to bash in heads; you need to go aluminum for that kind of use. And barbed wire adds no utility to it as a weapon. I guess it has a psychological dimension, but you'd think he'd get tired of re-wrapping a new one every couple of weeks.

If I remember the comic correctly, after Negan took Sherry to be one of his wives, Dwight and Sherry still had s e x so Negan branded him with an iron. Dwight was the only person portrayed as hating Negan.

If the TV show is portraying Negan’s men as being happy for him dying that is false. His men would just end up fighting for his throne and things would ultimately be worse off because his men were bad dudes. One thing about Negan, he ruled by fear but he was far from stupid. Lots of psychological warfare, he tried not to bite the hands that fed him. Sort of like the Romans. He didn’t want uprisings and revolts, he just wanted the clans to pay taxes.
for how long did the comic last??

for whatever reason, I thought they were past the comics or off on their own a-la GoT.

The mattresses are just a psychological ploy. Removing creature comforts. The Saviors don’t need them that’s why the burned them, there’s 8 million empty homes out there; and Alexandria will just go get more. But it’s the ‘we can take whatever we want’ power.

He’s evil like Himmler and the SS but conquering like the Romans. As the Romans did, he conquers, enslave, rapes and plunders but when he’s done he lets the conquered clans govern themselves and go on about their lives. Just pay taxes and we’ll leave you alone.

If you don’t pay up and try to fight back we’ll slaughter and rape every last one of you. And we’ll slaughter you in the worst ways possible.

for whatever reason, I thought they were past the comics or off on their own a-la GoT.

The comics are currently on volume 27. The show is roughly around volume 17-18.

the comics are alive and well. There's also a wiki which is pretty cool. It gives a good synopsis of every issue.

I never actually read one of the paper comics, these youtubers upload videos of each issue. They take about 10 minutes to get through. Not sure if youtube cracked down on that or not though. I usually just hit up the wiki every few months now and read the summaries.

The Walking Dead (Comic Series)

Last edited:

TV meanders away from the comics, adds different characters & plotlines, has killed off a couple of the comics characters at different times, but it keeps rejoining the main stream. Woodbury, Alexandria, Hilltop, the Kingdom, the Saviors - all in the comics and mostly in the form we've seen on TV, but took different paths getting there with some different characters in tow.

The mattresses are just a psychological ploy. Removing creature comforts. The Saviors don’t need them that’s why the burned them, there’s 8 million empty homes out there; and Alexandria will just go get more. But it’s the ‘we can take whatever we want’ power.

He’s evil like Himmler and the SS but conquering like the Romans. As the Romans did, he conquers, enslave, rapes and plunders but when he’s done he lets the conquered clans govern themselves and go on about their lives. Just pay taxes and we’ll leave you alone.

If you don’t pay up and try to fight back we’ll slaughter and rape every last one of you. And we’ll slaughter you in the worst ways possible.
meh

All the talk was how he's this awesome villain. I haven't seen it.

meh

All the talk was how he's this awesome villain. I haven't seen it.

Agreed. For someone whose read all the comics hes been really disappointing as this supposed ultimate villian. Hes evil personified in the books. The tv show governor was worse imo. They shouldve had him kill that chick sunday night who couldnt account for the gun and then talking a random girl back to pass around, that would get the point across.

I dont really like who they casted either. As was mentioned hes a big dude in the books, so the skinny comedian type isnt really fitting. Hes more witty in the comic than comedian. More like a no emotion clint eastwood role "worms gotta eat to" / "he shouldve armed himself" lines. Id always pictured a younger angry charles bronson type.

Physically, I pictured Negan more husky. This guy has super skinny legs. Also wish he had more of the receding hairline look. His little leaning back laugh thing is starting to get too repetitive and comical.

He just doesn't have that...edge...yet. Negan (imo) should be pretty normal. He follows social rules. It's just his reprimanding is swift and extreme, without hesitation.

Yay! Yet another episode full of characters no one cares about. How many does that bring us to this season? At least 2.

Pretty bad. Seems the storylines that weren't in the books (like that whole hospital story--ugh!) are the biggest culprits.

Yay! Yet another episode full of characters no one cares about. How many does that bring us to this season? At least 2.

The point of last night's episode was to show more of the reach and the evil of the Saviors (they killed all the men, including boys over ten) and drove those women into exile, essentially. And, it shows where Alexandria's new arsenal is going to come from. Plus, it was a convenient way to show Heath's absence since Corey (who plays Heath) is now tied up with other TV and movie projects.

And the people who tear up these episodes and say that the number of sub characters is watering down the product forget the fact that not all of these people will be around much longer. I'm waiting for badass Jesus to show up, and it's coming soon...as is Carl's antagonist relationship with Negan.

The point of last night's episode was to show more of the reach and the evil of the Saviors (they killed all the men, including boys over ten) and drove those women into exile, essentially. And, it shows where Alexandria's new arsenal is going to come from. Plus, it was a convenient way to show Heath's absence since Corey (who plays Heath) is now tied up with other TV and movie projects.

And the people who tear up these episodes and say that the number of sub characters is watering down the product forget the fact that not all of these people will be around much longer. I'm waiting for badass Jesus to show up, and it's coming soon...as is Carl's antagonist relationship with Negan.

I don't know that we needed a whole episode to do that. Any episode that totally ignores the main characters is a problem.

I don't know that we needed a whole episode to do that. Any episode that totally ignores the main characters is a problem.

I appreciated the fresh story line and the possibilities it opens up, but I did not think it was all that well executed. The potential has me interested in a way that the episode did not. I aree that if you were going to use a whole episode on a new group, you should introduce it with a character we have more invested in.

I'm just tired of hearing how bad and tough the Saviors are, when they keep acting so stupid.

Dumb villains don't work. Smart villains work. Random and crazy villains can work. Dumb ones don't work.

There are several story lines now, which does keep certain characters and lines from being on air, even for a few episodes at a time. But, the writers/exec producers are smart and will tie this all together later on. Can't have non-stop action and people dying every episode.

There's been a number of occasions where something happened or was said in a previous season that I did not understand at the time, but it came out in a later episode or season (i.e., good foresight).

Physically, I pictured Negan more husky. This guy has super skinny legs. Also wish he had more of the receding hairline look. His little leaning back laugh thing is starting to get too repetitive and comical.

He just doesn't have that...edge...yet. Negan (imo) should be pretty normal. He follows social rules. It's just his reprimanding is swift and extreme, without hesitation.
I think they wanted to cast the Jeffrey Dean Morgan from Watchmen, but got the JDM from The Good Wife instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom