There is a reason Doug hasnot received an extension yet | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

There is a reason Doug hasnot received an extension yet

I disagree with that. We are better than we were under G Rob. We are fairly competent now. The lines are beginning to play well. Our guys look like big time football players -we've got size and speed at most positions.

We are roughly in the bad/declining Pasqualoni years - predictable play calls, shoot yourself in the foot turnovers and mistakes, execution problems. But the talent has been upgraded. Physically, we are beginning to match up with people again, instead of just getting steamrolled on both lines by bigger, better players.

If you don't see that level of improvement, then you're just too upset with recent game results. But the team is clearly better than it used to be a few years ago.
Of course we are better than we were under GROB, but GROB was the outlier. Marrone hasn't earned the 5th was my point if you give DM a 5th year with a new QB and replacing the OL we are going to lose another year when next year would be the honeymoon year for a new coaching staff.

Gross has been very good at raising money, hasn't he? He's got the Melo Center to point to, the renovation of Manley, new turf in the Dome, new practice fields. He has gotten us into the ACC. We are leaving the Big East without a lawsuit. Many mock his NYC branding efforts, but to the outside world, they have been pretty successful.

The Melo Center was largely Melo and Boeheim (as I understand it), we are behind in the arms race that is football facilities and I still don't see him connecting with the alum. We don't even have to get into how the Carrier Dome is run these days (personally, I don't have a problem), the inability to master the science that is scheduling football games or the fact that he will have had two failed stabs at hiring two head football coaches if the wishes of many here are granted. I'll give him the NYC campaign to some extent and that he did have a part in the ACC deal, but to believe he was responsible for getting us into the ACC on his own isn't credible. Oh yeah...leaving the ACC without a lawsuit really doesn't merit credit when the goodbye kiss comes at a price of $7.5 million.

I give him a C+/B-

The Melo Center was largely Melo and Boeheim (as I understand it), we are behind in the arms race that is football facilities and I still don't see him connecting with the alum. We don't even have to get into how the Carrier Dome is run these days (personally, I don't have a problem), the inability to master the science that is scheduling football games or the fact that he will have had two failed stabs at hiring two head football coaches if the wishes of many here are granted. I'll give him the NYC campaign to some extent and that he did have a part in the ACC deal, but to believe he was responsible for getting us into the ACC on his own isn't credible. Oh yeah...leaving the ACC without a lawsuit really doesn't merit credit when the goodbye kiss comes at a price of $7.5 million.

I give him a C+/B-
You can't deny the positive effect Gross has had on the non-revenue sports. We have several highly ranked programs now that were not even after-thoughts before Gross took over. Maybe some people on here don't care about those other sports, but I think a lot of people do.

I'm quickly losing my taste for hcdm but replacing him would be a TOXIC move. It'd set the program back another 5 years. Doug should get a 1 year extension.
agree last year i wanted a 3yr extension i am down to two or maybe one year.he has not grown in the position as much as expected he would---remains way too intractable,predictable and and set in his ways. can some one please explain to me why our st are so putrid?i don't think short of the offense line marrone should be anything but a head coach and delegate more. back the hell off,he's probably making the coaches a wreck.

I give him a C+/B-
who else do you think drove the acc move--just curious?

You can't deny the positive effect Gross has had on the non-revenue sports. We have several highly ranked programs now that were not even after-thoughts before Gross took over. Maybe some people on here don't care about those other sports, but I think a lot of people do.
That's why he gets a C+ as opposed to a C :)

IThere in lies the dilemma, should Marrone look to the future and play the youngsters or stick with the seniors and fight on to eek out another meaningless win or two to pad his record and save his job?

Marrone should try to win games. Last I heard, that's his job.

Another meaningless win to pad his record to save his job? Since when are wins meaningless? Wow.

who else do you think drove the acc move--just curious?
I wouldn't deny the input ADs have in the process, but I believe the member institution's presidents drive these decisions.

Marrone should try to win games. Last I heard, that's his job.

Another meaningless win to pad his record to save his job? Since when are wins meaningless? Wow.

Let's say we're 2-9 and going into the last game of season against Temple. Are you playing Nassib over Loeb? Chibane over Robinson/Foy? Sales over Broyld? Ri'shard Anderson over Wayne Morgan? Dan Vaughn? Win #3 is "meaningless" at that point; figuring out who's able to play for 2013 is much more important. Even if Temple has 5 wins at that point, game experience/auditioning is more important (in my opinion) than playing the role of spoiler to a team in a conference that we're leaving. Without burning any redshirts, underclassmen need playing time especially since it'll be Marrone's [recruited] players and perceived last chance to prove something.

I'm not saying all seniors take a seat for the last game of most of their careers. The underclassmen need to see the field and show their abilities. Instead of the end of the 2012 season, it could be looked upon as a 2013 pre-season game.

Someone else already pointed out that Nassib didn't play over Paulus so maybe that's Marrone's MO.

Hopefully, the last few games are meaningful and it doesn't get to that point.

I'm not saying all seniors take a seat for the last game of most of their careers. The underclassmen need to see the field and show their abilities. Instead of the end of the 2012 season, it could be looked upon as a 2013 pre-season game.

SR day is the Louisville game. If we have 7 Ls going into the Mizzou game and/or Temple game then we should work in the younger guys more than normally. The SRs should still start and play, but we should use them less. However I think we win the next two games so that Mizzou scenario likely never comes up.

Let's say we're 2-9 and going into the last game of season against Temple. Are you playing Nassib over Loeb? Chibane over Robinson/Foy? Sales over Broyld? Ri'shard Anderson over Wayne Morgan? Dan Vaughn? Win #3 is "meaningless" at that point; figuring out who's able to play for 2013 is much more important. Even if Temple has 5 wins at that point, game experience/auditioning is more important (in my opinion) than playing the role of spoiler to a team in a conference that we're leaving. Without burning any redshirts, underclassmen need playing time especially since it'll be Marrone's [recruited] players and perceived last chance to prove something.

Someone else already pointed out that Nassib didn't play over Paulus so maybe that's Marrone's MO.

Hopefully, the last few games are meaningful and it doesn't get to that point.
Marrone's MO is to play the players he believes give the best opportunity to win the game. That's why Paulus played and Nassib ended up starting the next 3 years. And with his job on the line, it would be really hard to ask him to not worry about a win and try to plan for next year so his replacement can hit the ground running. As Coach P found out, a single loss can determine whether or not a coach is fired. Or, if they preemptively tell Marrone he will be fired (ala GRob style) at the season end, they should just replace him with an asst. for the rest of the season. At that point, the assistant can determine who to start. I just don't see how Marrone, at this point, could be expected to do anything less than make winning a priority over tryouts/seasoning for next year.

Marrone's MO is to play the players he believes give the best opportunity to win the game. That's why Paulus played and Nassib ended up starting the next 3 years. And with his job on the line, it would be really hard to ask him to not worry about a win and try to plan for next year so his replacement can hit the ground running. As Coach P found out, a single loss can determine whether or not a coach is fired. Or, if they preemptively tell Marrone he will be fired (ala GRob style) at the season end, they should just replace him with an asst. for the rest of the season. At that point, the assistant can determine who to start. I just don't see how Marrone, at this point, could be expected to do anything less than make winning a priority over tryouts/seasoning for next year.

Like I've already said, I don't think winning game #3 (if that's what the season actually boils down to) will do anything different for Marrone's retainability. His die will already have been cast by that point.

I wouldn't deny the input ADs have in the process, but I believe the member institution's presidents drive these decisions.

Yes, but someone has to negotiate the deal points on the university's behalf. You think the President/Chancellor is sitting around negotiating the deal?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom