The Year of Wildhack | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The Year of Wildhack

So I will try again.
Wow. So what. Are opinions that don’t pretend everything isn’t awesome and are actually backed up with support not allowed.
When it’s good I support it.
When it’s not good I am not going to pretend it’s good.
I think Wildhack has done a terrible job with the women’s basketball situation and this hire should have been done last August if choice was who it was.
August? By April 2021, twelve players had left the SU women’s team. August would not have given FLJ the time you seem to think she would have had.

And I also go back to my earlier statement that while she was “very interested” in the SU job, I think she had just signed a new contract. But I’ll research that.

Buffalo News Article

{Legette-Jack signed her most recent contract extension in the summer of 2021, a deal that ran through March 31, 2025. According to the terms of her contract, she would owe a UB $100,000 buyout fee for leaving before April 5, 2022.}

August? By April 2021, twelve players had left the SU women’s team. August would not have given FLJ the time you seem to think she would have had.

And I also go back to my earlier statement that while she was “very interested” in the SU job, I think she had just signed a new contract. But I’ll research that.
Could FLJ have started recruiting for SU last year?
It would have put an adult in the HC chair and laid the foundation for the future.

The interim HC we had last year was part of the toxic culture under Q.

Again FLJ would have taken the job very likely last August.

If you don’t think she would have taken the job last August it’s your right to think that but it’s not likely.

Again we punted a women’s basketball season completely last year. Recruiting wise and competition wise.

Wildhack’s handling of women’s basketball was ignorant at best. He is the AD when the whole team transfers practically in March maybe he should have been a lot more proactive. The Athletic got Q fired.

Give me a break it took from March to August for Hillsman to resign.

The interim HC we had last year was part of the toxic culture under Q.
Can you provide specific examples of this?

Can you provide specific examples of this?

You think an assistant college basketball coach on the current staff wasn’t aware of the complaints of the players?

Q is the HC you think his associate HC and top assistant had no clue about the toxic culture?
It was all the HC? Cmon man use common sense. There is little doubt he had a front row seat to all the abuse Q dished out.

The women’s team did play hard for a portion of this season beating Ohio State but keeping Vonn Read as the interim HC wasn’t a smart decision when the complaints were about the HC and abuse.

No inside knowledge here, but is it also possible both sides (SU and Legette) wanted to see the fallout from Q before inking a deal?

I know as a head coach I wouldn't want to sign on for a job if there were possible infractions or disciplinary actions forthcoming...

Let the dust settle and then strike a deal once a full investigation was completed thoroughly.

One thing I can say about JW is that everything he has done in regards to major decisions has been very methodical and he doesn't make impulse decisions. Just my 2 cents

You think an assistant college basketball coach on the current staff wasn’t aware of the complaints of the players?

Q is the HC you think his associate HC and top assistant had no clue about the toxic culture?
It was all the HC? Cmon man use common sense. There is little doubt he had a front row seat to all the abuse Q dished out.

The women’s team did play hard for a portion of this season beating Ohio State but keeping Vonn Read as the interim HC wasn’t a smart decision when the complaints were about the HC and abuse.
Being on the staff is not the same as “being a part of” the problem. I don’t know how he interacted with them. I’m guessing you don’t either. Perhaps he was their advocate.

Obviously there was a problem. The specifics and depth. I don’t claim to know. But sometimes a more thorough and deliberate response is better than reaction rashly.

I’m very pleased SU hired FLJ. I’m guessing you are too. I’m also pleased with many of the things Wildhack has done. I’m guessing you are not.

I’ll leave it there.

So I will try again.
Wow. So what. Are opinions that don’t pretend everything isn’t awesome and are actually backed up with support not allowed.
Of course they are.

Posts that criticize this board's moderation are not.

Just the way it is.

80E2AF7D-8DE3-43AD-B257-D6C6184624AF.gif

You are throwing words out there to spin for Wildhack.
What was tougher than normal?
Why wasn’t it straightforward.

We had a cpach fired for a toxic culture and kept an assistant from that toxic culture to coach in a year we basically tanked.

Recruiting was wasted and the team had bad culture.

FLJ wanted the job last August.
We didn’t hire her then.
Then hired her after a wasted year.

Yeah sorry it was a bad job by the AD.

You're foul hunting.

No inside knowledge here, but is it also possible both sides (SU and Legette) wanted to see the fallout from Q before inking a deal?

I know as a head coach I wouldn't want to sign on for a job if there were possible infractions or disciplinary actions forthcoming...

Let the dust settle and then strike a deal once a full investigation was completed thoroughly.

One thing I can say about JW is that everything he has done in regards to major decisions has been very methodical and he doesn't make impulse decisions. Just my 2 cents

Agree. If you want to criticize Wildhack for not knowing what was going on under his watch, ok.

But once all that was exposed, I agree with giving FLJ some time to let it all become old news. And I bet she wanted the same.

Did it set the progress back a year? Sure. But scandals tend to do that anyway.

Fresh start.

Agree. If you want to criticize Wildhack for not knowing what was going on under his watch, ok.

But once all that was exposed, I agree with giving FLJ some time to let it all become old news. And I bet she wanted the same.

Did it set the progress back a year? Sure. But scandals tend to do that anyway.

Fresh start.
Being the type of person FLJ is she wouldn't have come last year anyways. She would not have left her players that she had recruited. Had the timing been in the spring where she had time to let her team know, then probably.
And that is what makes her special, and why so many other coaches like Dawn Staley respect her.

To follow on the thoughts of baggerbob Things didn't go that well for Coach Jack at Indiana. I think the job at Buffalo offered her the opportunity to restart her career. Based on the well wishes from the administration at Buffalo and all the tweets from former players, assistants and current/former Women's Head Basketball Coaches you can tell that FLJ is someone who is thought of highly.

There is a trait that some people possess. It's called Fidelity. I think that Coach Jack felt a loyalty and responsibility to Buffalo, her team and the young ladies that she had just recruited. If you read through all those good wishes congratulating her and SU I think you might understand why she wouldn't have taken the Syracuse job last August, because of the gratitude for the opportunity given to her by Buffalo and the love for her players.

And if she had taken the job at Syracuse last August and left Buffalo and her players high and dry I would probably think of her in the same way that I do another SU alum who jumped on a plane right after a football game without telling his players that he had taken a new job.

To follow on the thoughts of baggerbob Things didn't go that well for Coach Jack at Indiana. I think the job at Buffalo offered her the opportunity to restart her career. Based on the well wishes from the administration at Buffalo and all the tweets from former players, assistants and current/former Women's Head Basketball Coaches you can tell that FLJ is someone who is thought of highly.

There is a trait that some people possess. It's called Fidelity. I think that Coach Jack felt a loyalty and responsibility to Buffalo, her team and the young ladies that she had just recruited. If you read through all those good wishes congratulating her and SU I think you might understand why she wouldn't have taken the Syracuse job last August, because of the gratitude for the opportunity given to her by Buffalo and the love for her players.

And if she had taken the job at Syracuse last August and left Buffalo and her players high and dry I would probably think of her in the same way that I do another SU alum who jumped on a plane right after a football game without telling his players that he had taken a new job.
Spot on!

Ironic because he went to Buffalo

Being on the staff is not the same as “being a part of” the problem. I don’t know how he interacted with them. I’m guessing you don’t either. Perhaps he was their advocate.

Obviously there was a problem. The specifics and depth. I don’t claim to know. But sometimes a more thorough and deliberate response is better than reaction rashly.

I’m very pleased SU hired FLJ. I’m guessing you are too. I’m also pleased with many of the things Wildhack has done. I’m guessing you are not.

I’ll leave it there.
I am interested to hear your thoughts on the Penn State scandal.

I am interested to hear your thoughts on the Penn State scandal.
The Penn State scandal has been investigated and discussed here in great detail. As I said above, I don’t know what really happened on the women’s bball team or what part Hillsman’s assistants may have played.

Is there something specific you need to know?

Bingo.

The Penn State scandal has been investigated and discussed here in great detail. As I said above, I don’t know what really happened on the women’s bball team or what part Hillsman’s assistants may have played.

Is there something specific you need to know?
Paterno had always claimed not to know about what Sandusky was up to. Should he have been fired? Schiano also claimed he didn’t know what went on, should his being on that staff have been held against him for the Tenn job? Not really asking much as they are moot questions, but I feel like a defense of anyone on Q’s staff because “we don’t know what they might not have known” is akin to defending Paterno or Schiano, or anyone else on that staff. I also feel it doesn’t reflect well on Wildhack for the record that he didn’t know, or that he retained the guy to be HC last season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom