The way it breaks down... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The way it breaks down...

One of the reasons I've long wanted into the ACC is that just about every school has an avid natural fanbase. Even when schools are down there is still a nice sized of locals and alums who care. That's not the case with too many teams in the Big East. For the hoopsters, as soon as G'twon, Nova, StJ's, etc are out of the top 25 no one gives a flying fig about them in their cities. And no one ever cares about the Hall, DePaul and Providence.

On the football side I can honestly say that I have never met a graduate of Cincy, USF and Louisville. Never. Meanwhile I know scores of people who went to MD, VA, VT, UNC and Duke.

To me, a HUGE part of the appeal of college sports is the fanbases, and the BE has always been severely lacking in that regard.

cusefan95...I understand what you are saying...but I dontbuy it.

For most folks going to SU Football games, 2 tanks of gas is not going to break them. You get up at 6am, drive to NYC (which plenty of NYC people do already when driving up to Cuse), tailgate, catch the game...drive back. The cost is really not that much more.

44cuse
It is on CNY income much different than Manhattan income. They are not the NJ Orange, NYs team is from Syracuse, the first batch of games were understandable, the games going to 2038 not so much. The talk of being a "Big Time" program while constantly sending all your big games to another state is kind of hypocritical. Because all big time programs play their home & home series in another state right? By the way PSU is about 230 miles to Giant Stadium Carrier Dome is about 245, about the same Dome to PSU, or were we able to get a 1-1-1 with them? That said I will continue to buy my tickets and support the team because I am and have been hooked.

If you live within 75-100 miles of New York City, you're not too crazy about the move to the ACC.

If you live beyond that range, you pretty much think it's terrific.

And, yes, I know, the move was in our best interest. I get it.

I live in NYC -- and completely disagree with you. The games at the Garden aren't going away and the ACC tourney will eventually be in the Garden (at least on a rotating basis). You can take that to the bank

How did they miss out? They can get in their cars and drive to the games just like people from NYC do.

I was at the USC game yesterday with two posters who live in NYC and go to every home (drive up and back in same day mostly) game and several away games (including USC and Tulane).

People from Syracuse can drive to NYC just as easily as the NYC folks can drive to Syracuse.

44cuse

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Hmm, I wonder who those posters you speak of may be? And you happen to be dead on.

Cusefan95:
Unfortunately passing on season tickets so they can afford to take trips to NYC for the "big games" would be very rational for the local fans. Then that would feed into the belief the games are getting moved because locals won't come to the games. I understand the reasons for the moves, but local fans with limited discretionary income have every right to feel like they're getting boned by the University. Again. They either pay to watch Rhode Island and Colgate, and watch the big home games on TV...or they save up for trips to NYC and get ripped on by know-nothings since the dome is empty for a totally uncompelling slate of Dome games.

I'll pay for your gas money and you can sleep on my couch -- I don't want to hear about the discretionary income thing for a game in the Meadowlands once every year. That discretionary income theory certainly doesn't seem to come into play when the BET is involved and people in Syracuse come down en masse.

It is on CNY income much different than Manhattan income. They are not the NJ Orange, NYs team is from Syracuse, the first batch of games were understandable, the games going to 2038 not so much. The talk of being a "Big Time" program while constantly sending all your big games to another state is kind of hypocritical. Because all big time programs play their home & home series in another state right? By the way PSU is about 230 miles to Giant Stadium Carrier Dome is about 245, about the same Dome to PSU, or were we able to get a 1-1-1 with them? That said I will continue to buy my tickets and support the team because I am and have been hooked.

More excuses not to travel. Again, what do you think the NYC alums who have season tickets do 6 or 7 times a fall? Its once a year and its a 4 hour drive (tops). The games aren't being moved to Wichita

Sorry...not buying it. I grew up in CNY so I know the deal.

But getting up at 6AM and driving to NYC for 1 game per year and driving back after the game is not a big deal. It's just not.

44cuse

Hmm, I wonder who those posters you speak of may be? And you happen to be dead on.
All in...I thought that was a pretty cool stadium. Was prepared to not like it so much...but thought it was pretty good. Weather: unbeatable.

44cuse

But getting up at 6AM and driving to NYC for 1 game per year and driving back after the game is not a big deal. It's just not.

44cuse

That exact routine is what tens of thousands of college football fans do every single Saturday. But we're talking about people who leave games in the 3rd quarter to beat the Syracuse "traffic".

That exact routine is what tens of thousands of college football fans do every single Saturday. But we're talking about people who leave games in the 3rd quarter to beat the Syracuse "traffic".

Bingo

All in...I thought that was a pretty cool stadium. Was prepared to not like it so much...but thought it was pretty good. Weather: unbeatable.

44cuse

Agreed -- I loved the Coliseum (and Traveller and the Song Girls and the fight song).

The surrounding neighborhood? Not so much

More excuses not to travel. Again, what do you think the NYC alums who have season tickets do 6 or 7 times a fall? Its once a year and its a 4 hour drive (tops). The games aren't being moved to Wichita
Syracuse Orange Home games in NJ not an excuse a fact, that is not big time. I see all the big programs moving there home games; cries of inferiority.

44cuse
Nothing to buy, the purpose of a home game is to...wait for it...play at home, not another state, and surely the home team should hav a shorter trip than the visitor, not the case in the case of PSU...and who says I do not travel. There are 6 other road games I can travel to, and I should not have to travel 2 PSU away games back to back years

Syracuse Orange Home games in NJ not an excuse a fact, that is not big time. I see all the big programs moving there home games; cries of inferiority.

Perhaps you've missed LSU playing Oregon in Dallas, ND playing Army in Yankee Stadium, etc. Moving high profile games to big pro venues is being done more and more.

Until 2038? You are talking occasional one offs not every big game until after current AD retires, I am all for the first batch and occasionals after that, but not every big ooc game until my grandson plays. And when is LSU playing at Oregon, and Oregon at LSU because I am talking Home & homes where we give up a home game to play in NJ. And Army in Yankee Stadium is just moving to a bigger venue and is NOT 240 miles away. You are comparing apples to oranges

Until 2038? You are talking occasional one offs not every big game until after current AD retires, I am all for the first batch and occasionals after that, but not every big ooc game until my grandson plays.

Did I miss something? When did we announce every big OOC game for the next 30 years would be played at the Meadowlands?

Nothing to buy, the purpose of a home game is to...wait for it...play at home, not another state, and surely the home team should hav a shorter trip than the visitor, not the case in the case of PSU...and who says I do not travel. There are 6 other road games I can travel to, and I should not have to travel 2 PSU away games back to back years
Still not buying it and don;t change the discussion. People from CNY can get in their cars and just as easily drive to NYC as the NYC people drive to CNY. No getting around that.

The CNY'er have no problem going to hoops games at MSG for a week.

44cuse

Still not buying it and don;t change the discussion. People from CNY can get in their cars and just as easily drive to NYC as the NYC people drive to CNY. No getting around that.

The CNY'er have no problem going to hoops games at MSG for a week.

44cuse
Apples and oranges AGAIN, that is a conference tourney with a home schedule of how many games compared to 6 home games and assuring NEVER the big time games unless in conference.

I assure you these are not games against Rode Island, basically we will play the away game at the "Big" school, and the home game ... well away, I am sure they will not schedule 2 "Big" OOC's the same year
http://www.suathletics.com/news/2011/3/10/FB_0310113613.aspx

Wow so Syracuse will play one home game every other year at the Meadowlands. What an aweful thing for the program and for the college.

:rolling:

I assure you these are not games against Rode Island, basically we will play the away game at the "Big" school, and the home game ... well away, I am sure they will not schedule 2 "Big" OOC's the same year
http://www.suathletics.com/news/2011/3/10/FB_0310113613.aspx

Oh for God's sake, you're having a fit over 10 unknown games played over 20 years that don't start for 8 more years?

Relax, Frankie.

Apples and oranges AGAIN, that is a conference tourney with a home schedule of how many games compared to 6 home games and assuring NEVER the big time games unless in conference.
Get in car---->drive to Meadowlands---->drive home.

No apples and oranges. Basic fact. Get in your car and drive to NYC. It's not a big deal. People in CNY can afford it.
This was your original argument: "It is on CNY income much different than Manhattan income."
Stick to it or admit you are changing it. Driving to NYC is not a big deal. People drive to CNY all the time.

44cuse

Not having a fit about it and they start next year against USC, and continue until 2038. Just stating the fact. The BE tourney is indeed a red hearing, cannot compare a conference tourney with 15 or however many home games to a regular season (1 of 6) from a home and home series. So how many of you guys made it to Colgate & Maine & Rhode Island? I simply replied that the incomes in NYC are greater than that of CNY, and filling one tank of gas may be easier for those in the city than those here, not saying impossible, just it is more difficult and you may have grown up here but the economy is struggling and not the same now. The other arguments were from when you were comparing 1 of 6 football games to a conference tourney which the school has no control over scheduling. I could get into alot of other issues as to why I and many others think this was the wrong move to announce so far in advance but this will never end. As foe me getting in a car and driving to NJ, I likely will be there, I just do not agree that these are the same thing...If I lived in NYC I would be glad they were playing there too. But this strike me as Buffalo Billsish. Suffice it to say we will not agree, because this argument is ridiculous especially comparing this agreement to the one time LSU game and the nearby Army game.

Wow...that's just about all I can say.

NYC people go to 3-4 games (some go to ALL including road half of the road games)...so that is 3-4 trips. CNY'ers can't make 1 trip to NYC? So the NYC folks make 3-4X that of the CNY season ticket holders?

Seriously...it's one trip to NYC. One trip.

44cuse

Get in car---->drive to Meadowlands---->drive home.
44cuse

Better yet. They can wait for the high-speed rail and take it into the city and back again.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom