There has never been a more house money game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

There has never been a more house money game

Actually, if you look closely, on paper it’s a very close game, the one big variable is the home field. We don’t know how these guys will react to hostile environment.
Only the first and second year players have not been in Death Valley, if I recall. We played there two years ago, I believe.

You’re really going to argue against a CFP appearance helping recruiting? “Didn’t know how to develop” What? Garrett Williams was rated barely inside the top 2000 as a recruit, and he’s turned into a top 5 corner in the nation. Garrett Shrader was a WR 2 years ago and our coaches have developed him into a 70%+ passer who throws a very tight ball. You really think we’re 6-0 right now if we couldn’t develop players? We’re 6-0 because we’re getting the best out of our 2/3 star players that nobody else wanted. Our defense is riddled with injuries and we have the highest rated defense in the conference. That’s coaching, and that’s also a big part of recruiting.
(Psssst...I was adding to your argument, not detracting from your argument. I agree with you, if we win out we should want to play in the playoffs, it benefits no matter wat and the kids have earned.)

Yeah hes been good recently. Clemson has looked better than they have since 2019 or so too.

But we play these guys annually and typically give them a game there is nothing on thier side that worries me and I think our guys will be insanely jacked up for this one. I didn't mean to put Clemson down either I just really feel great about Syracuse bringing it and playing an amazing game.

It's a big point about playing these guys annually (and they've been close games.) No one on our team is intimidated. Most of these games against these opponents the game is over getting off the bus because of the intimidation factor. No so here.

Last edited:
than this next game.

I hope they throw everything at the game plan and steal the win.

Win, wow ,

if not at least compete and they are 50/50 at worst every game going forward
They won’t win, but really want to avoid a blowout for the all-important national perception for the bulk who won’t watch the game.

How do 3 way tie breakers work? We beat Clemson, Clemson beat Wake, Wake beats Syracuse. I assume there's a Clemson wins all tiebreakers rule.

They won’t win, but really want to avoid a blowout for the all-important national perception for the bulk who won’t watch the game.
I would agree that a win isn’t likely, to say we won’t win ….. 3 of last 4 games ( minus Covid) have went to the last minute, I’d say that’s filed under “glass half empty “ thinking.

1666182639074.gif

we already know the streak should be over we had them before during this streak.
Just want it to be a competitive game coming down to the end with a chance to win.
Then finish the season with 5 more wins and go 11-1 get the orange bowl spot.

I don’t think we will win this game, love this team but we are banged up and have no idea how Garrett and Duce are doing, may not have at least Garrett. Our offense shoots itself in the foot a lot with false starts etc and that is with 5 home games and a virtual home game at U Conn. Death Valley crowd? Yikes.

All that being said this is a well balanced SU team and we often give Clemson trouble, so why the hell not? Plus we need to shut up my favorite bowl forecaster at 2-4-7 who called us overrated this morning while picking Clemson in his weekly picks. He can rot in hell, go SU!!

Biggest caviar dream for me is the orange bowl this season. Not sure if I would want the playoffs if even given the opportunity. Would be embarrassing to go up against any of the top 3.
Lamest of lame. Just getting there would be a massive boon to the program. Lots of teams get embarrassed by Ohio St and Bama. Oklahoma did, Oregon did, etc.

Also - if we beat Clemson at Clemson and win out*? I’ll take our players side: “they have to play us too”

It’s like a 7% chance. At the beginning of the season I think we had a 1% of winning the ACC. Dream a bit.

Not sure if I would want the playoffs if even given the opportunity.
I…. can’t get my head around this sentence. If we lost by 60 points to Georgia in the playoffs, so be it.

WE WOULD HAVE MADE THE CFP.

Think of all the big-time programs that haven't made it yet: USC, A&M, Texas, Auburn, Florida, Va Tech, Miami, Tennessee, etc. etc.

Last edited:
I think it was 20% capacity (Covid)

Yeah I think there's only a small handful of guys that were on the roster the last time we played a true Death Valley road game in 2018. Szmyt, Coley, Okechukwu, Vettorello, Bolinsky, Elmore (who won't be playing) and maybe one or two others that I'm missing.

Totally house money. If we win, it is one of the biggest wins in SU history. If we lose but are competitive (and no additional injuries), c'est la vie and we move on to win a bunch more. We would also gain some national respect because we take a big step up in weight class on Saturday vs our previous games.

The only downside is if we were to get blown out. It would give ammunition to the national observers who feel we aren't for real. Even then, we put it in the rearview mirror, we move on, and beat some more teams.

Even at worst, I don't see a blowout and I think we will be competitive. Long odds on a win perhaps, but this team has fought through adversity, mistakes, and kept their cool in close finishes. Time to show the rest of the football world what our team is made of. The players live for the chance to play in games like this. GO ORANGE!

You’re really going to argue against a CFP appearance helping recruiting? “Didn’t know how to develop” What? Garrett Williams was rated barely inside the top 2000 as a recruit, and he’s turned into a top 5 corner in the nation. Garrett Shrader was a WR 2 years ago and our coaches have developed him into a 70%+ passer who throws a very tight ball. You really think we’re 6-0 right now if we couldn’t develop players? We’re 6-0 because we’re getting the best out of our 2/3 star players that nobody else wanted. Our defense is riddled with injuries and we have the highest rated defense in the conference. That’s coaching, and that’s also a big part of recruiting.
Not sure you interpreted the prior post correctly.

Clemson won’t need to dial up anything fancy. Their game plan is to let their superior athletes make plays. 5-yard catch becomes a 50-yard run. That kind of thing.

We’d absolutely need something random to work in our favor. Last time we almost pulled the upset down there, they had a quarterback controversy all week and knocked sunshine out of the game. Short of that happening, maybe the best we can hope for is lots of unforced turnovers and maybe the Clemson players get a nasty bout of flu that spreads around this week.
let the team play their best game, This game doesn’t need Syracuse getting lucky for them to win, they are a group has proven they fight through adversity and reducing them to needing a bunch of lucky breaks like the flu to win this game is disingenuous. I don’t think they win it, but they certainly can even if all of clemson’s players play.

I'm waiting for the end around to Villari with him throwing long. That has to be SOMEWHERE in our playbook.
Yea Robert A has not unleashed too much in the gimmick play dept. Pretty accomplished QB, would like to see it. A trick play TD and a Pick 6 and the odds are evened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom