There are definitely some feelers being sent out | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

There are definitely some feelers being sent out

he is staying but if offered an NFL job he will leave? Of course he is...He is interviewing right now. What I do know is Syracuse is out kicking the tires... Maybe it's just in case, I don't know but they certainly are looking, that I know to be 100% accurate. I will say this, Marrone has a lot of respect amongst his peers for the job he has done at Syracuse, a lot. I have learned that football coaches are some of the biggest whores in the world, they are always networking, coordinators trying to become head coaches, head coaches looking for bigger gigs, position coaches looking for coordinator spots... I guess it's the way all business works

I would be fine with Shafer or Hackett but who knows who will leave or stay, etc

He he really take either to the NFL as a coordinator? I not so sure about that.

i you read the nfl stuff.

dont see Arizona happening.
dont see bills happening.
chicago has no interview yet.
i think the browns really want kelly.
KC sounds like done already

that leaves eagles/chargers and no interview lined up..

I only see bills/browns as options and I think both fan bases would revolt and really think Smith ends up at one of them.

Why would he say that about the Cleveland job? New owner with a lot of $$$ who is very interested in winning and saw how to do it during his time with the Steelers. A very young team that was competitive in almost every game this year who only has a couple of holes to fill. Their defensive front 7 will be one of the best next year.

If it was still Randy Lerner, the reluctant owner, I would agree, but I really think Haslam is going to re-build the franchise.

no GM hired yet was the reason... Once they get a GM then you can evaluate whether its a good fit, etc. What if you take the job and then don't like the guy they hire as GM.

He did say Doug should take every interview offered to him.

i you read the nfl stuff.

dont see Arizona happening.
dont see bills happening.
chicago has no interview yet.
i think the browns really want kelly.
KC sounds like done already

that leaves eagles/chargers and no interview lined up..

I only see bills/browns as options and I think both fan bases would revolt and really think Smith ends up at one of them.

if bills fans didn't revolt over grandma gailey (he looks and sounds more and more like Mama's Family every day), they're not going to revolt over marrone.

bills fans have had it up to here with retreads. smith has one more playoff appearance as a head coach than marrone or I do.

Why can't he back out of them? How is that disrespectful to the NFL team? It's better than going trough with them if you knew this was for leverage. (not that I think it was).

More importantly, if he does stay, are we going to be playing this game every January?

If he backs out, it will severly limit how hard he gets looked at in the future as an NFL head coach.

IMHO the interviews now aren't to get a job but more to put the screws to the school for them to make a commitment to the program over the next few years or they will lose out on their coach.

Pretty much proving he's got options IF the school doesn't give him the support that he was likely promised when taking the job in the first place.

Do you really think that I would disclose that via the internet? Believe me, don't believe me, I could care less... It's 100% accurate though

I believe you are 100% correct - but it's a prudent response by the University because HCDM is interviewing and he interviews really well.

Actually, word is he is staying. Couple of things:

1. How committed is HCDM if SU commits long term to him (meaning 5 year contract extension as University cannot be embarrassed by him leaving next year if contract extension is publically announced).
2. What is said at press conference to limit damage already done

Since interviews have been already arranged, he cannot back out of them so we have to wait. If offered by NFL, he must accept. The wheels have been set in motion. I was hoping for a press conference pre NFL interviews but too late for that.

You sound like you're playing for no matter what happens you can say you were right. He can back out of interviews if he has changed his mind and decided to stay at SU and does not have to accept squat. See Chip Kelly last year-Doesn't seem to have hurt him. On the contrary, he's in much greater demand this year.

That's exactly what the University needs is commitment both ways - it can't be one sided. Regarding the NFL I would say its a big no no once you agree and it becomes public knowledge.

The feelers are the back up plan as none were formally in place and this was a sudden shock to everyone over the last month.
If true, thats great news. Assuming an NFL team doesn't offer. To me it just sounds like a part of your story (assuming accurate) is missing. People agree to high profile interviews all the time only to back out prior to them. How can this be held against him? (ie. family issues etc.)

The way your passing this along it sounds like he views his current position as a 2nd rate backup plan. i.e. a recruit commiting to Syracuse as long as he doesn't have a Florida offer in hand (you see what I did there, haha)

Do you really think that I would disclose that via the internet? Believe me, don't believe me, I could care less... It's 100% accurate though
What better place to disclose it? You have no issue reporting your teaser on the internet.

He would be in my top 3 list of candidates. Program builder.

I am thinking the same, he would still play regularly in the the south east, atlantic coast, thats his differentiator to his miami connections. Come to SU, get out of Miami and Florida. See Geno S and Teddy B.

He did say Doug should take every interview offered to him.

As most people would. That's what surprises me about all the doomsday talk. He's gotta interview for an NFL job even if he doesn't want it now and yes, if he does.

he is staying but if offered an NFL job he will leave? Of course he is...He is interviewing right now. What I do know is Syracuse is out kicking the tires... Maybe it's just in case, I don't know but they certainly are looking, that I know to be 100% accurate. I will say this, Marrone has a lot of respect amongst his peers for the job he has done at Syracuse, a lot. I have learned that football coaches are some of the biggest whores in the world, they are always networking, coordinators trying to become head coaches, head coaches looking for bigger gigs, position coaches looking for coordinator spots... I guess it's the way all business works

I would be fine with Shafer or Hackett but who knows who will leave or stay, etc
IB, I don't think it makes someone a whore to network. If you don't sell yourself, you may wait a long time before someone else does it for you. As for Syracuse, they should have been looking before this. I bet if you asked Bob Kraft who he would hire if Bill B quit he would have three names right off the bat.

if bills fans didn't revolt over grandma gailey (he looks and sounds more and more like Mama's Family every day), they're not going to revolt over marrone.

bills fans have had it up to here with retreads. smith has one more playoff appearance as a head coach than marrone or I do.

Not sure what you mean with that bolded part. Lovie has 3 playoff appearances and one Super Bowl appearance. Granted, 3 playoff appearances in 9 years as a head coach is nothing to applaud though.

The one thing the Bills haven't seen is a college head coach moving up. So yeah, I can't imagine anyone getting too upset over Marrone instead of a recently fired NFL head coach.

And no, I don't count Gailey in this, because getting fired from your college job first, then getting an NFL job later, doesn't count. Just another reason I slapped my giant forehead when I heard they hired him. There was no other way that it was going to end.

Cristobal would be a great choice to bring in if Hackett leaves, which I really hope doesn't happen. he would help us recruit Florida and NJ, especially after Flood gets fired after next year.

marrone's 4 punts (at least) inside the other teams 40 this year appeals are a double whammy - they make me crazy and they appeal to GMs of terrible NFL teams

You've got my vote as tomcats special teams coordinator. It would be nice to have that extra schollie by not having a punter on the roster.

Not sure what you mean with that bolded part. Lovie has 3 playoff appearances and one Super Bowl appearance. Granted, 3 playoff appearances in 9 years as a head coach is nothing to applaud though.

one is the new three

sorry about that. i think it was 1 in 6 years, now that i think about it.

I don't want names, but do you know are these guys current assistaants, NFLers, mid major HC's?

IB, I don't think it makes someone a whore to network. If you don't sell yourself, you may wait a long time before someone else does it for you. As for Syracuse, they should have been looking before this. I bet if you asked Bob Kraft who he would hire if Bill B quit he would have three names right off the bat.

Understood,, you are 100% right, I was jut kind of poking fun and find it amusing is these coaches gossip behind the scenes like old ladies I find it amazing how quickly word travels and if one hears that somebody they worked for or know will contact said coach looking for a bump, but you are right it makes 100% good business sense. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Actually, word is he is staying. Couple of things:

1. How committed is HCDM if SU commits long term to him (meaning 5 year contract extension as University cannot be embarrassed by him leaving next year if contract extension is publically announced).
2. What is said at press conference to limit damage already done

Since interviews have been already arranged, he cannot back out of them so we have to wait. If offered by NFL, he must accept. The wheels have been set in motion. I was hoping for a press conference pre NFL interviews but too late for that.

this doesnt make sense - why can't he say "hey, thx for look but ive decied to stay at SU" why does he "have to accept and he cant cancel interviews??

What better place to disclose it? You have no issue reporting your teaser on the internet.

Yes but not the source, come on dude surely you can't be serious?

You sound like you're playing for no matter what happens you can say you were right. He can back out of interviews if he has changed his mind and decided to stay at SU and does not have to accept squat. See Chip Kelly last year-Doesn't seem to have hurt him. On the contrary, he's in much greater demand this year.
With all of this talk about how well Marrone interviews, he has only one head coaching job and lets be honest, he was far from our first choice.

by the University right now with regard to the HC job, I think most believe Doug will be leaving if/ when offered an NFL job. Not looking good for retaining HCDM how much of the staff stays leaves obvioulsy TBD

I have been told by someone who I consider pretty reliable that if Doug goes he's definitely taking Shafer with him. Who knows though? Things change from minute to minute it seems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom