There is a reason Doug hasnot received an extension yet | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

There is a reason Doug hasnot received an extension yet

From the horse's mouth:
"We had a chance to make some plays and get it closer early," Syracuse coach Doug Marrone said. "That has been the problem since I've been here. We've been hurting ourselves."

I'm not saying I hope this happens, but this sounds to me like a guy who is discouraged and considering stepping down.

I'll repeat what he said to me and a few others before he had coached his first game. If I don't get this turned around and get the fans back in 5 years, I will step down.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'll repeat what he said to me and a few others before he had coached his first game. If I don't get this turned around and get the fans back in 5 years, I will step down.

The only reason why I don't want this to be true is because I don't want TGD hiring another FB coach. Nothing against TGD, I just see the potential for Pitt like turmoil post-Wannstache due to the change in administration in 2014.

We are screwed... but I see us winning the next two.

I see us beating USF, UConn and Temple. We beat either Mizzou or Louisville.

As I posted earlier this week, I think that is the formula also. I wanted to win 2 of 3 to get to 4-4, beat temple and steal one of the other 3. Today's loss makes it tougher, but I was expecting that this could be the one we lose going in.

This board, as all sports forums are, is a train wreck immediately following the game. To be expected and I get the anger but we did come into this game a 7 point dog. That's basically what happened. The punishment doesn't seem to be fitting the crime on this particular meltdown.

Now if we were ever to lose to Uconn on Friday, then we can all have at it. Personally, This loss didn't bother me nearly as much as the Minnesota loss. It's frustrating to see us lose games that we think we should win, but atleast we are at the point where we expect to win these. We actually moved the ball a bit and our defense was excellent again.

Nobody said it would be easy, but I think we are going to come out and beat Uconn to get the board off the ledge which will set up a gigantic game down in Tampa which will determine our season.

A lot of ball to be played yet. Let's see how the kids respond. If they don't respond, then HCDM will be held accountable and relieved of his duties. For the record, I believe they will respond (6-6)

might as well hire a new a.d as well. You can't have two bad hires.

Gross is fine. Actually, better than fine. Football landscape changed ten years ago. Who has been relevant in the NE in Football in the last 10 years? No one.

Not saying you specifically because I know this doesn't apply to you. But some people on this board need to go live or visit some places where college football actually matters. Then the will see the difference.

44cuse

From the horse's mouth:
"We had a chance to make some plays and get it closer early," Syracuse coach Doug Marrone said. "That has been the problem since I've been here. We've been hurting ourselves."

I'm not saying I hope this happens, but this sounds to me like a guy who is discouraged and considering stepping down.

I have said before on this site. Marrone will not force the university to fire him. He will resign and go back to the NFL.

To quote Marrone from a luncheon last year. "Coaches are paid to do one thing. Win football games and I won't be coaching this team in the ACC if we don't start winning."

I'm not happy with the team (no one is) but I'm not going to make judgement on Marrone until the end of the season. We're still mathematically in it for a bowl. If we get to 9 losses (which would be his worst season), I think Marrone should be let go.

However, I also think that if we get to 7 losses (bowl ineligible), he should start playing all the underclassmen - particularly the QBs. There's nothing else to play for except getting valuable game experience. There in lies the dilemma, should Marrone look to the future and play the youngsters or stick with the seniors and fight on to eek out another meaningless win or two to pad his record and save his job?

I'm not happy with the team (no one is) but I'm not going to make judgement on Marrone until the end of the season. We're still mathematically in it for a bowl. If we get to 9 losses (which would be his worst season), I think Marrone should be let go.

However, I also think that if we get to 7 losses (bowl ineligible), he should start playing all the underclassmen - particularly the QBs. There's nothing else to play for except getting valuable game experience. There in lies the dilemma, should Marrone look to the future and play the youngsters or stick with the seniors and fight on to eek out another meaningless win or two to pad his record and save his job?

You have to be careful there too. It's one thing to get some PT for the younger guys, but if you just tell all the seniors to take a seat, we're getting ready for next year...that could hurt recruiting, because teams don't do that.

By all accounts this years recruiting class is small. I think we can take about 18. This is the year to make the change if we are going to do so. If not i would force Doug to hire a new OC. I like Hack so possibly he is retained as a position coach. I also feel that Doug needs to swallow actually gulp down his stubborn pride and hire or assign one coach to Specials. IF he had hired a capable OC and IF he had paid true attention to Special teams our record could easily be 4-2. Doug is a good CEO he is a a very poor game day coach and our Special teams are as bad as i have ever seen them. Fix those two areas. Focus on the program as a CEO type along with coaching up the Oline and he might save his job. If not show him the door and either bring in a proven head coach with previous college head coaching experiance or elevate Shafer to head coach and let him bring in his guys on the O side. If it were my call i would name shafer head coach as i believe he can do for us what Flood is doing for Rutgers.

He doesn't deserve that 5th year though. I would give him the benefit of the doubt if I saw ANY improvement. We make the same mistakes EVERY YEAR EVERY GAME. This team is flat out-undisciplined and his schtick is old. I want DM to succeed but keeping for that 5th year sets us back another 2 years with the new coaching staff. Nothing DM has done leads me to believe next year would be ANY different, thus you can't set your program back more by keeping him an additional year.

Who is our 2013 Don McPherson?
Not sure, but I'll be happy to watch any of the young QB's progress. Every candidate, including Loeb, is far more athletic than Nassib. It will be refreshing to watch a QB that isn't so one dimensional.

Keep in mind that DMac was injured for much of the first half of the 1987 season. He didn't really start piling up the numbers until the Ped St game. A bye week helped him heal-up.

This entire thread is sooooo 1986.

I hate that people keep bringing up Coach Mac. There is no correlation between the two. It is silly to compare Marrone to Mac. Look at the talent Mac was bringing in. The roster has a bunch of name guys on it back in 1986. We don't have those guys now. In addition Mac had a lot more experience and was a different coach than Marrone. Besides blind faith there is no reason to compare the two. They are not the same people. They don't have the same history. The have not done similar jobs. They don't coach the same way. They are not in similar situations. So why should we expect similar results?

I hate that people keep bringing up CoacIt is silly to compare Marrone to Mac. Look at the talent Mac was bringing in. The roster has a bunch of name guys on it back in 1986. We don't have those guys now. In addition Mac hah Mac. There is no correlation between the two. d a lot more experience and was a different coach than Marrone. Besides blind faith there is no reason to compare the two. They are not the same people. They don't have the same history. The have not done similar jobs. They don't coach the same way. They are not in similar situations. So why should we expect similar results?
HeyKO3...where were you last week after a win? Don't think we heard from you until much later in the week? We can always depend on you, however, to spew your wisdom immediately after a loss.

BTW#1, I choose to look at the positives when comparing eras, whereas, per usual you look at the down side.

BTW#2, in many of your other negative-leaning post, you continuously argue that we have the talent to win. As much as you may try, you can't have it both ways.

Not competitive? That's just flat out not true.
Agree completely. We have been in every game we played in... Saying otherwise is stupid.
Taking pride in being competitive is kinda like when Marrone decides not to take a game away from the kids.

A loss Friday and Marrone wont survive, theres a lot of pressure to win this week coming from certain $$$$ influential people.
There's people with money that support the team??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom