There are definitely some feelers being sent out | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

There are definitely some feelers being sent out

You sound like you're playing for no matter what happens you can say you were right. He can back out of interviews if he has changed his mind and decided to stay at SU and does not have to accept squat. See Chip Kelly last year-Doesn't seem to have hurt him. On the contrary, he's in much greater demand this year.

Ha ha - re reading my post I can see your point but I'm not that way or I would have started my own thread. Personally, I want our university to take a stand and commit itself to football so that we end up having a consistent winning program, win recruiting battles and retain a qualified NFL coach. I Love SU FOOTBALL and I went to every GROB game! How's that?

I believe you are 100% correct - but it's a prudent response by the University because HCDM is interviewing and he interviews really well.

Exactly, I just don't think they want to be caught with there pants down because they will need to act and act very quickly if Marrone leaves... Like I said, I can't imagine he is interviewing for the practice

If you accept the interview, you take the interview. Why not use it as a learning experience? The more that you do, the better you get.

Besides, it looks a lot better from the outside if you interview, get offered, and turn it down, than if you accept an interview, then decline at the last minute. At least, it does, if you ever want to get another interview offer again.

I am in the camp that he interviews, but doesn't get an offer this time. But will get the opportunity again within the next couple years, and will get an offer at that time.

if bills fans didn't revolt over grandma gailey (he looks and sounds more and more like Mama's Family every day), they're not going to revolt over marrone.

bills fans have had it up to here with retreads. smith has one more playoff appearance as a head coach than marrone or I do.

Like whiz-bang, this board, and really, our entire culture, needs more Mama's Family references. I assume you're referring to Mama and not the Ken Berry character.

Well if he is seriously interviewing for another job which I believe, why would the Univ. hitch their wagon to him for another 5 years ? No better options available today ? That's quite possible. Sounds like if he doesn't get the NFL gig this time around he intends to keep trying until he does starting next year because he doesn't really want to be here. I'm OK with that. It just sounds like bridges are being burned in this process. If he does decide to stay what's the message to his employer and the fan base. You're the best I can do right now until something better comes along ? Not very reassuring. Also, if he does stay and has a losing record next year may god have mercy on his soul because if he thinks people have been nasty to date he taint seen proverbial nothing yet.

It just sounds like bridges are being burned in this process.

Yes, there are a lot of people on these boards who will never talk to him again since all these rumors that he is leaving were posted.

Yes, there are a lot of people on these boards who will never talk to him again since all these rumors that he is leaving were posted.

I understand he has a permanent invite to Fine Mess come what may so he's got that going for him.

Francessa keeps bringing up Marrone and the Bears. They want a rookie NFL coach with an offensive background.

Lot of playing both sides against the middle in this thread and others.

Do you really think that I would disclose that via the internet? Believe me, don't believe me, I could care less... It's 100% accurate though

Tell me how you know OR ELSE!!! I am just kidding by the way.

As it should be. Also if Doug does land his dream and return to the NFL that can only help SU. We will be fine and in the long run we will end up with a new practice facility that will blow people away. Doug leaving has more about his own issues and goals than it does about Syracuse falling short on promises. As i have posted my strong choice is Shafer. I think that Scott is a great football mind, I know that he has the respect of the team and that he is well respected across the country by coaches at all levels. I see no reason to go outside with this hire. The staff as much as Doug has been responsible for our success. I also think that Hack given a proper bump in pay would stick around another couple of years

I agree- Shafer

As it should be. Also if Doug does land his dream and return to the NFL that can only help SU. We will be fine and in the long run we will end up with a new practice facility that will blow people away. Doug leaving has more about his own issues and goals than it does about Syracuse falling short on promises. As i have posted my strong choice is Shafer. I think that Scott is a great football mind, I know that he has the respect of the team and that he is well respected across the country by coaches at all levels. I see no reason to go outside with this hire. The staff as much as Doug has been responsible for our success. I also think that Hack given a proper bump in pay would stick around another couple of years

If the real dream was an NFL HC job, why in the world would he have ever taken this job, he was already on that track?

You sound like you're playing for no matter what happens you can say you were right. He can back out of interviews if he has changed his mind and decided to stay at SU and does not have to accept squat. See Chip Kelly last year-Doesn't seem to have hurt him. On the contrary, he's in much greater demand this year.
Kelly interviewed, then turned down the offer. That's the result of a full negotiation, probably including counter offers from UO. Much different than messing with the NFL teams logistics by making them set aside time for you, then leaving them hanging while competing teams are meeting with their other candidates.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7492379/chip-kelly-oregon-ducks-passes-tampa-bay-buccaneers-offer

DM isn't going to have a change of heart this week, he's likely devoting all his time to preparing for the interviews with each team. Doubtful he's in contact with TGD at all.

Actually, word is he is staying. Couple of things:

1. How committed is HCDM if SU commits long term to him (meaning 5 year contract extension as University cannot be embarrassed by him leaving next year if contract extension is publically announced).
2. What is said at press conference to limit damage already done

Since interviews have been already arranged, he cannot back out of them so we have to wait. If offered by NFL, he must accept. The wheels have been set in motion. I was hoping for a press conference pre NFL interviews but too late for that.
Unfortunately I must have missed reading comprehension...'cause this makes no sense to me...it is contradictory. On one hand you say "word is he is staying"...then proceed to say 'if offered by NFL he must accept"
Seems as if you have it covered both ways...please tell me what i am missing.

Unfortunately I must have missed reading comprehension...'cause this makes no sense to me...it is contradictory. On one hand you say "word is he is staying"...then proceed to say 'if offered by NFL he must accept"

I believe he is trying to say it would be rude of Doug to back out at this point. However, he is not going into the interview trying to blow anyone's socks off. If he stumbles into an offer then he must accept it, but if not he has a deal worked out with the university. That's just my loose translation.

if he ever has hopes of being HCNFL, he will not blow an interview on purpose. He could well never get another opportunity again. Who purposely paints themselves into a corner?!?

Never happen. Don't know him personally, but he seems to be way too professional to do that.

On the other hand, just because he gets an offer, does not mean he has to accept.

Honestly I keep hearing conflicting reports so I don't know what to believe anymore and have been laying low and waiting for "official" word.

It's a big mess and we just need to look to the media reports - how can the post standard report that the interviews are rumors and ESPN reporting he is interviewing? If the media can't get it right with their sources, how can anyone here post that they know what's going on now?

If DM stays, he and TGD have a lot that they need to explain and clarify.

Does anybody think that if Marrone comes back he will be a little tainted and everyone will just expect him to leave the next season for an NFL job? I love Marrone but if he comes back will that tone down the excitement that is actually starting to build around the program because everyone will expect he has his foot out the door?

This situation is weird to me but I am certainly watching intently because I have always been on the Marrone bandwagon.

Kelly interviewed, then turned down the offer. That's the result of a full negotiation, probably including counter offers from UO. Much different than messing with the NFL teams logistics by making them set aside time for you, then leaving them hanging while competing teams are meeting with their other candidates.
Kelly also had to way a possible run at a BCS championship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom