They love JB in Greensboro too... | Syracusefan.com

They love JB in Greensboro too...

CuseLegacy

Coach Boeheim: Love you, too Here comes Jim Boeheim.

Of all the things we’re about to inherit with the expansion of the ACC, one of the most fun will be the Syracuse basketball coach.

Love him or hate him, he’s part of the fabric of the game. He’ll be good for the league. Syracuse fans? We’ll wait and see.

Boeheim was asked about ACC tournaments possibly going to Madison Square Garden, and he took a shot at Greensboro.

“It’s a great place for a tournament,” he said of the Garden. “Where would you want to go to a tournament for five days? Let’s see, Greensboro, North Carolina, or New York City? Geez. Let me think about that one and get back to you.”

Yeah, he’s gonna be a lot of fun. But hey, he’s right. Well, maybe not for five days. Have you ever spent five days in New York City? After about three, it’s time to come home.

But we’ll get back to Boeheim in a few months. We’re busy right now with the harvest and fixin’ the barn and the tractor.

Yeah, he’s gonna be a lot of fun. But hey, he’s right. Well, maybe not for five days. Have you ever spent five days in New York City? After about three, it’s time to come home.

If the ACC tourney ever comes to the Big Apple, I would fully expect to see a few pop up Waffle Houses set up in midtown. That will keep the bumbkins happy for five days.

waffle-house.gif

I think he attempted to clarify his statement. (Actually Greensboro is a very nice little city). JB stated that he didn't mean it as a shot at Greensboro but rather he was considering the fans who would travel for a conference championship. Would they rather be in a Greensboro or in NYC or, for that matter, in Atlanta or Miami or Washington DC or even Charlotte (my addition) Greensboro is nice but for fans (from the North particularly) it is a no-brainer. Bigger city... better facilities ... better entertainment (outside of the games)... and better draw for all teams.

Nothing wrong with Waffle House.

waffle house is so much better than IHOP it is ridiculous.

There's nothing to apologize for with the NY vs. Greensboro comments, the idea of playing in a conference tournament anywhere but NYC makes me want to puke frankly, I don't care how cute or nice Greensboro is it shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as NYC/MSG. If that truth ruffles ACC feathers, good. As for the comment about Syracuse fans, the feeling is more than mutual, personally I'm not interested in developing any comradery with the rest of the league, but rather going in there and bitch-slapping the competition.

waffle house is so much better than IHOP it is ridiculous.
As with all franchises, it depends of the manager. I could show you Waffle Houses that you would run from.

There's a reason for that, after 3 days in NYC most tourists are broke.

I hear the BBQ is great in Greensboro. Looking forward to a new experience.

If the ACC tourney ever comes to the Big Apple, I would fully expect to see a few pop up Waffle Houses set up in midtown. That will keep the bumbkins happy for five days.

waffle-house.gif

North Carolina has not cornered the market on "bumpkins" and New York hasn't cornered the market on people of courtesy and civility.

Biggest hayseed I ever met owned a small farm near New Albion, NY, right up the road from my sister-in-law's country home (she lives in Buffalo). Which is fine by me; many of my Dad's people are North Alabama hillbillies, and many of my Mom's people are East Tennessee hillbillies. People like that may not be sophisticated, but they frequently have more common sense, and are more pleasant to be around, than those who think they're All That.

Still in all, I'd rather enjoy the cuisine in Manhattan than in Greensboro.

There's nothing to apologize for with the NY vs. Greensboro comments, the idea of playing in a conference tournament anywhere but NYC makes me want to puke frankly, I don't care how cute or nice Greensboro is it shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as NYC/MSG. If that truth ruffles ACC feathers, good. As for the comment about Syracuse fans, the feeling is more than mutual, personally I'm not interested in developing any comradery with the rest of the league, but rather going in there and bitch-slapping the competition.

Well then, bring it on, hotshot. I did a real quick check, looks like you only lost one senior from last year, is that right? He was a good one though, Rick Jackson brought home 13.1 points and 10.3 rebounds per and averaged .588 from the field. Guys like that don't grow on trees, especially in the rebounding department.

Wha's the plan for filling his shoes? Fab Melo?

Carolina lost a couple of seniors, but are still returning 64.8 ppg, 33.0 rpg and 5.1 bpg.

Plus we have two 5-star freshmen coming in, 6'8" James McAdoo and 6'5" P.J. Hairston. Some of your older fans may remember McAdoo's uncle Bob McAdoo who played for the old Buffalo Braves NBA squad in the early 70s.

Our starting five features 1 senior, 2 juniors and 2 sophomores, so we do have some experience. For my money, I prefer a title-contending team to feature nothing but seniors and juniors, but you can't have it all.

Rick will be replaced by Baye Moussa Keita, Fab Melo and 5 star Rakeem Christmas. We'll be alright on that avenue. We're pretty ecited about our team potential this year... and in years to come.

Well then, bring it on, hotshot. I did a real quick check, looks like you only lost one senior from last year, is that right? He was a good one though, Rick Jackson brought home 13.1 points and 10.3 rebounds per and averaged .588 from the field. Guys like that don't grow on trees, especially in the rebounding department.

Carolina lost a couple of seniors, but are still returning 64.8 ppg, 33.0 rpg and 5.1 bpg.

Plus we have two 5-star freshmen coming in, 6'8" James McAdoo and 6'5" P.J. Hairston. Some of your older fans may remember McAdoo's uncle Bob McAdoo who played for the old Buffalo Braves NBA squad in the early 70s.

Our starting five features 1 senior, 2 juniors and 2 sophomores, so we do have some experience. For my money, I prefer a title-contending team to feature nothing but seniors and juniors, but you can't have it all.

I expect Duke and Carolina to be worthy opponents. I'll be embarrassed should Syracuse finish behind any of the other crap in the ACC (excluding Pitt of course) any time soon. As for comparing teams this year, it's not all that relevant seeing how Cuse has at least one more season of playing in the Big East, but I'll indulge anyway. You'll find a lot of different opinions from different SU fans, however I would liken this year's team to last year's in that there's a lot of nice players but arguably no superstar a la Wes Johnson, Johnny Flynn, Hakim Warrick, Melo, etc. Rick Jackson was the team's top talent last year, an outstanding rebounder and defender, but not a juggernaut on offense, he could vanish in that aspect once in a while. Kris Joseph (SF, Sr.) led the team in scoring last year and would be the likely candidate to do so again, he's great off the dribble and in the open court, and added a respectable perimeter shot to his game last year...he'd be a great second option on offense but he's got improving to do to be considered an All American caliber player. Fifth year senior Scoop Jardine is back at the point, fans here have a love hate relationship with him, he's a good distributor who has a creative offensive game but can fall into the trap of taking too many shots, which IMO is due in part to the lack of a real stud on offense. Brandon Triche (Jr.) returns at the other guard, his uncle was on the 87 national runner up. Triche is another guy who will elicit various opinions here, some would say that, opposite of Jardine, he played a little too tentatively for a while to start the season, his numbers ended up being decent but not eye-popping. Along with being a smart, team-first guy, he's a strong defender at a legit 6-4 and built like a linebacker, you can't miss the biceps on this guy.

That is the core of this year's team, players who will be in a supporting role this year but who could make an impact in the ACC...it starts with the backcourt. Incoming freshman Michael Carter Williams was a McD AA, 6-5, long arms, great passer and scorer, the fanbase is very excited about him, though he's a lanky 175 (generous) and could stand to add some strength, it remains to be seen if he can make an impact this year as the guard pool is deep. Sophomore combo guard Dion Waiters was the top scorer off the bench last season, he was just outside McD AA territory as a consensus top 30 recruit...his talent is evident but he found himself in Boeheim's doghouse last year with some attitude/behavior issues. If he can clean up that downside of his freshman year he could have a great career. Trevor Cooney will be a long shot to play this year but we're hoping he overachieves on his top 100-ish ranking as he enters college (he did get offers from a lot of good programs though), he's a great shooter and has a strong hoops IQ, at 6-3 he should fit nicely into the zone when his turn comes. Onto the frontcourt...sophomore CJ Fair looks like the favorite to take the vacated starting forward spot this year, SU fans love this guy. More of a SF who has the length to play the 4 in the 2-3, he has a knack for getting good shots and was a mere .2 PPG behind Waiters last year as the 2nd highest scorer off the bench and is probably a better rebounder than Kris Joseph. As a side note he bears an uncanny resemblance to former SU wing Josh Pace, left-handed, small forward, same #5, however Fair is taller and possesses a decent looking jumper which should become a solid part of his game this year or next. The bigs should be solid if not excellent two years from now...Fab Melo was a disappointment for most of the year, however he was also playing with a torn muscle (calf?) for most of the season and frankly he needed to catch up both in the conditioning and skills department. He did have a pair of 10 point games in early March, hopefully something he can build on, he has great potential if his game can catch up to his body. Baye Moussa Keita came in last year as an unheralded freshman and won a lot of praise, he rebounded well and played his ass off on D, unfortunately a hand injury hindered his production late in the year but he made a great impression in his first season; if Melo flops Keita will be a fine backup plan, one of them will be the starting center this year. Incoming frosh Rakeem Christmas was a McD's AA, he's an impressive athlete at the 4 with long arms and an explosive vertical, however his game seems kind of raw, we'll see what kind of contribution he can make this year but his ceiling is high. James Southerland and Mookie Jones, both juniors, round out the current roster. Southerland is a legit 6-8 and no stiff athletically out there, but his greatest strength is shooting the three where he has proven deadly in modest opportunities. Jones is probably at the bottom of the depth chart, poor guy could be a decent scorer for a lesser program and has gotten some chances here and there as a strong perimeter shooter, but he tends to jack up a lot of shots when he sees the court and isn't exactly a defensive stalwart. So far the class of 2012 consists of one player, Jerami Grant, who projects as a combo forward and is currently in borderline top 50 territory. Cuse continues to pursue the highly regarded local product DaJuan Coleman, a 6-8 260 man-child--you may know him as UNC is amongst a number of big time programs chasing him. He should be SU's to lose but his dragging out of the commitment process has some uneasy. Anyway, that's one SU fan's take on the present and future.

I hear the BBQ is great in Greensboro. Looking forward to a new experience.

Not only great BBQ, but a lot of good restaurants in general. There's also a great live music venue very close to the coliseum if you like live music. You will also find the locals to be friendly and helpful. All at a very reasonable price.

:D

On 99.9 The Fan in Raleigh today a guy called in and had an interesting suggestion. The caller said when the ACC expands to 16 (probably BE teams or at the very least Northern teams) that the North does its own tourney in MSG and the South division do a tourney in Gboro, then have the two winners meet for a Monday night ESPN championship game in alternate venues. Not saying its the best thing, I think the decision will be made on where the most people will go to attend the tourney. JB was spot on in his comments.

Of all the things we’re about to inherit with the expansion of the ACC, one of the most fun will be the Syracuse basketball coach.

Love him or hate him, he’s part of the fabric of the game. He’ll be good for the league. Syracuse fans? We’ll wait and see.

Boeheim was asked about ACC tournaments possibly going to Madison Square Garden, and he took a shot at Greensboro.

“It’s a great place for a tournament,” he said of the Garden. “Where would you want to go to a tournament for five days? Let’s see, Greensboro, North Carolina, or New York City? Geez. Let me think about that one and get back to you.”

But we’ll get back to Boeheim in a few months. We’re busy right now with the harvest and fixin’ the barn and the tractor.

JB will never coach in the ACC. Participation is 3 yrs down the road as per Big East rules.

Well, we don't need to be "older" fans to know who Bob McAdoo is. But I will say, McAdoo impressed me more than anyone else in the McDonald's game. Watching that kid even in a ridiculous setting like that let me know that he's going to be a freaking stud.

I'm not trying to push NYC on the ACC, but it is the media capitol of the world and I attribute much/most of the BE's success to the fact the tourney was played there. Years ago, the ACC owned the NY/NJ/Conn/PA recruiting grounds but when the BE was born and especially when MSG got the tourney, the BE exploded because those kids started to stay home. Doesn't matter to me as I likely will never attend the ACC tourney in person where ever it's held, unless they decide to move it to Rochester :D But if the ACC brass is smart, and if they want to dominate the Atlantic seaboard, they will bring that tourney to NYC every year.

Well, we don't need to be "older" fans to know who Bob McAdoo is. But I will say, McAdoo impressed me more than anyone else in the McDonald's game. Watching that kid even in a ridiculous setting like that let me know that he's going to be a freaking stud.

Watched Bob McAdoo many times as a young kid at the "Aud" in Buffalo, - Ernie DiGregorio, Randy Smith, Tom Mcmillan, Gar Heard, John Schumate... Almost forgot Jack Marin (dookie) Oh yeah!!, pass the Geritol!

Yep...I was also really impressed with McAdoo. One of the more skilled/polished forwards I've seen in the last few years in that Burger Boy game.

Cuse continues to pursue the highly regarded local product DaJuan Coleman, a 6-8 260 man-child--you may know him as UNC is amongst a number of big time programs chasing him. He should be SU's to lose but his dragging out of the commitment process has some uneasy. Anyway, that's one SU fan's take on the present and future.

Agreed with much of what you said. I expect SU to be there in the top ten year in and year out. But to be fair UNC hasn't been in the Coleman picture for awhile now. That's just a strange, strange recruitment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom