The way it breaks down... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The way it breaks down...

Not having a fit about it and they start next year against USC, and continue until 2038. Just stating the fact. The BE tourney is indeed a red hearing, cannot compare a conference tourney with 15 or however many home games to a regular season (1 of 6) from a home and home series. So how many of you guys made it to Colgate & Maine & Rhode Island? I simply replied that the incomes in NYC are greater than that of CNY, and filling one tank of gas may be easier for those in the city than those here, not saying impossible, just it is more difficult and you may have grown up here but the economy is struggling and not the same now. The other arguments were from when you were comparing 1 of 6 football games to a conference tourney which the school has no control over scheduling. I could get into alot of other issues as to why I and many others think this was the wrong move to announce so far in advance but this will never end. As foe me getting in a car and driving to NJ, I likely will be there, I just do not agree that these are the same thing...If I lived in NYC I would be glad they were playing there too. But this strike me as Buffalo Billsish. Suffice it to say we will not agree, because this argument is ridiculous especially comparing this agreement to the one time LSU game and the nearby Army game.

The BET argument is absolutely relevant. And when the CNYers come down for that, they come for the whole freakin' weekend. Don't give me this "we can't afford the tank of gas" argument. Thats absurd. Its once a freakin' year.

Did you go to the Pinstripe Bowl by the way? If so, did you enjoy it? My guess is that if you did, you had fun. Games in the NYC area should be looked at as a fun road trip once a year. Its a good thing. As much as I enjoy going up to Syracuse every weekend (and I genuinely do), I wish the CNYers would have the same feeling of an annual game in the big city.

Wow...that's just about all I can say.

NYC people go to 3-4 games (some go to ALL including road half of the road games)...so that is 3-4 trips. CNY'ers can't make 1 trip to NYC? So the NYC folks make 3-4X that of the CNY season ticket holders?

Seriously...it's one trip to NYC. One trip.

44cuse
Like I said I was responding to your comment about it being the same for those in NYC as here. As I originally stated I was not against the original what was it 5 games (10 years)? Because the program needed the exposure and the occassional one offs like in kick of classics, but not home & homes for 30 years. And as I said it is the SYRACUSE orange not the Rutgers NJ Orange...sorry maybe talking principles should not be added here

Like I said I was responding to your comment about it being the same for those in NYC as here. As I originally stated I was not against the original what was it 5 games (10 years)? Because the program needed the exposure and the occassional one offs like in kick of classics, but not home & homes for 30 years. And as I said it is the SYRACUSE orange not the Rutgers NJ Orange...sorry maybe talking principles should not be added here

Stop on the NJ nonsense. The stadium is all of 7 miles from Manhattan.

The BET argument is absolutely relevant. And when the CNYers come down for that, they come for the whole freakin' weekend. Don't give me this "we can't afford the tank of gas" argument. Thats absurd. Its once a freakin' year.

Did you go to the Pinstripe Bowl by the way? If so, did you enjoy it? My guess is that if you did, you had fun. Games in the NYC area should be looked at as a fun road trip once a year. Its a good thing. As much as I enjoy going up to Syracuse every weekend (and I genuinely do), I wish the CNYers would have the same feeling of an annual game in the big city.

I know you are tired of hearing this but APPLES & ORANGES, that is not giving up a home & home. Why would I not want to have the biggest OOC at home? At the Wake Forrest game which I am sure you were at, when the dome was quarter full it was loud, just imagine what happens when the program is rebuilt and the place is full...that is a HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE? How awesome that is. Like I said I was there for the Nebraska & PSU upsets, the Chris Gedney catch at the goal line against Miami etc etc. ...(my bad Miami is an apples to oranges that was a conference game) why give up all those home games that far into the future? I never said the games would not be great experiences, just like home games at...well...home. But as I also said, I will support the team and make as many trips as possible, but if I have to take a road trip for a home game that is one less road trip I can take for a road game

That's understandable but long term big picture I think even those 100miles and closer to NYC will be happy with this as well once the dust settles and we see what happens to the bball only schools and the few Fball schools that are not in one of the 4 16team conferences.

Noah's Ark scenario?

Not having a fit about it and they start next year against USC, and continue until 2038. Just stating the fact. The BE tourney is indeed a red hearing, cannot compare a conference tourney with 15 or however many home games to a regular season (1 of 6) from a home and home series. So how many of you guys made it to Colgate & Maine & Rhode Island? I simply replied that the incomes in NYC are greater than that of CNY, and filling one tank of gas may be easier for those in the city than those here, not saying impossible, just it is more difficult and you may have grown up here but the economy is struggling and not the same now. The other arguments were from when you were comparing 1 of 6 football games to a conference tourney which the school has no control over scheduling. I could get into alot of other issues as to why I and many others think this was the wrong move to announce so far in advance but this will never end. As foe me getting in a car and driving to NJ, I likely will be there, I just do not agree that these are the same thing...If I lived in NYC I would be glad they were playing there too. But this strike me as Buffalo Billsish. Suffice it to say we will not agree, because this argument is ridiculous especially comparing this agreement to the one time LSU game and the nearby Army game.

Manhattan guys are paying $4500 to live in a broom closet, so don't make the post about a tank of gas.

Big college football games are being played at NFL venues all the time...be happy that SU is considered a big college game.

Sorry didn't mean to touch a nerve

Nerve? No. It's just a stupid thing to argue about. If you don't like SU moving games to the Meadowlands that's fine, I do get that sentiment. But to moan about it because the stadium is a stone's throw over the Jersey state line is simply assinine. I guess if SU built a super-modern 60,000 seat open-air stadium with personal seat warmers and concierge service for every row, 500 yards over the city line in East Syracuse, you'd be pissed right? Because that's not "Syracuse".

I think joining the ACC changes the equation on this quite a bit. There really isn't any Big East team that you look at on the schedule and get excited to see. I get everyone talking about how fans should go to support the home team, but let's face it... Going to see the home team play Miami or Virginia Tech is more fun than going to watch them play directional Florida or Cincinnati. By joining the ACC, there's enough "name" schools in the conference that moving OCC games isn't going to be as big a deal. There wasn't one home game I looked at on last year's schedule and was excited about seeing; that won't happen in the ACC.

FWIW, I don't live anywhere near Syracuse. I'll still keep going to road games and maintain my season tickets, and I'll go to those, too - as long as Syracuse is playing on Saturday and not in the middle of the week. (Which should also be less of a problem in the ACC...)

35 miles from Manhattan and I like the move. The only downside for me as an original BigEast fan is hoops, which is a big downside. Seeing games in person will be more difficult now and I think we will all miss the BET in MSG. I realize that, given the way conferences are moving, if SU was still in the BE in 10 years that it mean bad things for the FB team b/c I don't think the BE has a viable long-term set-up. I still think the best conference for SU would have included PSU, UMD, WVU, Pitt, UConn, BC, UVA, RU, but that was never going to happen.

I have family sprinkled throughout NC/VA, so I will have built in places to stay if I decide to travel for away games. As for TV, most of SUs FB games are currently on E3, so that won't change much and we always get the ACC gotw on ESPN, so FB TV won't change much here. I think ultimately that the ACC will have it's own network that will be on all east coast cable networks. I already have 2-3 B10 channels on my cable plan (1 in HD).

I also think the novelty of playing Carolina and Duke will wear off pretty quickly. The excitement of playing UConn and Gtown never gets old. That's what made the BE so great, even with all its warts.

It will only get old if SU doesn't keep up after JB retires. How can annual matchups between top-10 teams get old? The reason that the UConn and GT games have stayed big for SU is because most years, they are games that have a lot of meaning based on standings and rankings. In the years where they don't, they are big because of the "normal" years. In the 80s, the St. Johns games were huge. They haven't been all that big for several years now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom