The way it breaks down... | Syracusefan.com

The way it breaks down...

cuseguy

Living Legend
If you live within 75-100 miles of New York City, you're not too crazy about the move to the ACC.

If you live beyond that range, you pretty much think it's terrific.

And, yes, I know, the move was in our best interest. I get it.

That's understandable but long term big picture I think even those 100miles and closer to NYC will be happy with this as well once the dust settles and we see what happens to the bball only schools and the few Fball schools that are not in one of the 4 16team conferences.

True. I'm reserving judgment on this until everything settles. I hate the bloated Big East. I won't miss Marquette, DePaul, Cincy, Louisville, South Florida and, yes, TCU. But I will miss the BE tournament and the traditional BE rivalries that started well before those schools came along. I don't think I'd be half the SU fan I am if not for having been able to see so many SU football and basketball games in person over the years. I sense my interest is going to dwindle a bit. But that's okay. It was fun while it lasted.

If you live within 75-100 miles of New York City, you're not too crazy about the move to the ACC.

Not you in particular at all because I know you'll now miss out of some things you were used to and got hosed with all the weekday football games, but I have little sympathy for those fans within 100 miles of NYC because they had no sympathy for the local football fans who lost out on the biggest 15 OOC games which were moved to the Meadowlands.

I live 45 miles from Manhattan and I'm totally cool with this.

Look, I went to school in Syracuse, which is 250 miles from NYC. It's great that over the years there has been opportunities to see SU play close to my home, but it was just that, an "opportunity". The school ain't located on 42nd St.

We'll still get some NYC hoops games. And we'll be playing in Boston, Pittsburgh, Maryland, etc. Hell we may even still end up playing in Hartford and Jersey. Honestly, we've been spoiled. Think about the Pac 12, Big Ten, and SEC... Everyone of those fan bases has to travel a lot. The old northeast corridor BE set-up was a nice exception to the rule. But it's very nature (small, private, non-football playing schools) made it unsustainable.

Not you in particular at all because I know you'll now miss out of some things you were used to and got hosed with all the weekday football games, but I have little sympathy for those fans within 100 miles of NYC because they had no sympathy for the local football fans who lost out on the biggest 15 OOC games which were moved to the Meadowlands.

And honestly, its not like NYC area fans have consistently turned out for years. I recall being at MSG for many an early season tourney game in the late 90s and early-mid 2000s with maybe 3K SU fans there. In fact I remember times when we were outnumbered by Kanasas, Kentucky, Memphis and Louisville fans.

Being from Richmond, it makes it very easy for me to go see games haha. I have friends up and down the coast so I pretty much have the opportunity to see every game once I graduate

I live across the Hudson in Jersey City and I'm ecstatic about the move. My hope is that we never have to play Rutgers again in any sport.

How did they miss out? They can get in their cars and drive to the games just like people from NYC do.

I was at the USC game yesterday with two posters who live in NYC and go to every home (drive up and back in same day mostly) game and several away games (including USC and Tulane).

People from Syracuse can drive to NYC just as easily as the NYC folks can drive to Syracuse.

44cuse

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I also think the novelty of playing Carolina and Duke will wear off pretty quickly. The excitement of playing UConn and Gtown never gets old. That's what made the BE so great, even with all its warts.

A little simplistic, but I understand where you are coming from. In my case, going to the B10 would have meant lots more games for me. Staying in the BE would have meant continued easy football trips to Cincy and achievable trips to Pitt and L'ville. Hoops trips to those same schools plus ND and Depaul if I so desired.

Those scenarios have all disappeared but I'm still happy with the move because I understand the bigger picture. Also, for Boston, Metro DC, RTP, Atlanta, and Florida SU fans, things just took a step up in terms of ease of attending. So I'm happy for them

I live 45 miles from Manhattan and I'm totally cool with this.

Look, I went to school in Syracuse, which is 250 miles from NYC. It's great that over the years there has been opportunities to see SU play close to my home, but it was just that, an "opportunity". The school ain't located on 42nd St.

We'll still get some NYC hoops games. And we'll be playing in Boston, Pittsburgh, Maryland, etc. Hell we may even still end up playing in Hartford and Jersey. Honestly, we've been spoiled. Think about the Pac 12, Big Ten, and SEC... Everyone of those fan bases has to travel a lot. The old northeast corridor BE set-up was a nice exception to the rule. But it's very nature (small, private, non-football playing schools) made it unsustainable.
That is exactly right, Scooch. The Pac 12 schools travel very well in conference and it's a cultural thing. That's just what you do. Get on the 5 on a Friday night and all you see are cars with Washington, Oregon, Cal, USC flags and stickers. And the airports are packed with travelling fans.

Hopefully something close to that evolves for us.

44cuse

There are SU alumni living up and down the Eastern Seaboard who are doing a jig today.

I also think the novelty of playing Carolina and Duke will wear off pretty quickly. The excitement of playing UConn and Gtown never gets old. That's what made the BE so great, even with all its warts.

Oh come on now. There was ZERO excitement in playing UConn for the first 10 years of the Big East. As someone who got to the Hill in the early 90s, as G'Town was about to hit its lost decade, that was a completely inconsistent fan experience for me too.

We will be up for playing any program that's consistently great.

How did they miss out? They can get in their cars and drive to the games just like people from NYC do.

I was at the USC game yesterday with two posters who live in NYC and go to every home (drive up and back in same day mostly) game and several away games (including USC and Tulane).

People from Syracuse can drive to NYC just as easily as the NYC folks can drive to Syracuse.

Unfortunately passing on season tickets so they can afford to take trips to NYC for the "big games" would be very rational for the local fans. Then that would feed into the belief the games are getting moved because locals won't come to the games. I understand the reasons for the moves, but local fans with limited discretionary income have every right to feel like they're getting boned by the University. Again. They either pay to watch Rhode Island and Colgate, and watch the big home games on TV...or they save up for trips to NYC and get ripped on by know-nothings since the dome is empty for a totally uncompelling slate of Dome games.

44cuse

That is exactly right, Scooch. The Pac 12 schools travel very well in conference and it's a cultural thing. That's just what you do. Get on the 5 on a Friday night and all you see are cars with Washington, Oregon, Cal, USC flags and stickers. And the airports are packed with travelling fans.

Hopefully something close to that evolves for us.

44cuse

Yep. As in usually the case, SU fans are late to the party. We've really just started being a great traveling hoops fan base in the past several years. Hopefully our football fans get with that program too.

Oh come on now. There was ZERO excitement in playing UConn for the first 10 years of the Big East. As someone who got to the Hill in the early 90s, as G'Town was about to hit its lost decade, that was a completely inconsistent fan experience for me too.

We will be up for playing any program that's consistently great.

Duke and UNC are just flash in the pan programs.

You could've picked your seat in the Verizon Center 5 minutes before tip in the Craig Eschrick era.

Moving- you leave your old house thinking about all the memories and arrive at your new house thinking about all the possibilities.

Yep. As in usually the case, SU fans are late to the party. We've really just started being a great traveling hoops fan base in the past several years. Hopefully our football fans get with that program too.
Totally agreed. Hoops feels a little harder to travel for, but I get that.

That said, traveling for both sports will be good. Would love to see us with more of a traveling culture.

44cuse

cusefan95...I understand what you are saying...but I dontbuy it.

For most folks going to SU Football games, 2 tanks of gas is not going to break them. You get up at 6am, drive to NYC (which plenty of NYC people do already when driving up to Cuse), tailgate, catch the game...drive back. The cost is really not that much more.

44cuse

35 Miles from NYC and happy as a clam, thank you very much!

quick check out window, yep thats 1st Ave, right smack dab in the middle of 10021...and traffic has been snarled repeatedly because i keep doing cartwheels up and down it.

football is football, in Giants Stadium or at the Dome. and likely with rutgers on board too.

hoop is a no brainer too.

unless $t john$ refuses to play us, which they wont, i expect to play them every year at M$G, something they dont do now.

i also fully expect to continue to be in 1 of the pre-nit, cvc, jimmy v and now maybe even the ecac...every year.

$eton hall will still want us to play newark.

we lose the BET, but i have a feeling it will make a return, somehow. maybe not every year, but it will be here.

this move was a HOME RUN.

so happy we went 1st. sit back and relax kids, smoke em if you got em, pour that cognac, SU. IS. SET!!!!!

No offense, but it seems like people with your opinion angle keep ignoring the fact that Swofford wants to have the ACC Tourney in MSG. If that happens, what are you really missing out on? Odds are that Rutgers and UCONN will be 15 and 16 when all is said and done and that just makes it that much more consistent with what we currently have. Granted, none of those things are givens, but if it shakes out that way you're not really going to be losing out on much...what maybe 3-4 games a year considered locally to you?

Not to mention you now have access to the ACC network so it's going to be a hell of a lot easier to see games televised as well.

Another argument I don't get either is the basketball "rivalry" argument. Marquette...Depaul, yeah forget them immediately. Seton Hall, Providence, St. Johns? Nothing there - those programs have been afterthoughts for 10 years+ now (even though I give St. John's credit as it appears that program will be re-emerging under Lavin). Georgetown? Historic rivalry yes. Any recent significance? Not really. Nova has had a quality program over the past 10-15 years but, to be honest, the BB games I get most jazzed up for are against Pitt and UCONN. One is in and the other is likely coming. Plus the BC rivalry gets renewed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom