There are definitely some feelers being sent out | Syracusefan.com

There are definitely some feelers being sent out

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
by the University right now with regard to the HC job, I think most believe Doug will be leaving if/ when offered an NFL job. Not looking good for retaining HCDM how much of the staff stays leaves obvioulsy TBD

by the University right now with regard to the HC job, I think most believe Doug will be leaving if/ when offered an NFL job. Not looking good for retaining HCDM how much of the staff stays leaves obvioulsy TBD

Any ideas on who they are looking at?

As it should be. Also if Doug does land his dream and return to the NFL that can only help SU. We will be fine and in the long run we will end up with a new practice facility that will blow people away. Doug leaving has more about his own issues and goals than it does about Syracuse falling short on promises. As i have posted my strong choice is Shafer. I think that Scott is a great football mind, I know that he has the respect of the team and that he is well respected across the country by coaches at all levels. I see no reason to go outside with this hire. The staff as much as Doug has been responsible for our success. I also think that Hack given a proper bump in pay would stick around another couple of years

Actually, word is he is staying. Couple of things:

1. How committed is HCDM if SU commits long term to him (meaning 5 year contract extension as University cannot be embarrassed by him leaving next year if contract extension is publically announced).
2. What is said at press conference to limit damage already done

Since interviews have been already arranged, he cannot back out of them so we have to wait. If offered by NFL, he must accept. The wheels have been set in motion. I was hoping for a press conference pre NFL interviews but too late for that.

I still can't figure out who is going to hire him.

I think at the end of the day marrone will have his choice of a couple teams... Marrone took over the worst BCS team in the country and has turned them back to respectability. Marrone also has spent significant time in the NFL and understands the program, etc. Do you honestly think that Chip Kelly is better suited to take over as an NFL coach or Brian Kelly for that matter than Marrone. At the end of the day, he will interview very well and knows his when it comes to running an NFL teams as a whole. He worked under argubaly the best coach in the NFL and has now got HC experience. The NFL isn't about facilities or recruiting, it's about coaching. Sure Marrone has had a few brainfarts but a lot of those have been erroring on the side of caution which is NFL nature to begin with...

I would not be surprised at all if Cleveland hires him very soon

How about Mario Cristobal as a candidate. He runs a spread offense, played 4 years at miami, won two championships, is known as an A+ recruiter especially in Fl and Jersey. I know his 27-49 FIU record is nothing great, but I, don't know, what do you guys think?

I am assuming doug takes Schaf or Hack.

I think at the end of the day marrone will have his choice of a couple teams... Marrone took over the worst BCS team in the country and has turned them back to respectability. Marrone also has spent significant time in the NFL and understands the program, etc. Do you honestly think that Chip Kelly is better suited to take over as an NFL coach or Brian Kelly for that matter than Marrone. At the end of the day, he will interview very well and knows his **** when it comes to running an NFL teams as a whole. He worked under argubaly the best coach in the NFL and has now got HC experience. The NFL isn't about facilities or recruiting, it's about coaching. Sure Marrone has had a few brainfarts but a lot of those have been erroring on the side of caution which is NFL nature to begin with...

marrone's 4 punts (at least) inside the other teams 40 this year are a double whammy - they make me crazy and they appeal to GMs of terrible NFL teams

seriously though, a bad NFL team is in for a rude awakening when he turtles up and whiteknuckles when he sees how much better the good teams are. "i thought we were getting a 500 ypg guy no fair!"

There are definitely some feelers being sent out

by the University right now with regard to the HC job,
And how do you know this? Who has said they've been felt up by the feelers?

As for the staff, unless someone like Hackett is named HC, most staff will be gone. Most of these guys who were recruiting, saying "Come play for me" will be out.

I think at the end of the day marrone will have his choice of a couple teams... Marrone took over the worst BCS team in the country and has turned them back to respectability. Marrone also has spent significant time in the NFL and understands the program, etc. Do you honestly think that Chip Kelly is better suited to take over as an NFL coach or Brian Kelly for that matter than Marrone. At the end of the day, he will interview very well and knows his **** when it comes to running an NFL teams as a whole. He worked under argubaly the best coach in the NFL and has now got HC experience. The NFL isn't about facilities or recruiting, it's about coaching. Sure Marrone has had a few brainfarts but a lot of those have been erroring on the side of caution which is NFL nature to begin with...

I have a client that spent his entire life in major college football and the NFL. Has two super bowl rings from his time as an Asst GM. Love speaking with him about college football and NFL football.

I was talking to him this morning about the Cleveland interview. First words out of his mouth were Marrone would be an idiot to take that job. Second words out of his mouth were Marrone would be an idiot to have anything to do with the Jets...

1. How committed is HCDM if SU commits long term to him (meaning 5 year contract extension as University cannot be embarrassed by him leaving next year if contract extension is publically announced).

Since interviews have been already arranged, he cannot back out of them so we have to wait. If offered by NFL, he must accept. The wheels have been set in motion. I was hoping for a press conference pre NFL interviews but too late for that.

Why can't he back out of them? How is that disrespectful to the NFL team? It's better than going trough with them if you knew this was for leverage. (not that I think it was).

More importantly, if he does stay, are we going to be playing this game every January?

How about Mario Cristobal as a candidate. He runs a spread offense, played 4 years at miami, won two championships, is known as an A+ recruiter especially in Fl and Jersey. I know his 27-49 FIU record is nothing great, but I, don't know, what do you guys think?

I am assuming doug takes Schaf or Hack.
He would be in my top 3 list of candidates. Program builder.

I don't think he will get hired by any NFL team. Yet

he is staying but if offered an NFL job he will leave? Of course he is...He is interviewing right now. What I do know is Syracuse is out kicking the tires... Maybe it's just in case, I don't know but they certainly are looking, that I know to be 100% accurate. I will say this, Marrone has a lot of respect amongst his peers for the job he has done at Syracuse, a lot. I have learned that football coaches are some of the biggest whores in the world, they are always networking, coordinators trying to become head coaches, head coaches looking for bigger gigs, position coaches looking for coordinator spots... I guess it's the way all business works

I would be fine with Shafer or Hackett but who knows who will leave or stay, etc

So said he is staying but offered an NFL job he will leave? He is interviewing right now. I don't know how that makes sense. What I do know is Syracuse is out kicking the tires... Maybe it's just in case, I don't know but they certainly are looking, that I know to be 100% accurate. I will say this, Marrone has a lot of respect amongst his peers for the job he has done at Syracuse, a lot. I have learned that football coaches are some of the biggest whores in the world, they are always networking, coordinators trying to become head coaches, head coaches looking for bigger gigs, position coaches looking for coordinator spots... I guess it's the way all business works

I would be fine with Shafer or Hackett but who knows who will leave or stay, etc
SU would be crazy not to kick the tires. At least they are being proactive on something

Why can't he back out of them? How is that disrespectful to the NFL team? It's better than going trough with them if you knew this was for leverage. (not that I think it was).

More importantly, if he does stay, are we going to be playing this game every January?

That's exactly what the University needs is commitment both ways - it can't be one sided. Regarding the NFL I would say its a big no no once you agree and it becomes public knowledge.

The feelers are the back up plan as none were formally in place and this was a sudden shock to everyone over the last month.

I have a client that spent his entire life in major college football and the NFL. Has two super bowl rings from his time as an Asst GM. Love speaking with him about college football and NFL football.

I was talking to him this morning about the Cleveland interview. First words out of his mouth were Marrone would be an idiot to take that job. Second words out of his mouth were Marrone would be an idiot to have anything to do with the Jets...

Why would he say that about the Cleveland job? New owner with a lot of $$$ who is very interested in winning and saw how to do it during his time with the Steelers. A very young team that was competitive in almost every game this year who only has a couple of holes to fill. Their defensive front 7 will be one of the best next year.

If it was still Randy Lerner, the reluctant owner, I would agree, but I really think Haslam is going to re-build the franchise.

And how do you know this? Who has said they've been felt up by the feelers?

As for the staff, unless someone like Hackett is named HC, most staff will be gone. Most of these guys who were recruiting, saying "Come play for me" will be out.

Do you really think that I would disclose that via the internet? Believe me, don't believe me, I could care less... It's 100% accurate though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom