There is a reason Doug hasnot received an extension yet | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

There is a reason Doug hasnot received an extension yet

HeyKO3...where were you last week after a win? Don't think we heard from you until much later in the week? We can always depend on you, however, to spew your wisdom immediately after a loss.

BTW#1, I choose to look at the positives when comparing eras, whereas, per usual you look at the down side.

BTW#2, in many of your other negative-leaning post, you continuously argue that we have the talent to win. As much as you may try, you can't have it both ways.

Ugh. First I posted plenty last week. Second that was an ugly win that Marrone nearly lost his job over. Please give me ONE example of how Mac and Marrone are comparable. Besides the fact that both coach at SU. Marrone has more in common with GRob. It is a joke. BTW you know what is negative? ONE WIN in our last ten 1A games. There is NOTHING positive about that. No way to spin it. Fact is if Marrone hadn't gone to SU, every poster here would be calling for his head. Too many people are being clouded that and ignore his suckitude. Can you give any reason to look forward to next year? I would love to hear the positives right now. The only thing I can find is we are going to the ACC, but that has nothing to do with our play on the field. As to talent stop trying to play games. It is not hard to see my point. What Mac had on his roster was the seedlings to go 11-0. There are no seeds on this roster. I do not think we have the talent to go 11-0 next year. I also do not think we have the talent to go 6-6 next year against that schedule. See the difference? There is Top 5 team talent and then there is make a Bowl talent. Marrone is nowhere near the Top 5 talent. He has this year, against this schedule, 6-6 talent but will fail a second straight year to do so. Marrone has the talent against this weak schedule to get to a Bowl. Instead we are 2-4. That is a huge gap. Our talent is lacking from being a Top 40 team (which is on Marrone BTW). But it is not lacking to make a Bowl. Marrone has the talent to win games. Marrone has the talent to make a Bowl. Marrone doesn't have the talent to finish a season ranked. So see how we can be lacking talent but at the same time be wasting the talent we do have?

Taking pride in being competitive is kinda like when Marrone decides not to take a game away from the kids.

Jesus, it's not a matter of taking pride.

Dopey.

My guess is that Marrone is possibly your John Bunting: the alum who really wants the job but is an NFL guy and never likely to become a 1st rate HC. We kept Bunting 6 years, which was 3 too long, and we are still paying off that debt.

Syracuse needs not merely a winner as a coach, but one who wins in such a way as to draw fans to the Carrier Dome and to sit in front of TV sets across the state, especially in the NYC TV market. I suggest hiring Bobby Petrino.

The man can win, win with flair that draws fans by the droves. He needs a new start, and Syracuse should be able to get him on the cheap, with a signed morals clause.

We're 6-0 in moral victories.

Never wanted to imply that was enough, but saying we aren't competitive is wrong. You're a smart guy NASA, you know that...

Jesus, it's not a matter of taking pride.

Dopey.
Flying spaghetti monster, it sure seems that way to some.

Doc.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Taking pride in being competitive is kinda like when Marrone decides not to take a game away from the kids.

Again, being competitive as crazy as it sounds was not a given four years ago. Now that is surely not enough, and as someone who has gone to most of the games over the last 10 years I can say with certainty that I can no longer Stand the losing. However, I used to go and expect a butt kicking, now I simply wait for us to shoot ourselves in the foot. Progress my friend... I'm a man of low expectations I guess...

My guess is that Marrone is possibly your John Bunting: the alum who really wants the job but is an NFL guy and never likely to become a 1st rate HC. We kept Bunting 6 years, which was 3 too long, and we are still paying off that debt.

Syracuse needs not merely a winner as a coach, but one who wins in such a way as to draw fans to the Carrier Dome and to sit in front of TV sets across the state, especially in the NYC TV market. I suggest hiring Bobby Petrino.

The man can win, win with flair that draws fans by the droves. He needs a new start, and Syracuse should be able to get him on the cheap, with a signed morals clause.

If Marrone had taken over a program that had one losing season in the 10 years before he took over, that might be a good analogy.

Never wanted to imply that was enough, but saying we aren't competitive is wrong. You're a smart guy NASA, you know that...

Being competitive isn't good enough. We need wins, and competitive or not, the one constant we've had since the middle of last season is not getting many of them.

Being competitive isn't good enough. We need wins, and competitive or not, the one constant we've had since the middle of last season is not getting many of them.

I agree with that completely. My stance was only that we were competitive not that that was good enough...

You have to be careful there too. It's one thing to get some PT for the younger guys, but if you just tell all the seniors to take a seat, we're getting ready for next year...that could hurt recruiting, because teams don't do that.

Yeah...I don't want to alienate the seniors either but the risk of losing a potential recruit that MAY get on the field in 2-3 years is the longview that I don't think Marrone has the luxury to assume he has. A lot of you think he's going to get a 5th year, and you may be right, but he shouldn't be coaching with that assumption in mind - unless Gross publicly comes out with a vote of confidence. I think Marrone should be coaching for this and next year (not 2015). That's why he's brought in the JUCOs.

All I'm saying is that once/if we're bowl ineligible, the underclassmen (especially the QB) need to be folded into the game mix.

You have to be careful there too. It's one thing to get some PT for the younger guys, but if you just tell all the seniors to take a seat, we're getting ready for next year...that could hurt recruiting, because teams don't do that.

It is a slippery slope especially in college football but they have to held accountable as well and there are repercussions of not doing your job well.

As for recruiting, wouldn't saying the best play be a good thing? I want a coach that is there to win, not be every bodies friend.

It is a slippery slope especially in college football but they have to held accountable as well and there are repercussions of not doing your job well.

As for recruiting, wouldn't saying the best play be a good thing? I want a coach that is there to win, not be every bodies friend.

Yes they have to be hld accountable but if he coach feels he is playing the best, he isn't going to just bench the seniors because they become bowl ineligible. Get more reps for the younger guys? Sure. But no coach just benches starters to play for next year.

Yes they have to be hld accountable but if he coach feels he is playing the best, he isn't going to just bench the seniors because they become bowl ineligible. Get more reps for the younger guys? Sure. But no coach just benches starters to play for next year.

You're probably right but it's a privilege to play, not a passage of rights. I still firmly believe this team can win any of the next 6 games and I'm rooting beyond rooting that they do but there may come a point if they don't to see if something else can work or look to the future. Maybe as you pointed out with more playing time but since Doug is under fire (message board/fan wise) I doubt he will do such a thing as start young guys. I'd like to see Desir or Eck play FS more though at the very least and let's see what the heck Fleming and Moore can do given a chance.

New chancellor. New AD? New FB HC?
A new Chancellor is coming. Which means Gross must look out for his job. Meaning he can't have a losing football program and an empty carrier dome on gamedays (AKA..money being left on the table). Which is currently what he has. If you don't think this is going through Gross's head you are fooling yourself.

Gross needs to be proactive here and fix the football program BEFORE the new Chancellor comes. Otherwise the new chancellor might hire someone else to fix the football program and send Gross packing.

All you people who think Marrone will resign because he said it one day when he first got here are really fooling yourself. He isn't going to resign, not after this year, not after next. He will be fired or he will keep his job. He ain't quitting. I don't care what he said and when he said it, if you "quit" you will never get hired again in this country as a head coach. And I'm talking at a MAC, Ivy, CUSA, Big West, or some other small school. Nobody wants someone who quits! No small school wants a guy who quits after he has failed. Heck, unless Sean Payton takes him back I am not sure any NFL coach will want a guy who quit in college on his staff. When the going gets tough you quit? Please! That's a terrible character trait. Take your lumps and get fired that is one thing. Lots of coaches get fired, no shame in that. Quitting and walking away at the school you actually went to and you will NEVER LIVE THAT DOWN!

He isn't resigning.

All you people who think Marrone will resign because he said it one day when he first got here are really fooling yourself. He isn't going to resign, not after this year, not after next. He will be fired or he will keep his job. He ain't quitting. I don't care what he said and when he said it, if you "quit" you will never get hired again in this country as a head coach. And I'm talking at a MAC, Ivy, CUSA, Big West, or some other small school. Nobody wants someone who quits! No small school wants a guy who quits after he has failed. Heck, unless Sean Payton takes him back I am not sure any NFL coach will want a guy who quit in college on his staff. When the going gets tough you quit? Please! That's a terrible character trait. Take your lumps and get fired that is one thing. Lots of coaches get fired, no shame in that. Quitting and walking away at the school you actually went to and you will NEVER LIVE THAT DOWN!

He isn't resigning.

Because you said it, it must be true. Some people live by different virtues and obviously some people live by different virtues then you. You've been pretty adamant about this particular point every time it comes up.

No B.S. what are you willing to do if Marrone does in fact resigns?

A new Chancellor is coming. Which means Gross must look out for his job. Meaning he can't have a losing football program and an empty carrier dome on gamedays (AKA..money being left on the table). Which is currently what he has. If you don't think this is going through Gross's head you are fooling yourself.

Gross needs to be proactive here and fix the football program BEFORE the new Chancellor comes. Otherwise the new chancellor might hire someone else to fix the football program and send Gross packing.

If the new chancellor comes in and fires Gross he or she is a fool.

If the new chancellor comes in and fires Gross he or she is a fool.
I strongly disagree with this, Bob. There are just as many reasons to get rid of Gross as there are to get rid of Marrone.

I strongly disagree with this, Bob. There are just as many reasons to get rid of Gross as there are to get rid of Marrone.

I don't understand why? He has drastically improved many sports with good coaches raised a ton of money and helped get us into the ACC. If Jake was still here we'd have Barb Jacobs going 10-20 every year and no female hockey or softball. There must be some secret bad thing going on NYO because I certainly don't see it.

From the horse's mouth:
"We had a chance to make some plays and get it closer early," Syracuse coach Doug Marrone said. "That has been the problem since I've been here. We've been hurting ourselves."

I'm not saying I hope this happens, but this sounds to me like a guy who is discouraged and considering stepping down.

I agree. He really threw himself under the bus a couple weeks ago, too. And I still recall when he told the lunchtime crowd that his original plan was if he didn't turn it around by year 3 he would step down (the was last season, after we had been to a bowl, and were coming off a good start to the season).

It's funny. We all think of Marrone as a lifer at SU, but it seems like he doesn't see himself that way.

Gross has been very good at raising money, hasn't he? He's got the Melo Center to point to, the renovation of Manley, new turf in the Dome, new practice fields. He has gotten us into the ACC. We are leaving the Big East without a lawsuit. Many mock his NYC branding efforts, but to the outside world, they have been pretty successful.

I'm not happy with the team (no one is) but I'm not going to make judgement on Marrone until the end of the season. We're still mathematically in it for a bowl. If we get to 9 losses (which would be his worst season), I think Marrone should be let go.

However, I also think that if we get to 7 losses (bowl ineligible), he should start playing all the underclassmen - particularly the QBs. There's nothing else to play for except getting valuable game experience. There in lies the dilemma, should Marrone look to the future and play the youngsters or stick with the seniors and fight on to eek out another meaningless win or two to pad his record and save his job?

When this happened in Greg Paulus' year at QB, we thought that Nassib should have gotten more time than he did in those last few games, but Marrone didn't play him as the next QB, he still gave most of the snaps to Paulus.

He doesn't deserve that 5th year though. I would give him the benefit of the doubt if I saw ANY improvement. We make the same mistakes EVERY YEAR EVERY GAME. This team is flat out-undisciplined and his schtick is old. I want DM to succeed but keeping for that 5th year sets us back another 2 years with the new coaching staff. Nothing DM has done leads me to believe next year would be ANY different, thus you can't set your program back more by keeping him an additional year.

I disagree with that. We are better than we were under G Rob. We are fairly competent now. The lines are beginning to play well. Our guys look like big time football players -we've got size and speed at most positions.

We are roughly in the bad/declining Pasqualoni years - predictable play calls, shoot yourself in the foot turnovers and mistakes, execution problems. But the talent has been upgraded. Physically, we are beginning to match up with people again, instead of just getting steamrolled on both lines by bigger, better players.

If you don't see that level of improvement, then you're just too upset with recent game results. But the team is clearly better than it used to be a few years ago.

Excellent post. Gross only has one more football season before the new chancellor comes in. I don't think he's going to bag Marrone the year we enter the ACC. So Gross' future is in Doug's hands. Doug gets at least next year. If he bombs in his ACC debut, then with a new chancellor in place, I think Doug would get the ax, and Gross would probably have one more chance to make a hire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom