They were leaving. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

They were leaving.

Yes, I am sure that is their rationale. But if you make the effort to come to a game, and then leave when the outcome is in doubt, it erases the the whole point of coming to the game! A couple in front of me (not season ticket holders) left early, then, to their credit, 5 minutes later came back and sat down. They got a few good-natured cat calls. I should have asked them if it was worth it after the game, but I was too busy hugging people.
there are tradeoffs. getting an extra half hour of sleep vs staying for the 5-10% chance of winning

i don't go to any weekday games because of it. i can't get there by 7 and 8 is to late. i think they need to start games at 7:23 just for me

I don't think that's the reason. I go to all the games and people have been leaving early on weekend games for years as well. They must need to "beat the traffic".

It's funny because a majority of people leave probably to beat the traffic and they end up sitting in traffic with other people who want to beat the traffic.

At least Apple TV is full screen. ESPN College Extra (same feed between it and Apple TV app) is letter-boxed crap.
huh? ESPN College Extra channels on Directv are full - not sure what you mean...

I couldn't take it and I turned the TV off at the 2 minute mark when they were down 7 and had two back to back empty possessions. Ya'll can thank me for the comeback. I did, however, follow the game on The Score app in bed and woke my wife up.
Had to give you 1000 likes!!!!

I watch on ESPN3, but I still get a much better quality experience on a traditional television broadcast. I suppose that may be my equipment, but I'd choose the DVR option everytime if it were available. I can't even get the ESPN 3 broadcast to appear full screen on my TV. When I go full screen on my laptop it does, but displays using only about 75% of my TV screen. But getting to see the game beats trying to follow it on gamecast or somewhere else with no video.
Setting problems somewhere.

There are a lot of casual fans that get free tickets that aren't there for the great game. If they were they wouldn't be hiking down to the can or concessions half a dozen times during the game. There are season ticket holders all around me that only show up for big games and then leave early as well. Different strokes.

Going with adults I've never left once with time on the clock. I have left early when I was carting around my ex's little ones. As unfortunate as it is sometimes you cannot help but getting them out of there when they're getting cranky or tired.

No excuse. You are supposed to support the team until the bitter end- up by 20, down by 20 or tied. Don't care, it is not respectful to the players to walk out. Plus it totally pisses me off that they keep interrupting my view.

Oh and both my husband & I are up he 5:15 and driving an hour and a half to get to work. I just got home and he won't be here for another hour+... So if you're going to go, STAY until the Final Buzzer

There are a lot of casual fans that get free tickets that aren't there for the great game. If they were they wouldn't be hiking down to the can or concessions half a dozen times during the game. There are season ticket holders all around me that only show up for big games and then leave early as well. Different strokes.

Then they suck, seriously...

It just wasn't when we were down either. I couldn't believe it but when we went into overtime there were still people heading for the exit. Why do they even pay for a ticket, stay home. Unreal. I don't care what time I get home I will stay till the last second and support my team no matter what.

It takes a special type of moron to leave an OT game. Why even go in the first place?

It's funny because a majority of people leave probably to beat the traffic and they end up sitting in traffic with other people who want to beat the traffic.
You are right. Yogi Berra once said that no one goes to that restaurant anymore because it's too crowded.

How can you explain fans turning off their TV's with 2 minutes to go then? Same concept? If that is so, then the whole "beating traffic" thing doesn't fly. I really think it is just anxiety for some people in large public crowds. I never quite understood this as well, I never miss a second, whether up 40 or down 40, live or on the tube. There are varying degrees of fandom, to each their own I suppose...

there are tradeoffs. getting an extra half hour of sleep vs staying for the 5-10% chance of winning

i don't go to any weekday games because of it. i can't get there by 7 and 8 is to late. i think they need to start games at 7:23 just for me
Not much sympathy for the fans west of Rochester here. I've been there.

Also, the whole they missed it thing is pure speculation. You hear it is tied it up and then pull into a bar and watch the OT.

How can you explain fans turning off their TV's with 2 minutes to go then? Same concept? If that is so, then the whole "beating traffic" thing doesn't fly. I really think it is just anxiety for some people in large public crowds. I never quite understood this as well, I never miss a second, whether up 40 or down 40, live or on the tube. There are varying degrees of fandom, to each their own I suppose...
how do you know many fans turned off their tvs?

how do you know many fans turned off their tvs?
I never said "many". There were at least 2 or 3 posters here who admitted to it , as well as seeing it mentioned in the past. Just makes me curious as to motives. I know that I, myself could or would never do that - I've been frustrated enough to want to before, just never would actually do it. I don't like to miss anything - positive or negative...

I do think there are many good, loyal fans who can't tolerate the anxiety. I am nearly one of them. I have a hard time watching games in real time, and for the away games I'm not watching with friends, I mess around with my DVR big time. I like to pause it, and go back and forth, getting a glimpse into the future, then racing back to the past. If friends text me I am apt to write I'M NOT IN REAL TIME! Alone, I am a mess. But if I am with people the anxiety is off-loaded somehow.

Fans leaving the Dome/Oyster early may not be able to tolerate the misery that comes with a loss. I should have more compassion for them. But they just make me mad. If I can deal with it, they should be able to as well!

Good point MGP. I'm like you, never miss a minute, although it can be really nerve-racking. However, watching on TV down here, sometimes my wife says "I just can't take it" when there's 2 min. left and goes into the bedroom until it's over. I think her problem is stress/anxiety related. The way we have played in the last two years, we rarely maintain a comfortable lead.

Last edited:
I never said "many". There were at least 2 or 3 posters here who admitted to it , as well as seeing it mentioned in the past. Just makes me curious as to motives. I know that I, myself could or would never do that - I've been frustrated enough to want to before, just never would actually do it. I don't like to miss anything - positive or negative...
One can learn a lot about players, coaches, teams and fans by watching them after the outcome of a game is decided.

Reactions: MGP
Nothing worse than DVR'ing a game and having the recording end before the game is over...

I lost the last 3 overtimes of the 6 overtime game.

I always put the tape 1 hour after the "expected" end point of the game to avoid just this problem. The 6 OT game wrecked my normally fool proof plan. The next morning, I found a friend who had DVRd it live and got to watch it.

Thank god! I went to bed pissed after one of our greatest victories because I missed it. I felt like Fallon in Fever Pitch.

Good point MGP. I'm like you, never miss a minute, although it can be really nerve-racking. However, watching on TV down here, sometimes my wife says "I just can't take it", and goes into the bedroom until it's over. I think her problem is stress/anxiety related. The way we have played in the last two years, we rarely maintain a comfortable lead.

If your behavior is anything like mine during a close game we should win easily, I bet you are creating the anxiety :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom